Why don't we split a full roll of fleece?

vaderdentist

Reaction score
Hey guys......... I know alot of us are searching for Antron fleece and I figured, why don't we get several of us and pitch in to get a full roll and save a bundle of money. For cut orders it's like 13 bucks per yard............a whole roll is only 8 dollars per yard, but it costs like 400 bucks for a whole roll. That's roughly 55 yards per roll. If she split it like 11 yards each, that comes to 88 bucks a piece rather than spending 30 percent more per yard. I'd be happy to buy the roll up front and split it off to you guys. Let me know via email:
vader_darth_@hotmail.com

BorkBork

Reaction score
I'd love to do this, but i don't live near the rest of you in US or Canada, i live in sweden...anyway i just ordered 5yards, but if you don't mind sending some to sweden, i'd be glad to be apart of a roll sometime later, when i'm out of antron here :smile:

/Anders

vaderdentist

Reaction score
If I get enough interest I would be happy to send it there.
Dave :smile:

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
I don't have the cash for this but just out of curiosity, how does a company justify adding $3 per yard just for somebody to go "snip"? Talk about highway robbery. Is there some real complicated procedure I don't know about?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi Gobo,

I realize you may not be aware of this, but employees of Georgia Stage -which sells antron fleece - frequent this forum and often help out some of the builders here and taking that in to consideration I think it's inappropriate to categorize their prices as "highway robbery."

In fact, I think Georgia Stage provides an extremely valuable service to the puppet building community and I do think that their prices are more than fair. If Georgia Stage wasn't offering their service most builders would have a lot of trouble ordering fleece because they can't afford a whole roll, or they would have to order through smaller outfits like like Puppetstuff which charge even more.

It's certainly true that you can buy 50 odd yards (a complete roll) and pay less than what Georgia Stage charges. When you purchase whole rolls you're basically buying the fleece wholesale and you should be entitled to a volume discount. It's the same with anything - apples, appliances, magazine subscriptions, etc. Virtually all merchants mark up the cost of goods 100% (if something costs you $50 at Sears it probably cost them $25 to buy it and only $13 or less for the manufacturer to make). It's the way the economy works I'm afraid.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Oh I meant to add that I do think the idea of sharing a roll is great if someone wants to organize it, but the only problem with doing that through a forum like this where members are scattered around the world is that by the time someone organizes everything and the extra shipping charges (and customs fees if the fleece goes out of the U.S.) you're really not saving that much money, maybe a buck or so per yard.

I know that local communities of puppet builders (sometimes through their local puppet guild) do pool money to buy in bulk and that sort of approach is probably a little easier to manage.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I'm in on the roll if it really goes anywhere. :excited:

In regards to the antron..... it's common practice to mark up an item when selling it retail. It's a business, and business means making money. They have to factor in a portion of the costs for storage of those huge rolls of fabric, overhead (a/c, electric, rent, etc.), costs for those employees wages who are going "snip, snip", and the costs for advertising...... Kathy spends a lot of time visiting these boards to let us know that this item is available to us.

Yet, they are still cheaper per yard than any other antron provider that I've found so far. Georgia Stage is an awsome company, and Kathy is a wonderful person.... the price is more than worth the customer service and quality of fabric, not to mention they ship FAAAAaaassst!

-Michele :stick_out_tongue:

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to question inflation of prices (retail values) and just how high someone can set a price for. What was getting me was exactly how it was done. I can completely understand the logic in having a flat fee for cutting a roll but increasing the price per yard seemed rather extreme. It'd be like saying that the value of the product magically increased because it had been cut. But anyway I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from them, and I didn't mean to start an argument - I sure didn't expect it when I first posted. lol. Didn't mean to cause a whirlwind about it.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
No, No, No..... I wasn't getting excited or trying to start an argument at all! (note ernie sticking his tongue out in previous post). I was trying to explain how the price per yard thing worked and why it would be inflated.

Buck isn't the kind of person to start or even participate in a conflict either. But, take this as kindly as possible...... he is right about the highway robbery comment. It was a bit harsh, though I realize that it's a term used loosely and you probably didn't mean any harm by it. :wink:

I think what we are saying is that Georgia Stage contributes a lot to the puppetry community, they are not just selling fabric by the yard, but Kathy also provides an invaluable service by making helpful suggestions to builders and she keeps a resourse of contacts in the event that someone needs puppet building items that her company doesn't offer. Thats going way beyond the cut by the yard service you get at the big chain stores.

I would hate for someone new to the forum get the wrong first impression of a company with impecable service. I think thats why Buck and I both felt it was necessary to sort of "stick up" for them. We had no intentions of pointing fingers at you or confronting you in a negetive way. :halo:

-Michele

By-the-way.... my spelling really sucks incase anyone hasn't noticed. Must have been all those paper folding puppets I was making in school rather than studying and paying attention. :smirk:

gastage

Reaction score
Again Many Thanks

Dear Buck and Michele,

I really have to thank you both for the wonderful compliments on our business and service as well as your kind words about me. I have really enjoyed meeting my puppet customers and learning about the art. I now have "friends" all over the world and it was simply because of a special fabric. Thanks once more for your staunch support.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Best Regards
Kathy
GA Stage, Inc.