Why did they change Gobo's look?

Reaction score
In Fraggle Rock they went from the original Gobo fraggle to another variation of him. Why? I mean the newer version is better but it seems very odd to change a main characters appeal right at the TV shows popularity take off so to speak.

It always confused me.I know some will say "He got older and wiser" but I doubt that is what the puppeteers were saying. I could be wrong.

Frogster

Reaction score
I believe they did this because when he has his purple cardigan on, he kind of looks more like a kid, but when he has his explorer's jacket on, he's older or at least more mature-looking and somewhat of an established explorer. I think they changed it to show he's not a kid fraggle anymore; with that jacket on, he looks more like a leader. And I think they changed him, also, due to his hair style. :smirk:

Xerus

Reaction score
And they also gave Gobo bigger eyes and some eyelids as well.

Also Ma Gorg went through some changes the same time the new Gobo came out. Ma used to have her hair down and was always frowning. But now her hair's done up and she's smiling, and later she got herself a new voice.

Whatever

Reaction score
What I really noticed is that the hair style changed. The early version is more fluffy and out of control looking.

chikara

Reaction score
It happened to many Muppets too !

Not only Gobo's look changed, check some of the first Muppet Shows and you will see the first variations of Miss Piggy, Fozzie and several others whose appearance changed for the better along the way. I guess once a series is a success people will comment on things that the producers will then change. Also success is needed to bring in the money to change things for the better. It's called "Evolution" :excited:

AmazingMumford

Reaction score
I think Gobo was younger when the show first started. In the episode from season 2 when Uncle Matt comes for a visit. Gobo tells everyone when Uncle Matt left home, Gobo was just a kid :smirk: :smirk: :smirk

Foodie

Reaction score
AmazingMumford said:
I think Gobo was younger when the show first started. In the episode from season 2 when Uncle Matt comes for a visit. Gobo tells everyone when Uncle Matt left home, Gobo was just a kid :smirk: :smirk: :smirk
I remember that. : :smirk: :

Nick