Will Kermit appear at Florida's Frog Leg Festival?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
This was in a Florida paper today:

Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival plans big rebound
Jan. 18, 2006
FELLSMERE, Florida — Nasty swamp-like weather in late 2004 and early 2005 made last year's Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival one of the most challenging for Maggie Sammons and other organizers.
Now, volunteers will try to rebound with this week's festival. Besides trying to boost attendance, they're keeping their eyes peeled for one notable visitor who would be attending his first frog leg festival: Kermit the Frog.

The Muppets Holding Co. put out news releases last fall about its intent to have the broadcasting, guitar-playing amphibian at the event, but officials still have not confirmed an appearance with festival organizers, said Maggie Sammons, festival president. The famous frog is making public appearances as part of the 50th anniversary celebration for the Muppets.

NOTE: The Festival runs from this Thursday through Sunday.
If Kermit doesn't show up since the local paper is promoting the event, it will be bad press for the MHC and Disney.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
If Kermit doesn't show up since the local paper is promoting the event, it will be bad press for the MHC and Disney.
I agree it would be bad if he didn't show

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I always wonder why Disney cancelled the tour.
Disney is excellent at promoting things.
Example being when a new movie comes out, they do a great media campaign to promote it.

Maybe someone at Disney said for example; "Why are we having this Kermit world tour? To promote what project? We will end up losing money."

And of course, there is no project to promote.

Or maybe Steve and Disney couldn't come to financial terms on a salary?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Word is that Kermit's anniversary tour has been cancelled. I think OverUnderAround's reasoning pretty much sums it up.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Update

Kermit ditches Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival

A certain green Muppet's handlers have changed the itinerary for his 50th anniversary tour.

By LAMAUR STANCIL

FELLSMERE — Several thousand pairs of frog legs are here this weekend as part of the Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival. But one specific pair will be absent.

The Muppets Holding Co. confirmed late Friday that Kermit the Frog will not appear at the festival, despite news releases last fall advertising an appearance. The festival began Thursday, and event organizers said they had not heard from the company at all since November despite repeated attempts to reach them, festival president Maggie Sammons said.

The Muppets Holding Co. put out news releases last fall about the amphibian's 50th anniversary world tour. The announcements also talked of appearances in 49 other locations, including Paris, New York and the town of Kermit, Texas, as part of a 15-month anniversary tour. However, officials with the company decided to change the anniversary plans and eliminated many tour dates, including Fellsmere's, spokeswoman Debbie McClellan said. The Web site, Muppets.com, still advertises a 50-city world tour for the anniversary on its front page, though no specific dates are mentioned.

Sammons said Muppets officials in November were non-committal about the Fellsmere appearance and provided scant information about the visit.

"They didn't tell us how large of an entourage to expect or whether TV cameras would be here," she said.

The only instructions festival organizers were given was to have some frogs — live and not destined for a dinner plate — ready for the visit.

"He was coming here to kiss his cousins," Sammons said.

Though the festival did not tout a Kermit appearance in its marketing for this year's event, there were still some festival visitors anticipating a meeting with the Muppet. Notably, children have approached the festival's frog mascot and asked if it was Kermit, Sammons said.

Revenue for the event is given to various recreational and educational causes in Fellsmere.

Source: MSNBC.com

The town of Fellsmere should be commended for pushing and trying to get the MHC company to get Steve and Kermit to show up.

Just knowing that the story of Kermit not showing up and disappointing little kids made the press when the revenue of the turnout would have gone to help the community is really bad publicity for Disney and MHC. And unfortunately makes Kermit look bad too.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
This was in a Florida paper today:

Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival plans big rebound
who would be attending his first frog leg festival: Kermit the Frog.

The Muppets Holding Co. put out news releases last fall about its intent to have the broadcasting, guitar-playing amphibian at the event, but officials still have not confirmed an appearance with festival organizers, said Maggie Sammons, festival president. The famous frog is making public appearances as part of the 50th anniversary celebration for the Muppets.

sure why not completley sellout the charecters ,Pepe sells seafood, why not have kermit condone the eating of small amphipians, i guess camilla will start hawking KFC soon, and piggy will sell the other white meet

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well if you ask me i think on both sides its not good. First i think it would be kind of sick for kermit to be there to suport frog legs. Second i think its wrong of Disney to tell people he is coming then now he is not. Just anothere thing they are screwing up for the muppets and now it looks bad to outsiders not just me.