Why do we only get 3 episodes on a TMS DVD?

beaker

Reaction score
So I was thinking...I was in Suncoast the other day, and noticed they had the Storyteller dvd. I was shocked to see the length time on the back, and that it contained *every* single episode. What???

Well, then color me naive, but why in the heck do the Muppet Show episodes only have 2-3 22 minute episodes, when they could fit wayyyy more(just look how many they cram into 3 disc 'complete season' tv show box sets)

Methinks the fans are getting bamboozled...seems to me they'd make more money to stuff a dvd with as many episodes as possible, as for $25 I sure as heck aint gonna spend money to get Muppet Show dvds at 2-3 episodes a pop when I got my vhs archives.

It's a practice I see with my anime dvds and other shows, animated tv series on dvd, etc.

jediX

Reaction score
Plus us US people get the royal screwjob on extras. Just look at all the bonus material on the forthcoming UK versions. For 3 episodes we deserve a bonus thing like they do. I'm dissatisfied w/ T/L's compilations.

At least with Twilight Zone dvd's you get 4 episodes per disc, and they cost half as much as a single T/L TMS dvd. 8 for 3.

Luke

Reaction score
It's as much Henson's fault as the DVD company. The problem is rights. Henson are known for charging a lot for it's stuff, more than some small production company. Add that to Henson's niche audience (not as many people buying the stuff as say Simpsons or a hit movie) and the DVD company has to spread what it has over a number of products to make back the money they paid out and make some profit. An extra being bought for the DVD would cost them even more. I think with the UK stuff, Columbia already owned the rights from distributing the same things on VHS a while back so it is a totally different case. TV Shows on DVD is massive in the UK anyway, with what they do have to buy as extras they probably make back much easier than in the states. It's only just taking off there, if it helps we pay $19 a pop for action figures.

I know all this stinks, I can just see where they are coming from !

Drtooth

Reaction score
Luke Summed it up exactly. Rights. And it's not just Henson... there are hundreds of DVD's that deserve more extras, that deserve to be box sets. Not just 2 or 3 episodes on one disk...

Take the Dr. Suess Depate Freling specials. Now, we have basically 7 cartoons on them, no more than a half an hour each.
we could put these on to at least a 2 DVD set... but no... four DVD's for 15 + bucks each, and One DVD just has 26 min of footage on it.

You could take quite a bit of stuff and put it on to a DVD, but then the companies need to negotiate and all this business type hooha.... blah blah blah... same old stuff...