Why We Love Rowlf

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Come on, what's there to hate about Ol' Brown Ears himself?

Besides Kermit, Rowlf is probably the most sane of the Muppet family. He's been around as long as Kermit has and he's probably seen everything, so he knows what to expect out of the rest of his friends, and like Kermit, he accepts them for who they are. Very rarely does a snide remark escape from Rowlf's mouth.

Rowlf also has the same level of patience for others that Kermit has, possibly even more so. He's dealt with Miss Piggy's temper tantrums, Fozzie's awful jokes, and just about anything else with the same level of class and professionalism. This is why I wrote him in a backstage segment with Don Music, because I see those two characters working quite well together. Don, as a songwriter looking for his big break, always seems to get frustrated while writing, and I feel that Rowlf would always be there to lend a helping paw or some words of encouragement, as he is a musician himself.

Speaking of performing, it is Rowlf's showmanship that also endears him to so many. As both a comedian and a musician, he reminds me so much of the greats that came before and after him, particularly Victor Borge and Tom Lehrer. Much like Rowlf, they were/are (Mr. Lehrer, to my knowledge, is still with us) piano players with quick wits that were able to apply both skills. One can't help but laugh whenever Rowlf makes a crack on Veterinarian's Hospital or sings a song like "You and I and George" or "I Never Harmed An Onion". Even when he's serious he can move a crowd, such as when he sang "What A Wonderful World" to a real puppy. He's even pulled a few surprises...only two words come to mind when I think of this quality about Rowlf..."NINE LIGHTS!" (I remember how shocked I was the first time I saw that bit on the Street, because it was the first time I saw a TMS character outside of Kermit on Sesame Street.) Even jazz fans (who are hard to please) love Rowlf, as they've given him the title of TDWR (talent deserving wider recognition) on piano.

So hats off to Rowlf, one of the classiest Muppets around. This is one dog I'd feed from the table ANYTIME. Heck, I'd let him sit at the table!

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
I love when Rowlf tilts his head like in an "I don't know" way. i also love the old Jimmy Dean episode when he was gonna save Lassie (i saw it on the World Of Jim Henson)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
My Rowlfy thoughts

I too love Rowlf, Matt. As a matter of Muppety fact (hmmm..."AAMOMF"?...lol), the VERY DAY I thought about creatin' a thread like this (I had just realized how much I rully dig Rowlf but never thought about it up front), the "Ode to Rowlf" contest started.

My entry didn't make the Top 8, but I feel it best sums up my feelin's for our favorite piano-playin' dog (well, not that there are a lot o' piano-playin' dogs, but ya know what I mean):

My Ode to Rowlf

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was afraid of that", I thought to myself. "They're already
through with rehearsals."

I gave a long sigh, but walked on through the Muppet theatre anyway.

There was his piano.

Wading through the orchestra pit, I climbed onto the stage and took a seat at the ol' upright.

One last gaze...that's what I gave the envelope I was carrying as I let it drop to the floor. I sat at the bench and let my fingers run along the keys, feeling the ivory that "Ol' Brown Ears" himself played every week. As I played, I remembered those words I had written in that letter...

"Dear Rowlf,

It's time I told you how I feel. For years I saw you, heard you, grew up with you. Even though others have held the spotlight for me, I always appreciated you...I just never told you how much.

Rowlf, you are incredibly talented, warm, dependable, and have a wicked sense of humor. You are a true entertainer in every sense of the word, and if my musicality can end up being half as good as yours, I'll be satisfied.

I love your gravelly voice, the way you throw yourself into your music, the cute way your big ol' ears flop all around your 'coconutty' head when you're in the throes of a piece...you're just such a loveable dog.

And I do love you. I just needed to tell you that.

Love ya buddy,..."

Ah, yes...I had signed it and hoped to hand it to him today while I was in town, but it looks like it just wasn't meant to be.

Suddenly I felt a heavy hand on my shoulder.

"Hey," said a gravelly voice. I turned. He was holding the letter.
"I love you too, pal."

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I have to agree. Rowlf does seem to have a lot of patience. In fact I've never seen him lose his temper or anything. I can't really say that about Kermit. I also like all his jokes, especially those in Vet's Hospital and I really liked his role as the pet caretaker in TMTM. It's too bad he hasn't been seen very often since Henson's death. By the way, did they ever release those Jimmy Dean show episodes on tape? I'd really like to see some of them.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i've always liked rowlf more than any other character, even beating kermit by a long shot. rowlf is easy to get along with.

has anybody ever though tabout if rowlf was jims main character instead of kermit. the only reason why jim used kermit as his main is cause kermit is easy to handle. but what if rowlf was the host of the muppet show? would steve perform rowlf after jims death? would kermit go into the background liek what rowlf did for a number of years?.......i suppose this could happen in an alternate universe!

ryan

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I LOOOOVE ROWLF. I even wrote a fanfic a/b me being on the Muppet show, and I, of course, did a song w/Rowlf. We sang "Piano Man" together.....(At the end, he asks Kermit a/b me, "Can we keep her?")
I, however, couldn't see Rowlf as the host of TMS. B/c most hosts, almost as a rule, need to get really stressed and lose his temper every so often, and I just could not see Rowlf losing his temper at ANYONE.
Rowlf holds a VERY special place in my heart. I get all warm & fuzzy every time I see those brown, floppy ears....:big_grin: I love his music, his jokes, his voice, (MAN but I love that voice), and especially, I love the way Rowlf is nice to everyone. And not just fake nice, either! He genuinely cares a/b all his fellow Muppets! On MCR one day, I heard this segment where Rowlf was leading the gang in "Auld Lang Syne" for Miss Piggy, b/c she was leaving, reminding everyone how sad it'll be when she goes. With all Miss Piggy's temper tantrums, scene stealing and everything, Rowlf still cares a/b her, is still sorry she's leaving, and still wants to make sure she at least knows they all love her. THAT'S what I love a/b him.
I also miss the Rowlf-Fozzie duets. (They actually did quite a few.) And there's this great picture that I love that shows Rowlf holding Robin up to his piano. I like to think Rowf & Fozzie and Rowlf & Robin have a special friendship. (But then, I get the impression that there's no way you CAN be friends w/him w/o it being a special friendship!
He is indeed a "piano.....dog." I love it when he sings the A.A. Milne songs, ("Halfway Down the Stairs" is my favorite), and those weird obscure songs like "You, Me, and George." He seems more of an entertainer than a serious musician, knowing all the old vamps, and talking through songs alot. I always figured he started out as a piano player in a bar or restaurant, which is why I love TMM so much. (Or at least one of the reasons.)
I love your "Ode to Rowlf" poem, Byron. I've always wanted to tell him I loved him, too, and get a great big hug from my Rowlf! :wink: I miss him, too, and wish he'd come back into the spotlight. I miss his understated charm, his enthusiasm, his quick wit and soft heart.
I LOOOOVE YOU, Rowlf!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

has anybody ever though tabout if rowlf was jims main character instead of kermit. the only reason why jim used kermit as his main is cause kermit is easy to handle. but what if rowlf was the host of the muppet show? would steve perform rowlf after jims death? would kermit go into the background liek what rowlf did for a number of years?.......i suppose this could happen in an alternate universe!
That would have been a good one for the "What if" list. Actually, since Jim's death Rowlf was performed by Bill Barretta. That is a good question though. I mean, if Rowlf had hosted the Muppet Show and been the star in all these movies, maybe Kermit would have been retired then. I don't know. Just food for thought.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think Rowlf is great! He's calm and patient, artistic and intelligent, and VERY wise-cracking (ie, the time he played piano for Miss Piggy's Foo Foo act on TMS).

I'm not so sure, but if there were no Kermit or Fozzie, I would want to be Rowlf.

He's also the character we fans seem to scrutinize most about, wherein discussing his voice by Baretta, his sculpt as an action figure.

Truly, Rowlf is just THE best of the Muppets, has a great history in the JHC, and has been sorely missed.

Time to bring back Rowlf into the mainstream!!

HERE DOGGIE, HERE!
*Whistles*

rexcrk

Reaction score
Now that you guys mention it, Rowlf IS pretty cool! One of my favorite lines of his is in the Muppet Movie after they pick up Piggy (after Rowlf and Kermit have their duet) and Rowlf says "Hi, I'm Rowlf the Dog, I play piano... ah forget it" or something like that. ****!

btw, did Bill Barretta do the voice of that bear in Muppets From Space? I think he could do a pretty darn good job of Rowlf. (Whenever I watch MFS I say to myself "He sounds a lot like Rowlf!")

muppet_dk

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
btw, did Bill Barretta do the voice of that bear in Muppets From Space? I think he could do a pretty darn good job of Rowlf. (Whenever I watch MFS I say to myself "He sounds a lot like Rowlf!")
Yes Bill is the voice of Bobo.
Try to go to the weezer website and take a look at the behind the scenes program from the music video keep fishing http://www.weezer.com/audiovideo/index.html#keep . In the last part of it you can hear how Bill's Rowlf sounds like.
I think the voice sounds like Bobo. But with some more speaking roles he should be able to get the voice right.