Why does everyone hate Doug???

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I've heard some people and critics hate Doug, which one of them includes nostaligia critic.
my reaction is why, why does everyone hate Doug, I mean I can understand the Disney version, but I've heard some people hate the Nick version, what's up with that, erm yeah, am I one of the few people who liked Doug and still do, write your comments down below, what do you think

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Most people I know like Doug

I mean, I can understand why people wouldn't, given what shows it was up against like the Rugrats and Ren and Stimpy

But who listens to critics anyway?

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is the first I'm hearing of hate for not the Disney Doug (and even then, it wasn't that bad..a little heavy handed sometimes, but never bad). Ren and Stimpy was the biggest hit of the three when they came out, with Rugrats slowly gaining steam and becoming a network's pet. Doug never took off in the same way the other shows did, but it has lots of fans.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the Disney Doug episode where Judy says something to the extent of if they didn't move from Bloatsburg he'd "still hang around with Buster and Arthur," and Doug-ified versions of said characters pop up? What episode was that? That was like the only outside reference to Arthur I've ever seen.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've only seen the Nick Doug and the Disney Doug once or twice, and thought they were okay. Certainly didn't HATE them (rather harsh word). So maybe we can put this thread in a new paradigm: "Why does everyone hate Doug EXCEPT Fuzzygobo and maybe a few thousand more?" :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And for the record, just because you mentioned him as an example in your original post: Nostalgia Critic hates everything, that's just part of his character, there's a lot of shows and movies that are genuinely good that he finds fault with, it's just the way he is.

But again, he's just a character, which is why I think is part of the reason Doug Walker himself has been doing more and more reviews just as himself, including one review where he talks about stuff that he GENUINELY (as in for realsies) hates, so yeah. Like ANASTASIA, for example: I'd have to go back and look, but I think he bashed that movie as Nostalgia Critic, but as himself I think he listed it as one of his favorite movies.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I grew up watching Disney's Doug first, so I don't have the blistering hatred for that version as many others do. I can see the reasoning behind the hate with all its sudden changes and his heavier-handed morals, but it did have some pretty good episodes, namely the Quailman ones.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I actually LIKED the old school Doug, and Disney's Doug wasn't TOO bad. I think they just strayed too far from the original Doug that a lot of fans who liked the original one were just turned off by it. BUT, I haven't seen it in a while so I can't judge Disney Doug vs Nick Doug.

Daniel