Why Did I Ever Watch This?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think it holds up better than the embarrassing movies. They do the same things the movie wanted to do, but in a way that didn't... well... suck. I was by far not impressed with either of the first 2 films, heard terrible things about the third one
Yeah don't bother seeing the third one; it was a mess. I like parts of 1 and 2 (mainly Nightcrawler and Wolverine, lol), but yeah from the beginning all these movies had problems.

Wolverine and the X-Men, however? I suggest checking that out. I only saw a couple, but they seemed solid. The original 90's series was good up to a point where they just kept repeating themselves and every character had one Mental breakdown an episode.
Yeah that might be interesting to check out. Somehow I missed the original X men cartoon so that's on my list of "Retro cartoons I need to see" as well, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah that might be interesting to check out. Somehow I missed the original X men cartoon so that's on my list of "Retro cartoons I need to see" as well, lol.
I haven't seen the series in years, but it's completely on DVD thanks to Disney (hey... first one they ever got right)... but I forget the jump off point. It's a good show until every character has mental breakdowns and it's all about "poor me" every episode. I think that's around 3rd season... I stopped watching after that. But the first couple of seasons were great.

Still, I wish I had the money to get the complete Wolverine and the X-Men... that was good for the few episodes I actually caught.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Pokemon, oh yes, Pokemon.

I haven't really watched a lot Nick's live-action shows since they disappeared but I'm sure if I watched them now I'd find them really stupid.

Surprisingly, when I was able to acquire a lot of Muppet Babies episodes when I was 13, I was incredibly underwhelmed by it. I haven't watched the show or have any interest in seeing it again since.

Oh, and Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue, enough said. Yeah, I was kind of 10 years behind everybody else. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh, and Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue, enough said. Yeah, I was kind of 10 years behind everybody else. :stick_out_tongue:
Lol, I remember our teacher showing us that back in the day. I actually think it holds up pretty well; it's not just your basic "drugs are bad."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pokemon, oh yes, Pokemon.
Okay, yeah, I fall into that same ship as well.

But I know WHY I ever watched it: it was new, it was "phenominal", it the was IT thing when it came out, it's what all us kids watched at that time, so... yeah. Really, the only reason I fell out of the craze was because after a while, it just got so goshdarn hard to keep up with! It was like every years, they kept adding at least a hundred new creatures, to the point where there's now like what? 400+ Pokemon? I just can't keep up with 'em all... and that was the whole premise... YA GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

Oh, and way back in 1998, I think Teletubbies had a Krofft-like effect on a lot of us: the show was supposed to be for little kids and all, but here we were 9-years-old, in Grade 4, watching Teletubbies... there was just something about how unusual it was that garnered out attention, much like how Saturday Morning Krofft shows aimed at kids kept drawing in the college stoners, lol.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Many of the shows I've recently watched(H.R. Puff N' Stuff especially), New Zoo Review, Zoom, Lancelot Link Secret Chimp, Batman(Adam West)..have me asking that question. I guess during my childhood, I accepted silliness and campy television shows. A lot of sitcoms from my childhood that I've been watching at Hulu.com having me asking that too: The Facts of Life, Soap, Different Strokes, Barney Miller.

Granted, I'll still watch all of these shows from time to time now, but it's mostly for the nostalgia.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
It's only happened to me once significantly. As a young adult I watched the old Babar cartoon series on television. I thought I really liked it but when it was re-run later I found I simply couldn't get my interest captivated second time round.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Pretty much every post-1964 Hanna-Barbera cartoon. With a few exceptions (particularly Wacky Races), I can't stand that late 60's/70's HB stuff anymore yet I ate all those Scooby-Doo ripoffs and wooden Yogi Bear offshoots as a kid.

I had that kind of reaction when I re-watched an episode of Cousin Skeeter not long ago. It came off very corny.
Inspired by this post, I rewatched Cousin Skeeter. Yeah, this show isn't as funny as I remember it being. It's literally just ALF with a black kid instead of an alien (I hate to describe it that way but it really is that).

Come to think of it, ALF isn't as funny as I remembered it being as a kid. I still like it but it's not as bursting-a-gut-laughing funny as I remember it being.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score

But I know WHY I ever watched it: it was new, it was "phenominal", it the was IT thing when it came out, it's what all us kids watched at that time, so... yeah. Really, the only reason I fell out of the craze was because after a while, it just got so goshdarn hard to keep up with! It was like every years, they kept adding at least a hundred new creatures, to the point where there's now like what? 400+ Pokemon? I just can't keep up with 'em all... and that was the whole premise... YA GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!
yeah, i recently watched an older episode of pokemon again and it just didnt have the same effect. however I am still a die-hard fan of the games. there is actually now 600+ (I think 649) and they have looooooong since abandoned the Gotta CAtch Em All tagline.

The Wubbulous World of Dr Seuss. I LOVED that show as a kid but i watched it on netflix and was just incredibly bored with it :/

Drtooth

Reaction score

The only thing I ever felt enjoyable about the series were those strange "filler" episodes where they humanize the villains. For the longest time I felt the villains were the only thing that made the show even remotely worth while... until I found out they stole the villains completely from a superior series of anime, Time Bokan... all featured 3 villains, a gangly guy with a mustache (Nintendo stole him twice, once for "Warluigi"), a dumpy muscular guy, and a 30 year old vain exaggeratedly attractive woman... sure. Pokemon turned the Gnangly guy into an androgynous guy and the dumpy guy into a cat... but even the best part of the show was a trope, stolen from something better that the US will never get.

I really think Pokemon hurt the integrity of international animation in the US... especially when we got literally nothing but toyetic or toy based animes to this day. Beyblade? Are you KIDDING me?

Pretty much every post-1964 Hanna-Barbera cartoon. With a few exceptions (particularly Wacky Races), I can't stand that late 60's/70's HB stuff anymore yet I ate all those Scooby-Doo ripoffs and wooden Yogi Bear offshoots as a kid.
HB's 1970's stuff... except for Hong Kong Phooey that is... maybe some Scooby-Doo stuff in that era, wasn't all that great. I never liked Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan. I mean, what the heck was that?

As for me, I'm growing less and less a fan of those early Mighty Mouse cartoons where the concept never went beyond cat and mouse with a twist. I still enjoy the operatic ones with Oil Can Harry and Pearl and some of the late 60's ones, I especially love the Filmation and Ralph Bakshi series... but those old ones where he didn't talk... just don't seem that fun to me anymore.