Why didn't Jim Henson direct The Muppet Movie?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody ever wonder why Jim Henson didn't direct The Muppet Movie? I thought that Jim Henson would have wanted to be a film director, yet for the Muppets big-screen debut, James Frawlry, who as far as I know had no previous experience with The Muppets, directed it.

One of the muppet morsels said that Jim Henson had wanted to be a film director, and the success of The Muppet Show allowed his dream to come true. However, as I said, he didn't direct The Muppet Movie, and he would only direct three movies. Even if one was to think that it would be hard to direct and act in the same movie, directing and acting should be easier for a puppeteer, since the performer looks at what he or she is doing on a monitor.

Or, if Henson couldn't direct the first movie, I wonder if Henson had ever considered having somebody that he worked with more direct The Muppet Movie. Somebody like Phillip Casson, Peter Harris, or Jon Stone.

BEAR

Reaction score
I dunno, but atleast he directed The Great Muppet Caper, and then Frank Oz directed Muppets Take Manhattan.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I think it was a matter of delegating responsibility. Jim has always had his hands in everything, but between Sesame Street, The Muppet Show and various specials and TV appearances, him helming an entire movie would have been impossible for him. Jim Frawley was (and is) an established and respected director in the industry, and well versed in comedy and improv, so I imagine Jim saw him as the best man for the job. It should also be noted that Jim never directed any Muppet Show episodes either, so it shouldn't be too surprising that he didn't direct The Muppet Movie, I think.

Brinatello

Reaction score
Directing is a huge responsibility, and perhaps Jim was unable to do it due to starring in the movie and among other things. He did direct "Labyrinth" and had no starring role in it, nor any voices (that I could think of at this time). It's either one or the other, I guess. It is possible to direct and be in the movie, but it's also a lot more stressful. I agree it would have been awesome if Jim directed TMM, but it's also awesome the way James Frawley did it.

mummytomb

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
I think it was a matter of delegating responsibility. Jim has always had his hands in everything, but between Sesame Street, The Muppet Show and various specials and TV appearances, him helming an entire movie would have been impossible for him. Jim Frawley was (and is) an established and respected director in the industry, and well versed in comedy and improv, so I imagine Jim saw him as the best man for the job. It should also be noted that Jim never directed any Muppet Show episodes either, so it shouldn't be too surprising that he didn't direct The Muppet Movie, I think.
HE had his hand in everything alright! :smile: :sympathy: :big_grin:
That's why the Muppets walk funny!

Beauregard

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
HA! Naughty puppet humor! I love it!
Speaking of naughty puppet humor, I haven't seen you for ages LCG.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Ditto, Beau. I just felt like I was losing my audience around Muppet Central as far as the cartoons were going, so I kinda disappeared for awhile. But I'm still here, and I'm really glad you are too, Beau. You and Dave are my best buds on these boards!