Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

In answer to your question, Movies205, the original Muppet Show was syndicated so it was on a different station in each area. I think they could bring back "Muppets Tonight!" maybe on a different network, or maybe something where Kermit's the host again and possibly they use more of characters like Rowlf, Scooter and the Electric Mayhem.

Luke

Reaction score
You could say it was the time slot or promotion that got it cancelled, but i really do think it was the overall show as to why it wasn't popular. Here in the UK people are even more Muppet crazy than in the states, the show was on the second main terrestrial channel, and it had a primetime slot - it still bombed !

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The reason it bombed over there is because it originated over here in the US. It bombed here, and I (whether true or not) blame the station and time it was on. Mainly because I dislike Disney and all related things to it. I can't STAND the majority of the shows it puts out. (except Drew Carey and Who's Line is it Anyway. Hate Life with Bonnie and that other Andy Dick show, whatever it's called. They tried to recreate his NewsRadio character, and failed miserably. It just ain't funny!) So, you can blame the show if you like. I blame Disney and us ROTEEN Americans who can't figure out the difference between a lightbulb and a light switch, let alone good TV from bad TV. (notice, Life with Bonnie and that other show are still going strong, yet where is Muppets tonight and all the other good shows ABC's canceled?)

No offense to Sam the Eagle, (or anyone else on here, including myself as I am, unfortunately, included as an Amertican) Americans are... nevermind. Polotics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke

Reaction score
Lots of U.S shows are successful here, some even more successful. I just think people were tuning in expecting the Muppet Show and got Muppet's Tonight instead.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah, but the point is, it wasn't successful here! It may have been over there (was it?) but, even though it was an excellent show, nobody is going to tune in for a half hour to see puppets!

It's sad.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Yeah, but the point is, it wasn't successful here! It may have been over there (was it?) but, even though it was an excellent show, nobody is going to tune in for a half hour to see puppets!
Ummm no it wasn't successful here, read back - the point is it wasn't really succesful anywhere. A show doesn't have to be successful in the states for it to get carried - look at the Muppet Show which was commisioned and made in the UK. The general public probably wouldn't think it is an excellent show as it didn't have what they were expecting, but viewed in itself it was pretty ok, it just wasn't the Muppet Show. Plenty of people tune in for half hour to see Puppets - Hoobs, BITBBH, ALF, Greg The Bunny. Maybe Disney buried it but Henson were in charge of the overall product - people and the TV companies were expecting something as strong as the Muppet Show and they didn't get it - period !

Y'know if people aren't gonna tune in for half hour to see puppets Henson are gonna have major problems on Fox ! Is there a point in them doing it ? :rolleyes: The idea is they come up with a strong format and mix the classic Muppets with much stronger new characters (like they managed with Pepe) and produce something that fits in with todays style of entertainment and viewers.

Movies205

Reaction score
Ya I was a little tune off to see kermit not leading the show anymore it just wasn't rite...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It never really bombed

Geez, did I miss something? It never really bombed. It did respectfully and pulled in the same numbers as the shows around it. I kept up with them in Variety. But it should have done better. Just don't like to see people stating the B word when it really isn't warranted.

Luke

Reaction score
Well without using the dreded 'B' word, it didn't do well at all here - especially for the high profile channel and timelsot. I think people had higher expectations because the classic Muppets are still so popular in the UK.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ahh. It just didn't bomb here. I'm not sure if a high profile US slot would have helped it then. hmmm.