1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Movies205, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

???? I liked it anyone else like it?

Muppet Master likes this.
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

The premise behind it and the format wasn't too bad - i think some of the new characters made it too different from the Muppet show for the general public to really take to it.

3. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

I blame it on the fact that it was a moving target. They always changed the day and time of the show week after week, and there's no way the ratings could improve. Not to mention it was amidst a lousy block of programming.

4. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

It use to be on TGIF during it's last days. Then it moved to sunday at 7 or something. Who would remeber that? Then it moved to the Disney channel which really up set me at the time because I didn't have cable. I liked Muppets Tonight and I think if it was given the proper chance it would have done better. I'd like to see a new muppet show on NBC during the must see tv lineup! Friends is supposedly leaving and I think a real slam bang muppet show would fill a spot on NBC. Maybe not the Friends time slot but definatly one of the others during prime time. We've all heard of the plans for the muppets on FOX but FOX really doesn't have a line up anymore. NBC is stronger right now, I feel, and it would be neat to see the Muppets back on NBC.

5. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

what station was Muppet Show on?

6. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

haven't you heard....friends will probably be back for another year and a movie for next year from what i heard...

ryan

7. ryhoyarbie

i always thought having shows on friday nights just lets people know that the networks don't care about those shows....tgif used to be great, when people watched it, then peopel started doing stuff on fridays and people stopped watching tv on fridays..thats why muppets tonight probably didn't do that good.....

and on that note, as anyone noticed that the drew carey show has been moved to friday nights?....first they were on wednesdays for a good many years, then at the beginning of this past year, they got movied to monday before monday night football, which is a cool idea, now they're on fridays, and no one watches tv fridays........that show is going down in the ratings, and i like that show...poor drew carey...

ryan

8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

What I think really happened -

Disney didn't know what to do with Muppets Tonight so they killed it. Most people didn't even know it was on. It wasn't continuously on either. It was a mid season replacement without very strong promotional backing. Only half of the 22 episodes actually aired on ABC.

It received good numbers. There was viewership, but Disney had recently acquired ABC. When new people come into a company they want to make their own mark and often kill off pet projects of others. (Management changes partly killed Fraggle Rock on HBO.)

The show didn't feature enough classic characters. Henson finally figured that out with the Christmas special. New Muppets are fine, but we want to see a lot of our classic characters too. But I can't say that was responsible for the show being axed. Good episodes like Prince (who never makes appearances) on Muppets Tonight never aired on ABC. Only on Disney Channel.

So my opinion is that Disney screwed it up. Muppets Tonight was not the only casualty during that period either.

9. ryhoyarbie

i still think if muppets tonight was aired on a tuesday like 7 30 instead of fridays, a lot of people would probably have watched it

ryan

10. pezbalubah

pezbalubah Member

With the absence of many of the classic characters, and Kermit being replaced by Clifford (which at the time seemed like a lame lame attempt at making a "homey" muppet to be hip with the times) some people were probably turned off from that, but the main reason probably was it was because it was a Friday night and kids who grew up watching the rest of the TGIF shows that were now past their prime (Family Matters, Step by Step) were now teenagers with better things to do on Friday nights, and the parents that watched those shows with their kids probably stopped watching as well. I really liked the show but only saw 3 episodes being I was busy the other nights it aired. I think for the new show, a perfect spot would be somewhere in between the Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, and Andy Richter.

11. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

In answer to your question, Movies205, the original Muppet Show was syndicated so it was on a different station in each area. I think they could bring back "Muppets Tonight!" maybe on a different network, or maybe something where Kermit's the host again and possibly they use more of characters like Rowlf, Scooter and the Electric Mayhem.

12. Luke

Luke Active Member

You could say it was the time slot or promotion that got it cancelled, but i really do think it was the overall show as to why it wasn't popular. Here in the UK people are even more Muppet crazy than in the states, the show was on the second main terrestrial channel, and it had a primetime slot - it still bombed !

13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

The reason it bombed over there is because it originated over here in the US. It bombed here, and I (whether true or not) blame the station and time it was on. Mainly because I dislike Disney and all related things to it. I can't STAND the majority of the shows it puts out. (except Drew Carey and Who's Line is it Anyway. Hate Life with Bonnie and that other Andy Dick show, whatever it's called. They tried to recreate his NewsRadio character, and failed miserably. It just ain't funny!) So, you can blame the show if you like. I blame Disney and us ROTEEN Americans who can't figure out the difference between a lightbulb and a light switch, let alone good TV from bad TV. (notice, Life with Bonnie and that other show are still going strong, yet where is Muppets tonight and all the other good shows ABC's canceled?)

No offense to Sam the Eagle, (or anyone else on here, including myself as I am, unfortunately, included as an Amertican) Americans are... nevermind. Polotics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Luke

Luke Active Member

Lots of U.S shows are successful here, some even more successful. I just think people were tuning in expecting the Muppet Show and got Muppet's Tonight instead.

15. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Yeah, but the point is, it wasn't successful here! It may have been over there (was it?) but, even though it was an excellent show, nobody is going to tune in for a half hour to see puppets!

It's sad.

16. Luke

Luke Active Member

Ummm no it wasn't successful here, read back - the point is it wasn't really succesful anywhere. A show doesn't have to be successful in the states for it to get carried - look at the Muppet Show which was commisioned and made in the UK. The general public probably wouldn't think it is an excellent show as it didn't have what they were expecting, but viewed in itself it was pretty ok, it just wasn't the Muppet Show. Plenty of people tune in for half hour to see Puppets - Hoobs, BITBBH, ALF, Greg The Bunny. Maybe Disney buried it but Henson were in charge of the overall product - people and the TV companies were expecting something as strong as the Muppet Show and they didn't get it - period !

Y'know if people aren't gonna tune in for half hour to see puppets Henson are gonna have major problems on Fox ! Is there a point in them doing it ? :rolleyes: The idea is they come up with a strong format and mix the classic Muppets with much stronger new characters (like they managed with Pepe) and produce something that fits in with todays style of entertainment and viewers.

17. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Ya I was a little tune off to see kermit not leading the show anymore it just wasn't rite...

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It never really bombed

Geez, did I miss something? It never really bombed. It did respectfully and pulled in the same numbers as the shows around it. I kept up with them in Variety. But it should have done better. Just don't like to see people stating the B word when it really isn't warranted.

19. Luke

Luke Active Member

Well without using the dreded 'B' word, it didn't do well at all here - especially for the high profile channel and timelsot. I think people had higher expectations because the classic Muppets are still so popular in the UK.

20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Ahh. It just didn't bomb here. I'm not sure if a high profile US slot would have helped it then. hmmm.