Why were the last 26 split into two seasons?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
FR ran from 82-86, so mathematically that'd be four seasons. There are also 96 episodes, which works out to 24 per season (same as TMS). But it's always listed as five. First two seasons are straightforward, 24 per, then Season Three is only 22, then the last 26- which were taped apparently with no excessively long breaks between taping dates- are seemingly for no reason split into two seasons. Why was this? Did it have something to do with the timing of the broadcasts? Anybody know?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
From what I've heard, the original deal between Jim Henson and HBO called for five seasons of the show. There were, however, only four production seasons so they split the last year in half (13 for season four, 13 for season five).

When (and if) we get to those seasons on DVD, HIT will most likely decide to just combine them into one, final collection (i.e. "The Complete Fourth and Fifth Seasons").

Hope this helps :smile:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Thanks for that bit of info.

It makes sense. And yeah, I think 4 & 5 will be on one set as well.

MWoO

Reaction score
If the contract called for 5 seasons why did they only tape the 4?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
It would seem they ran out of material, or perhaps all involved felt the show had already run its course.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
It would seem they ran out of material, or perhaps all involved felt the show had already run its course.
Interestingly, when I called and asked Henson Associates the same thing at the time, their official front-desk story was that HBO had cut out on them, and they "just couldn't afford" to continue the show on CBC funds--
A rather odd (and suspicious?) statement, considering HBO was continuing the contractual five-season broadcast, even with the prematurely short seasons... :confused:

Cancellation on declining quality, or Jim finally ditching the show himself with a backdoor excuse?--We shall never know.