1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Why did they change Gobo's look?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Frisky Fraggle, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Frisky Fraggle

Frisky Fraggle New Member

In Fraggle Rock they went from the original Gobo fraggle to another variation of him. Why? I mean the newer version is better but it seems very odd to change a main characters appeal right at the TV shows popularity take off so to speak.

It always confused me.I know some will say "He got older and wiser" but I doubt that is what the puppeteers were saying. I could be wrong.

2. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

I've never noticed that before. Do you have any examples?

3. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I believe they did this because when he has his purple cardigan on, he kind of looks more like a kid, but when he has his explorer's jacket on, he's older or at least more mature-looking and somewhat of an established explorer. I think they changed it to show he's not a kid fraggle anymore; with that jacket on, he looks more like a leader. And I think they changed him, also, due to his hair style. :smirk:

4. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

I will have to look for that when the later season box sets come out.

5. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

And they also gave Gobo bigger eyes and some eyelids as well.

Also Ma Gorg went through some changes the same time the new Gobo came out. Ma used to have her hair down and was always frowning. But now her hair's done up and she's smiling, and later she got herself a new voice.

6. AbsorbedByPsych

AbsorbedByPsych New Member

7. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

What I really noticed is that the hair style changed. The early version is more fluffy and out of control looking.

8. chikara

chikara New Member

It happened to many Muppets too !

Not only Gobo's look changed, check some of the first Muppet Shows and you will see the first variations of Miss Piggy, Fozzie and several others whose appearance changed for the better along the way. I guess once a series is a success people will comment on things that the producers will then change. Also success is needed to bring in the money to change things for the better. It's called "Evolution" :excited:

9. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford New Member

I think Gobo was younger when the show first started. In the episode from season 2 when Uncle Matt comes for a visit. Gobo tells everyone when Uncle Matt left home, Gobo was just a kid :smirk: :smirk: :smirk

10. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

I remember that. : :smirk: :

Nick

11. Mokey Fraggle

Mokey Fraggle New Member

At the end of "Uncle Matt Comes Home", after Gobo and Uncle Matt have made up, Matt looks at Gobo and tells him that he has "grown up". This is what always convinced me that Gobo was a kid fraggle in the early shows and matured as the series progressed. Now that I think about it, Red was the only character who never changed at all. Gobo's change was obvious, Mokey's voice changed somewhat and she wore a sweater underneath her robe in the later episodes, Boober's hair was a lot longer in the earlier episodes, and Wembley's eyes seemed to look different in the beginning. Does anyone agree, or is it all in my head?

12. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford New Member

No your'e right, every charachter except Red changed. Also Wembley's voice changed. He seemed like he had more energy in his voice later, or mabye he was louder.

13. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Wembly never seemed to change nor did Boober. Gobo was the only obvious change. Well, him and Ma Gorg. That first Ma Gorg was UGLY!

The Gobo prototype figure seemes to have a gead sculpt like the early Gobo.