Why don't most people like "Muppet Treasure Island"?

muppet_fan_1

Reaction score
Persoanlly I loved the movie! mainly because it was the first Muppet Movie or Muppet anything I ever saw. IT was what got me attracted to the Muppets in the first place. I'm not dissing on anyone for NOT liking it...I just want to know why.:frown:

Lu775

Reaction score
Everyone I know likes it.
Who are these wierdos who are telling you they don't?
:smile:
ah well, each to his (or her) own

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like it? I loved it!! It was one of the few post "Rocky Horror" things that Tim Curry did that was entertaining.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hiya Megan,

I'm in Utah too--so are "Dr. Bombay" and SuperGrover/Travis....there are more of us around than I thought, eh?

Anyway, I personally loved "Muppet Treasure Island," but I also know a lot of people who didn't. Their main problems with it seem to be that the Muppets are playing other characters, and not themselves---i.e., Fozzie Bear isn't as dumb as the Squire Trelawney character he's playing, and so there isn't much "new" development between the characters. It also came out while Disney was still trying to own the Muppets, which freaked a lot of the old-timers around here out. Including me. Sometimes. But I still liked the flick.

I think it was an excellent movie, with some good music and hilarious moments, and I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I did "Muppets From Space."

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

muppet_fan_1

Reaction score
Hey thanx a lot for all your responses. That was just one of those questions that needed to be answered. I thought it was one of mankinds greatest mysteries but "Gonzo" helped clear it up. That makes a lot of sense. Thanx again!

Jessie

Reaction score
The only reason it erked me was of the annoying kid in the movie. But I loved the rest of it. (We've got cabin fever!)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
About Muppet Treasure Island

I guess I would be seen as ome of those people with a dissenting opinion on Muppet Treaure Island. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it and I believe it so be the best film of what I refer to as "the second trilogy", (The Muppet Movie, The GreatMuppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan being the first trilogy). It's hard to beat the Jim Henson films, but it did beat one of them in my view.

I suspect that many of the people who have panned Muppet Treasure Island probably grew up on the first trilogy and find the post-Jim films to be somewhat inferior. I would have to agree with that. It isn't that the second trilogy films aren't good, it's just that Jim was the center of the Muppets and so many things changed after his death.

I'd rate the Muppet films in almost chronological order. This is just my opinion:
1 The Muppet Movie (the original, the classic and cameos galore)
2 The Great Muppet Caper (the best produced Muppet film ever, great musical numbers)
3 Muppet Treasure Island (a noble attempt at retelling a classic)
4 The Muppets Take Manhattan (not as entertaining as the first two in the original trilogy)
5 The Muppet Christmas Carol (a bleak, dark, but interesting return to films after nearly a decade's absence)
6 Muppets From Space (a terrible mess, but interesting attempt to show the private side of the Muppets and the film debut of Pepe, okay)

I do find it weak that they remade two classic tales rather than just making them Muppet movies, but many people disagree with me. Many people also find Muppets From Space and The Muppet Christmas Carol to be their faves. Eeek! I don't get it, but 'to each their own' I guess. Got to respect the opinions of others. :smile:

So to sum it up, Muppet Treasure Island is my third fave, but I also find it to be quite inferior to the first two Muppet films. You've seen them, right?:big_grin:

Jessie

Reaction score
-Jamie!-

AHH! MCC is my favourite Muppet Movie! I found it so witty and touching. Don't you tear up when Kermit returns home after Robin (I mean Tiny Tim) dies?
But I agree, MFS was a mess. Hulk Hogan, okay.
*Work hard and be constructive! It is the American way! (Hey, Sam, pssst) Oh. Ahem. It is the BRITISH way.*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
MCC just didn't seem Muppety to me. It was interesting and different (and I guess the Muppets are known for being interesting and different) but I can't see it as one of my faves. It didn't seem right.

I remember seeing the original Muppet Movie when I was very little (showing my age). :smile: I guess a fan's preferences for these movies can sometimes coincide with which one was the first they saw. I could be wrong, though. I am betting that MCC was the fist Muppet film you saw or viewed in the theater. There are many in the MCC camp and any Muppet film is a good Muppet film! Well, MFS did make me lose faith in humanity for a week, but it plays much better on video. LOL! That's another story.

Jessie

Reaction score
-Jamie-

You're right! MCC was the 1st muppet movie I saw. I guess you're right--we tend to stick with the "classics" according to which ones are classics for us. I didn't see the originals like MTM until much later, and I guess they were sort of ahead of my time in terms of the guest appearances. My parents like those best though.
*You're a little absent minded, Spirit.*--*No, I'm a large absent-minded spirit!*