1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Why is Steve Whitmire the voice of Kermit?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by TidusEstar, May 24, 2005.

1. TidusEstar

TidusEstar New Member

He sounds great now, almost like Jim Henson but why was he chosen orginally for the voice of Kermit? Was he his understudy?
  2. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

While I am not really sure, you might want to surf on over to the "Interviews" section in "Articles" and check out the Steve Whitmire interview there.
  3. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Interesting to note:

Jim Henson died in 1990, and the first appearance of Steve Whitmire's Kermit was Muppet Christmas Carol in 1992 and the first appearance of Steve Whitmire's Ernie was Sesame Street New Year's Eve in 1993.

Must have been a tough 2 years to get a replacement.
  4. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

The first time Steve did kermit was in 1990 in "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson"
  5. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Really? Someone always told me it was Brian Henson.
  6. Rattus P Rattus

Rattus P Rattus New Member

probably because he was the youngest Muppeteer and he wouldn't die of old age while he was playing Kermit.
  7. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

That's what a lot of people think but it was most certainly Steve.

Steve was actually going to become an alternate for Kermit I believe. I believe JIm and Steve had a conversation about it. While Jim didn't plan on giving up Kermit anytime soon, he was planning on taking on a lot of stuff. Had the time come when Jim couldn't perform Kermit at one time or another, Steve mostly likely would have become his alternate. It just so happened that Steve was forced into the role prematurly and none of us were eased into it. I think the reason we didn't see Steve as Kermit until 93 was because we just didn't have any productions until then. The compnay just lost it's owner and creative mind. Plus they had to recover from a failed Disney deal.

I think Steve was spot on with Kermit in MCC. The character and even voice and puppet work were all great. Since then I feel as if Steve has gotten a bit laxed with Kermit's facial expressions.
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

What was Steve's first line as Kermit? Is it the "I knew you guys could do a tribute for Jim" after "Just one Person...?"
  9. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

In an interview I read with Steve, he said that Jim mentioned to him that he'd always regretted that Steve hadn't been given a more prominent regular character on the show (meaning that Jim didn't feel that Rizzo was of the same caliber as Fozzie or Scooter), and wanted to meet with Steve to discuss fixing the situation. The meeting never occured due to Jim's passing, but soon after that, Steve was given Kermit to perform. Steve said (and I'm paraphrasing) he'd never dreamed that this was the regular character Jim had in mind for him.

I know that in the beginning, many people naturally assumed that Brian Henson had taken over Kermit after Jim's passing. Around that same time, veteran voice actor Mel Blanc died, and he had announced two years earlier during the production of Who Framed Roger Rabbit that his son Noel would take over the voicing duties of Bugs Bunny after Mel passed on. This led to the assumption that every son of a famous voice actor or puppeteer would take the reins from his deceased father. Ironically, Noel Blanc didn't end up voicing Bugs Bunny ever, and a succession of voice actors have done the jobs ever since.

I believe Brian felt he couldn't perform Kermit because of the powerful bond the character had to his father, so giving Kermit to Steve was not only the best choice, but probably a necessity.
  10. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

yeah. "What a great song. I knew you guys could do the tribute for Jim."
  11. Beauregard

I thought so.

And it really is a touching line....
  12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Just One Person has ALWAYS made me tear up!! Always, and not just because of that tribute show.
  13. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

It was really touching to see Kermit show up at the end. The way they were talking about Kermit in the special it was if we would not see him or hear him again. When he showed up at the end it was like Kermit saying everything will be ok.

I'm not sure why it too longer to get Steve as Ernie on Sesame Street. Perhaps because Steve was not on Sesame Street before that. There also wasn't much of a need right away because they have a huge archive of Bert and Ernie sketches.
  14. Beauregard

Do you have it? i can send you an Mp3 if you don't, Kev.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

do you mind sending one to me ol buddy ol pal apbuitron@yahoo.com
  16. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I'm thinking maybe Kermit wasn't the main host for Muppet's Tonight, was because Kermit was still trying to get his personality back during that time. So he made small appearances on each show.

Also, some people on here were saying that Steve spazzes out too much with Kermit. But I remember Jim doing a great job making Kermit angry and spazzing out many times. And I was at first worried if Steve wouldn't be able to make those famous Kermit spazz attacks like Jim's done. But it looks like he can. :)
  17. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

But Kermit spazz's out a litle too often now. He gets flustered really easily. He was always the calm one until ti got really nuts. Now he reminds me of Nigel from MT.
  18. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I don't think that's true. I believe Noel did voice Bugs once or twice on "Tiny Tunes" or something like that. Sorry for getting off topic, but I just thought I'd point that out.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

(Sorry about repeating posts again. I haven't really read through all the messages here yet, so I'd just like to put in my two cents)

Yeah, Steve was great at having Kermit spazz, specifically in "Muppet Treasure Island:" "WHO HIRED THIS CREW??!!!"

And of course there was the time Kermit really lost it in the Christmas movie.
  20. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Noel Blanc did Bugs Bunny once in a Tiny Tunes X-mas special for some reason. On the regular Tiny Tunes show Bugs and all of the characters were played by Jeff something. I forgot the whole name. He then quit or was fired for some weird reason. Since then the character got split up a bit with a few different people switching. I'm not really sure why WB didn't honor Mel Blanc's choice for a replacement. I guess after all those years it just didn't matter to them. He was just a voice artist to them.

I kind of wish Jim Henson had lined up soe replacements for himself but since his death was so sudden he really had no time or reason to. He probably would still be doing Kermit and only now thinking of who could take over for him.