Wicked

goldenarrow05

Reaction score
I just picked up a copy of the book Wicked by Gregory Maguire today. I have been wanting to read it for a while but hadnt gotten around to it, this week i was listening to the music from the musical though and got inspired to pick up a copy and read it. I havent been able to put it down yet. I hope to go and see the musical this summer.

If you are not familiar with Wicked its about the life of the Wicked Witch of the West.... what i've read so far has been pretty humorous. It has a dark comedy feel about it.

Has anyone else read the book or seen the musical?

Beebers

Reaction score
I haven't read it, and I don't care much for musicals, however - anything with the word wicked in it intrigues me so I'll look for the book, definitely. There's a great books thing going on in Friends/Family, we're just starting on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and anybody can participate, if you like, come on over. Also there's a loose-discussion book thread but it may have moved onto the second page of Friends/Family, you'd have to look.

:cool:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Wicked the book

:smile: Hiya.My roomate and I have been entrigued by Oz,since our childhoods,so we both bought copies of Wicked when it first came out.It's an interesting book,I must say.Seeing the life and thought process behind Elphaba,the Wicked Witch,gives one many things to think about.Through this book,we see from the author's point of view:how El's looks all began,her life before Oz,how she and Glinda(Witch of the North)lives intersected college.This book goes thru it's fast and slow periods,but I do highly recommend reading it at least once.As far as the musical,I have heard of it.I was actually amazed(but not really surprised) that the book could be transformed(once again) into a musical(like The Wiz).The musical seems like its doing a good job.Maybe I'll go see it,in time. :cool:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I've never read it but yesterday two people came into the bookstore and asked for it. It's been selling really well. I wouldn't mind reading it one of these days.
Erin

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
I've read the book and seen the musical, it's really an awesome book! And the musical rocks my world- I highly recomend it :flirt:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I've never read it but yesterday two people came into the bookstore and asked for it. It's been selling really well. I wouldn't mind reading it one of these days.
Erin
Do you work in a bookstore Erin? I work in a warehouse that ships books. :cool:

goldenarrow05

Reaction score
That is really cool that some of you have read the book. Maybe it would be a good candidate for the next book club book. I was noticing that in my copy it has group discussion questions in the back. My sister is leaving for New York today and she is going to try and get me a Playbill from the musical.

Beebers

Reaction score
Well, if we get enough votes for it when it comes time to choose the next book then it'll be the one. Sounds good to me.

:cool:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
Do you work in a bookstore Erin? I work in a warehouse that ships books. :cool:
Cool! Yeah, I work in a Waldenbooks in our mall. It's a nice place. Now I just have to make sure nobody catches me in Barnes and Noble... :stick_out_tongue:

Beebers, I just noticed your new avatar! That's great! :big_grin:
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
*in best Elvis voice whythankyouverrrymuch*

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: