1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Why is Sesame Street slowly dying?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by timrikthegorf, Jan 16, 2005.

1. I know there are threads like this, but we need another.

The number of productions has been cut drastically for a few years now, they have no new music anymore, the human cast is almost non-existant, a lot of things are re-used, the educational value has declined greatly, and they've actually gone backwards in some case (went from counting to 40 back to 20). Why is Sesame Workshop letting Sesame Street die like this? It can't just be Elmo's fault. Is it a lack of money? A lack of wanting to do anything good? Are there simply no creative people out there?

I know I'm just being nostalgic when I say this, but Sesame Street use to be a show that everyone could watch. Now it seems the show talks downto it's audience. Why is it allowed to die like this? A season of new shows only lasts about a month before endless replays start. Each show canbe re-run about 12 times! It's madness. Eventually there will be one new show a year and it will be an hour long Elmo's world. Why are they letting it fizzle out? This show needs to get back to teaching more things in greater depth and NOT do it via Elmo's world.

Parent's on these boards, I implore you! Write letters. Get your friends to write letters. Demandthat the show be revamped. Demand more shows per season. Frankly I don't see how any parent can sit with their child on a daily basis and watch Sesame Street without being bored out of their skull.
  2. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

Your Right.
  3. Yeah, Sesame Street is not as good as it used to be. I can't easily be into it anymore because of the small quantity of episodes and the decline in classic clips.
  4. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

You're also looking at a show that's run for over thirty years, despite talent, money and staying power, television shows have a life span and will eventually die, if for no other reason then an old life. New people come in and say; "We need something different." It's sad, but it's been an amazing run.
  5. maxdrive

maxdrive New Member

i dont like to look at seseme street dieing they coudl not re cast but hire new people as part of the cast if sesame street goes we lose one of the main fighters for real educational tv and not jsut mindless trash i wont name names

*coughs teletubbies boobah*

but that will all that be left and kids will not learn like they used to
  6. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Sesame Street is not as good because RESEARCH has shown that they needed to re-think their ways of reaching out to TODAY's children.

The attention spans and minds of kids in the year 2005 is different from those in 1969.

SESAME had to adapt with the times.

If I had to guess, you're upset that SESAME doesn't resemble the SESAME that you remember as a child. But then again, my daughter loves SESAME as much as I did, even though SESAME is not like what it was in the old days.
  7. The show doesneed more humans. It seemsthe human cast is decreasing a lot. It's just Miles, Gabby, and Alan mostly with Gordon thrown in. I remember when the human cast played a much larger part. It's just slowly losing it's education value and slowly dieing. They need some hard hitting issues again like dealing weith death and marriage and stuff. It's the one show that should be allowed to repeat story lines.
  8. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I wouldn't say the human cast is completely gone. After all, we always see Gordon in the Trash Gordon segment. Maria, Luis and Bob still show up pretty often as well.

I see what you're saying though. They need to bring back the old format maybe with sketches like Masterpiece Theater, Grover the Waiter, Kermit's News Flashes (if they get permission from Henson productions.) Maybe they could even get rid of Elmo's World and make that a spin-off, so it would be on seperately from the actual Sesame Street and wouldn't get in the way. Just a thought.
  9. Docnzhoss

Docnzhoss Active Member

That's actually a good idea. It would give SS the opportunity to put in some new and creative material. And think of the brand new marketing bonanza a new Elmo's World show would create. It could introduce new characters and give Elmo a chance to branch out and give those Teletubbies a run for their money. That way, people who love Sesame Street would find it easier to watch and people who love Elmo would have something to be very excited about.
  10. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Well, formats change based on research and what the educational goals are, but what really concerns me is the small number of episodes and the small use of the human cast (two or three per episode max, for the most part). This seems like mostly a funding issue, and I wonder if there is any way to improve it dramatically. Maybe a rich benefactor could call in to a pledge drive or something... Sesame Street needs to be given the funding it deserves!
  11. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Sesame Street isn't just dying; it's being murdered.
  12. christyb

christyb New Member

Explain. Why do you say it's being murdered??
  13. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think he means that it's being murdered because the changes they made based on the popularity of other educational programs for the kids.

Keep in mind, ya'll, that the demographic for this show isn't the same as, say, The Muppet Show. The Muppet Show has hidden inuendoes and is aimed at adult and family audiences. Sesame Street originally was intended for kids to teach them, but had some grown-up entertainment to keep the parents involved with the kids.

Not that all parents are like this, but nowadays the involvement parents have with kids aren't nearly as close as it used to be: both parents HAVE to work to make it, kids are left with older siblings or cousins to babysit them, or put into obviously non-qualified day cares or preschools who don't teach the kids.

Now, SS has (in my opinion) dumbed the show down to be more on a level with other popular programs and so their format has changed. Elmo appeals to the 2 and 3 year old kids, so Elmo's world is a necessity. They have now got, instead of the commercial feel they used to have a few years ago, segments of the show which are dedicated to particular topics.

What WE'RE used to is the quick skits, the humor we were raised with, stuff that the whole family can sit and watch. In today's time, kids are left alone to watch tv and make of it what they can while parents are working, cleaning house and doing chores, or whatever they MUST do.

I don't think the decrease in episodes or an increase in cast will make a difference, what will make a difference is society, and when we begin to behave with our kids (I don't have kids, btw) the way we used to (when my mom would sit and watch TV with me, or my nanny) and/or society ALLOWS us to, then we might see a change in the way the show is produced.
  14. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

Fozzie Bear is right, things have changed alot since we were kids and we can't expect Sesame to meet only the needs of the adult fans. We need to remember that the show is geared toward children to help them learn and understand with quality TV that isn't too dumbed down. Sure I would like to see some of the old sketches and I think some of those thrown in here and there would be great, but not the entire episode.

I think they need to take out Journey to Ernie, keep Elmo's World (even though it can be annoying), and bring in a few more famous people, and not have the episodes in some sort of set order. But then again, repetivness is good for many children. A bigger budget for Sesame would be nice too.
  15. christyb

christyb New Member

That's true. Although Sesame Street is ok. I really haven't watched any episodes since my youngest sibling was little. (She's 10 now so it's been a while). Everynow and then I'll catch a few minutes but it really doesn't hold my intrest. But repeating things does get old. SS needs to spice it up a little. I don't know how. But they just do.
  16. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i don't see what parents watching with there kids have anything to do with it. i always watched SS and other shows by mtself. and even around the time SS began both parents working was becomming more common.
  17. bigbirdfan

bigbirdfan New Member

Your Right! :o
  18. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

A huge misconception is that the needs of nostalgic adults and the needs of children today are somehow in opposition. There's nothing in the old skits that would hurt children today. The only reason adults are nostalgic about them is because they made them happy as children, as they would do for the children of today. Let's face it; very few people have the same enthusiasm for Sesame Street today as they did back in its prime. Even the producers at Sesame Workshop are just measuring out a handful of episodes now to keep it running on fumes.
  19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

Months later and GeeBee is still singing the same old song and dance. Gee, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Yes, GeeBee. You've only told us this how many thousand times in the past? I've said it before and I'll say it again -- this is YOUR opinion. The fact that you believe it so strongly doesn't make it true, much as you might like it to.

Again, this is strictly your opinion, not fact. I'll bet the people who see the sheer amount of work, research and testing that SW invests into making each and every episode educational and entertaining at the same time, would beg to differ. So would the parents of young kids who the show is aimed at.

I like classic SS just as much as you, but I've accepted reality and don't devote so much energy into hating current SS that you seem to. I feel my energy is better channeled into other things.
  20. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

Henson no longer owns Kermit, Disney does. It's unlikely we'll ever see Kermit on SS again, unfortunately. :cry: