Why Did I Ever Watch This?

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
I love the first GhostBusters movie... loved it then and I love it now. But when I was growing up in the 80s, I loved the cartoon as well (The Real Ghostbusters)... a mate of mine just lent me the 1st season of the Real GB on DVD so I could rewatch some of the old episodes. I sat through one episode and that was all I could watch! :insatiable:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There's not much I used to watch that doesn't hold up in one way or another these days. I've already stated my particular dislike of the Muppet Babies cartoon, but I did wake up early to watch it the first two seasons and collected a lot of the merchandise. I suppose the nail in the coffin for me was when they axed the promising Little Muppet Monsters half hour. I now understand its cancellation after re-watching the episodes loaded to YouTube a while ago. The spark was there but they all played out like test episodes and not the finished polish we expect from the Muppets.While the shrill voice "talent" that gave us Baby Piggy, Baby Gonzo and Baby Skeeter never had my seal of approval, I saw enough in the original music numbers and imaginative stories to enjoy the first season. Looking back, there's not much I like. Well, how can you not love this fella?

Nick22

Reaction score
i can't rully think of any movies or shows i watched when i was rully little that i hate now. i used to LOVE disney channel, but the shows that were on there when i liked it weren't horrible. so i dunno

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's not much I used to watch that doesn't hold up in one way or another these days. I've already stated my particular dislike of the Muppet Babies cartoon, but I did wake up early to watch it the first two seasons and collected a lot of the merchandise. I suppose the nail in the coffin for me was when they axed the promising Little Muppet Monsters half hour. I now understand its cancellation after re-watching the episodes loaded to YouTube a while ago. The spark was there but they all played out like test episodes and not the finished polish we expect from the Muppets.While the shrill voice "talent" that gave us Baby Piggy, Baby Gonzo and Baby Skeeter never had my seal of approval, I saw enough in the original music numbers and imaginative stories to enjoy the first season. Looking back, there's not much I like. Well, how can you not love this fella?
it's not that you don't have a point, and I see what you're saying... but I can't abide by calling Russi Taylor, one of the finest voice actresses around a sarcastically toned "Talent." In fact, I find her Baby Gonzo to be the third closest to sounding like the actual puppet character. Though I do agree with Piggy... she does have a very annoying voice that grates.

I still say if you look at it from the perspective that it is a preschool - first grade type show, it holds up quite well, especially compared to the annoying (and lazy) pre-preschool kiddy fare where characters constantly ask where something right next to them is. Yes, it doesn't quite hold up to the Muppets... but I don't think Muppets and animation (outside of Sesame that is) mixed well UNTIL Dog City. But as a show for kids way too younger for He-man and Transformers of that era, it at least spares them from the sickeningly saccharine exploits of Care Bears and Ponies and Rainbow Fruitcakes.

As for the rest of the subject, I still feel most of the stuff I watched holds up decently, even some of the corny stuff. I find things like Captain N (at least the first 2 season... and even then, I'll be generous and include "A Tale of Two Dogs" and that Castlevania 3 based episode from season 3) fun cereal fare (like popcorn movies... only breakfast cereal and cartoons). Some of the second season episodes were QUITE good, and it's a shame that the series didn't have that tone the whole way through.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The Dukes of Hazzard. It's embarrassingly bad.
Really? I like The Dukes of Hazzard just fine. (The TV show that is- I'm fine with The Dukes spin-off cartoon too. But the movies are horrible.)
But it's not like it's my favorite show in the world either- but I think it's good, clean fun.:smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
anyone remember pinnochio with pee wee herman?
You mean like in Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre? I just got the box set for Christmas, lol. I haven't seen the Pee Wee Herman one yet, but I remember seeing the previews back in the day.

For the box set as a whole, I actually like the show even more than when I was a kid, there's so many adult jokes that went over my head at the time, lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
it's not that you don't have a point, and I see what you're saying... but I can't abide by calling Russi Taylor, one of the finest voice actresses around a sarcastically toned "Talent." In fact, I find her Baby Gonzo to be the third closest to sounding like the actual puppet character. Though I do agree with Piggy... she does have a very annoying voice that grates.

I still say if you look at it from the perspective that it is a preschool - first grade type show, it holds up quite well, especially compared to the annoying (and lazy) pre-preschool kiddy fare where characters constantly ask where something right next to them is. Yes, it doesn't quite hold up to the Muppets... but I don't think Muppets and animation (outside of Sesame that is) mixed well UNTIL Dog City. But as a show for kids way too younger for He-man and Transformers of that era, it at least spares them from the sickeningly saccharine exploits of Care Bears and Ponies and Rainbow Fruitcakes.

As for the rest of the subject, I still feel most of the stuff I watched holds up decently, even some of the corny stuff. I find things like Captain N (at least the first 2 season... and even then, I'll be generous and include "A Tale of Two Dogs" and that Castlevania 3 based episode from season 3) fun cereal fare (like popcorn movies... only breakfast cereal and cartoons). Some of the second season episodes were QUITE good, and it's a shame that the series didn't have that tone the whole way through.
I'm sorry. I just can't agree with that. I'm sure her work elsewhere was great, but her voice work for the Babies and Gonzo was so awful it still makes me want to get all stabby with an icepick to my ears. :grouchy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I just can't agree with that. I'm sure her work elsewhere was great, but her voice work for the Babies and Gonzo was so awful it still makes me want to get all stabby with an icepick to my ears.
To each their own. :smile: Baby Gonzo was one of my favorites back in the day. And I always thought Baby Piggy was hilarious, lol. :concern::mad:

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
Yeah thats the one! Faerie Tale Theatre. I remember the Pinocchio episode had James Coburn in it as well... and I think Michael Richards (Kramer) was in it as his henchman. It was a... disturbing short film. It really freaked me out as a kid. :wink:

You mean like in Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre? I just got the box set for Christmas, lol. I haven't seen the Pee Wee Herman one yet, but I remember seeing the previews back in the day.