Why I Am the Way I Am This Time of Year

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's something that I can actually use to help put into perspective that I don't just complain about the heat and the summer season for no reason - this is for realsies:

http://www.weather.com/health/news/you-have-summer-blues-and-dont-know-it-20140619

I definitely have:
#1. Yes, I hate the heat. You guys knew that already.
#3. Sure, I don't mind a beautiful sunny day like anybody else, but sunny days in summer are no fun at all, and maybe now you'll understand why I actually don't mind cloudy/rainy days at all.
#4. Yes, the heat makes me crazy. Nuff said.
#8. Well, maybe I don't necessarily "veg out," but yeah.
#12. I don't do parties much in general, but I mean, when it's summer, I actually need a darn good reason to actually leave the house voluntarily.

I sort of have:
#5. Let's face it, I can never lose weight . . . but the summer heat definitely tweaks my appetite to the point where I'll normally eat cereal, salads, sandwiches, and usually avoid hot meals altogether.
#11. Not much I can say about this one.

I disagree with:
#2. I'm a night owl anyway, so early morning sunlight exposure is actually less helpful as far as I'm concerned. Matter of fact, my sleep patterns have been out of whack lately because of how early the sun's been rising.

So there.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Do you take Vitamin D? That boosts seritonin which makes you feel happier and could take the edge off depression.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't actually say that I go through depression every summer, but summer does tend to make me moody: as I've said in another thread, the entire season makes me feel like I'm stuck in a limbo of sorts: the weather is brutal and makes it almost impossible to step outside voluntarily so you're cooped up inside more, and because energy rates increase in the summer you turn off the lights to conserve energy (and heat) that's being consumed by the air conditioner.

But, as the above article points out, I don't get all moody this time of year for no reason, and as you can see, I'm actually not the only one who has the summertime blues.

As for Vitamin D, while I don't take it for depression, I do have to take it for lack of exposure to sunlight, but as I've mentioned before, having rosacea, I'm actually supposed to avoid prolonged sun exposure - not only does it trigger flare-ups, but I also burn really easily . . . another reason why I actually don't mind cloudy days.