Why Did I Ever Watch This?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only thing I ever felt enjoyable about the series were those strange "filler" episodes where they humanize the villains. For the longest time I felt the villains were the only thing that made the show even remotely worth while... until I found out they stole the villains completely from a superior series of anime, Time Bokan... all featured 3 villains, a gangly guy with a mustache (Nintendo stole him twice, once for "Warluigi"), a dumpy muscular guy, and a 30 year old vain exaggeratedly attractive woman... sure. Pokemon turned the Gnangly guy into an androgynous guy and the dumpy guy into a cat... but even the best part of the show was a trope, stolen from something better that the US will never get.

I really think Pokemon hurt the integrity of international animation in the US... especially when we got literally nothing but toyetic or toy based animes to this day. Beyblade? Are you KIDDING me?
One thing that makes me laugh even to this day is a time on Whose Line? when they were playing a round of Film, TV & Theater Styles (where Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, and the recurring performer act out a scene, while Drew Carey has them change the style based on suggestions from the audience), and suddenly, Drew had them do Pokemon... and it would seem that Ryan and Kathy Greenwood were completely stumped, because they just stood there doing nothing, while Colin suddenly started pouncing around, going "Pikachu! Pikachu!" in a Pikachu voice... he was just about the only one who knew what to do, mainly because his son Luke was a big Pokemaniac as well, so his son probably familiarized him with the characters and such.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what gets me? Why the heck did they need to create Pichu? Pikachu not cute enough for you? leave it to Japanese artists to lead the way in over the top cuteness technology!

I do like Meowth and maybe Lickytongue... but I really don't care about this one.

Rose

Reaction score
I see what you mean, BUT...one thing you have to take into concideration when watching shows from your childhood. Ofcourse you're not going to have the same reaction that you did as a child. 'omemon if we really reacted the way we did when we were children we would look pretty silly now in a sence.
Not trying to diss anyone so please,please don't take offence. I'm one for reliving our childhood but not to when you start to get lost in it to the point where we are trying to relive the past. Do that too much and you miss the whole picture on what life is all labout.
I anjoy discussing shows from my past and listening to what others have to say about it. It makes me feel good to know there's likeminded people in the words and that's what makes life really worth while. :smile:

Here's a question for you...
Have you ever had one of those moments where you watch a TV show or movie you used to watch when you were a kid and as you watch it as an adult, you think, "Wow, why did I ever watch this?" when you look back and realize it's not that good? I sure have, but I can't think of any of the top of my head.

Tell me what you think.

Yorick

Reaction score
The Wubbulous World of Dr Seuss. I LOVED that show as a kid but i watched it on netflix and was just incredibly bored with it :/
I never had a chance to see it, so I bought a DVD once, and it has an episode where it's the birthday of Terrence (the bird) and the cat in the hat has a surprise, so he's acting like he doesn't know.

Terrence: Do you know what today is?
Cat: It's your biiiiiiiiir...
Terrence: yeah! yeah!
Cat: Bird bath day!

And it goes on with that teasing, and it's REALLY funny to me :smile:

I don't know if they all lived up to that, though. But I loved the design and feel of the whole thing...Suess meets Henson, and I love it. I always wanted to see an episode with the grinch!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Grinch was on that show...

Come to think of it, ALF isn't as funny as I remembered it being as a kid. I still like it but it's not as bursting-a-gut-laughing funny as I remember it being.
I've actually been watching ALF pretty recently on DVD and I love it! I loved it as a kid and I still love watching it now. I really don't think there are any shows that I liked as a kid that I don't still enjoy watching now. I mean- considering that there are a lot of adults who enjoy watching Sesame Street still (and I know there are some things on the show that are aimed more at the adults, mainly for the parents watching with their kids...)- but yeah- I still love Sesame Street and I don't care.:super:
Of course, I don't have the excuse of being married and having kids... thank goodness I have nephews and nieces. And we do watch some Sesame Street videos together- though of course, I also like to watch just for myself anyway. But it's a good excuse to have handy if you get weird looks at the local library when you're checking out all the Sesame Street DVDs.:smile:
Anyway- getting off my meandering and getting back to ALF- for any ALF fans there, if you get the chance you should really check out Marvel's comic books run on ALF- it went for 50 issues and they're all really hilarious! There are times when I've found those to be even funnier than the show itself- though I do think the show is still funny too. It's all good- the "Project: ALF" movie- that is totally hilarious! And the ALF cartoon series and ALF Tales are both great too- wish the rest of the series would get released to DVD. I saw a little bit of ALF's Hit Talk Show and that was pretty good too- it would be nice to have that 7 episode long show on DVD too.

Yorick

Reaction score
You're right :smile: I meant that I had hoped I would get the chance to see one of the episodes they made with the Grinch.

I agree on liking all the versions of Alf! The talk show was neat, and hopefully they will put it on DVD, just like Mr. T's "I Pity The Fool" series, which also didn't last, despite being an equally nice prime time comeback from an 80's icon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something more current.

When CougarTown first came out a year ago, I actually watched it, and liked it... until about halfway through the first season when the characters really became plastic, didn't evolve, and basically... as it's the same creator... gave everyone on the show the immature bad qualities of J.D. an Turk without making them remotely likable. When the creator said he was going to change the name, I thought to myself, too bad "Arrested Development" was taken.

And must they have to play "PENNY CA-A-A-A-A-AN" in every goshdarn episode? Annoying!

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
For me, definitely Power Rangers. My brother and I were obsessed with that show for years, especially the Green/White Ranger. My brother thought he was cool, I thought he was hot. Even my mom thought he was hot! I remember the two of us together owned every Zord made up until the Ninjazord and we each owned a toy trunk filled with trading cards, action figures, and any other bits of plastic or cardboard that bore the Power Rangers logo Wal-Mart could stock. I remember begging my mom to get the Jell-O that had a picture of the Power Rangers on the front just to have the empty box. We even convinced her to buy us a promotional banner for the movie from McDonald's featuring the White Ranger (which I hope to get autographed by Jason Frank at some point). Shortly after that movie is when we lost interest.

A few years ago I went to a con with my boyfriend and they screened three episodes of Power Rangers. I couldn't believe I used to love the show so much. I still enjoyed it, but only because of nostalgia and how hilariously corny it was. Last year I watched a review of the movie and a few clips of it on YouTube and understand why I lost interest around that time. It's horrible!

ilovemusic

Reaction score
Nah. Anyway I'm no adult but I can remember a serie which is freaking me out now.
Ahum.
The teletubbies. (I've got still a la-la plushe-- the yellow freakin' doll)