1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Why is Bert not on Sesame Street much anymore?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by TejaMalhi, Mar 30, 2004.

1. TejaMalhi

TejaMalhi New Member

Haven't seen him around in a while? What happened?
  2. Don_Music_2004

Don_Music_2004 New Member

Bert is still around, they just hardly ever show him anymore cause kids like Ernie a lot better, and kids can identify with Ernie better.
  3. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

They recently showed a fairly current Ernie and Bert skit on Sesame Street, but I didn't think it was very good. Maybe Sesame Street is dead.
  4. Yes, Bert is still around. In fact, in Season 34, he was the prime focus of the episode I call, "Moody Moose Buttons"(see my list) in which Ernie plans a surprise birthday party for Bert, but Bert prefers to be alone so he can read his new book.
  5. jediX

jediX Active Member

Nor is he evil ;)
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Bert does appear, but they use him less and less... 'round season 32 or so, Eric took over Berts role, so he made a come back (he was only in taped inserts and classic skits before). Ernie is used much more than Bert, however... kids like him better. Frankly... It's likem splitting Pinky from the Brain because more people like Pinky. He's a funny character alone... but he works MUCH better with someone.
  7. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

My mom swears she heard something on the radio about a cross-dressing Muppet on SS. Anyone know anything about this? :confused: I think she must've missed something there... besides, Kermit has been known to cross dress!
  8. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

There were different comical segments on Sesame Street where Cookie Monster, Oscar, and Bert dressed like females. It was played for laughs during a simpler time.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They still do cross dress...

Last season, Oscar played a female witch in the story of El Elephante.

And this season (in one of the few funny moments) Baby Bear and Telly were dressed as old women in a fantasy, talking with British accents (think Queen of England style) and drinking tea.
  10. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Somebody here mentioned that most JTE segments are usually followed by Ernie and Bert skits, but I haven't seen one of those in ages (not even old, classic skits). Now it's usually just Ernie talking or singing with somebody else (like a kid or a muppet or in today's episode that actor whose name I can't remember). Anyway, I agree, it's wrong to split up Ernie and Bert. Another thing, I've noticed is that I haven't seen Susan on the show that much lately. I've seen Maria and Luis together, but I don't see Gordon with Susan very often. Hopefully, they didn't get a divorce or anything like that. :concern:
  11. zanimum

zanimum New Member

There was also an article in The Onion satirical website/newspaper, back when that site was at its peak; that article might have been mentioned. It included a "gay Muppet", namely a Photoshopped Zoe.
  12. zanimum

zanimum New Member

On the topic of Bert, he is also in the season 35 publicity shot, between Gabby and Miles, under Henry, and relatively near Ernie. I'll try to upload a pic of that section.
  13. zanimum

zanimum New Member

Try these links, one of them should work:
    http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/beaubeaver/album?.dir=/65ca
    http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/beaubeaver/detail?.dir=/65ca&.dnm=e677.jpg

I should note that:
    Photo: ©2004 Sesame Workshop/Photograph by Richard Termine. Sesame Workshop and its logo are trademarks of Sesame Workshop. All rights reserved.
  14. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

I remember hearing from a source,about some kind of fall out Frank Oz had,which was the reason he did not participate in A Very Merry Muppet Christmas.Do you suppose that could be partly why we don't see too much of Bert these days? :p :(
  15. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i don't know why he looks silly between them.
  16. I can't see where it would be true-it's probably barbecue sauce. Bert's been appearing in various clips after Journey to Ernie this season.
  17. Don_Music_2004

Don_Music_2004 New Member

Bert isn't around as much as he used to be. They tend to focus on Ernie more. They never do a street story that revolves around Bert. But keep in mind Bert was always known as a boring charachter, and I think now that the show is for younger kids, Bert just isn't appealing to that age group.
  18. TravellingMatt

TravellingMatt New Member

It's a shame...I recently burned the "Bert & Ernie's Greatest Hits" CD from my local library...and there were times Bert could be truly funny.

Case in point:

"Pat Pat Patty Pat"--his ending remark
    "The National Association Of W Lovers"
    "Lonesome Joan"--the concept of Bert doing country is too funny.

I'm sure there are tons of others.
  19. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Youre're right...Bert and/or Ernie are not dead, they're not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they don't have cancer. Those are all urban legends.

The rumours about B&E have been circulating ever since Jim Henson died. As far as I can tell, most of it stems from media speculation after Jim's death and an oft-quoted remark Frank Oz made at the time about how he "couldn't imagine doing Bert and Ernie without Jim."
  20. FragglettesMom

FragglettesMom New Member

Regarding Bert....

I think some of the funniest moments ever on SS are Bert and Ernie skits. As a matter of fact, Bert has always gotten top billing at our house. You should get the video tape " The Best Of Ernie and Bert". I think it is still available, we had to special order a copy from a video store a few years ago because our original copy wore out from repeated viewing. The skit of Bert and Ernie camping out is great!