Will Muppet Babies ever be released to DVD?

Oliver

Reaction score
Now that the Henson family has regained all of it's shares in the company, are there plans to release an extended catalogue from their classic series?

Also, has there been any word on a Muppet Babies compilation dvd release of a couple episodes? What do the Henson's plan on doing with this cartoon series, is it just going to sit amongst the archives of unreleased material or will they ever revive this show through digital medium and preserve some episodes on dvd?

jediX

Reaction score
Probably not for a long time, if at all. You never know, though. They released a few cassettes of Muppet Babies in 1993 along with Fraggle Rock tapes - long after both series' ended.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
My opinion is that Muppet Babies would be one of the LEAST likely Henson projects to appear on DVD.

For one, there haven't been many animated series released on DVD from other companies with the exception of more action-oriented shows like Transformers or adult-oriented shows like The Simpsons.

Also, Muppet Babies doesn't seem to have the same cult following as Fraggle Rock or TMS. These cult followings are really necessary for strong sales of a DVD set. Think about it: most parents aren't going to casually pick up a $30+ DVD set for their kids at Walmart--especially for a show that hasn't been shown on TV in years. So, you need the avid fans and collectors (who are sure to buy it) to ensure a profitable release.

I think the best hope to see Muppet Babies again would be on cable channels like Cartoon Network or Toon Disney. It was definitely one of my favorite cartoons and I would love to see it rebroadcast somewhere.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i e mailed the JHC and they sadly said that that and some ther things i asked about would not be on DVD anytime soon. but i think that fragal rock will most defanetly be on DVD but not to sure. it would be neat they could even but one of the cartoons as part of the specal featers. i just wonder if they will ever but the box set of sesame street like the frist season i would love that, i mean they would but Saved by the Bell in a box set but not sesame street somthing is bad wrong there.
I love to see al the old clips and main storys that i didnt get to see from when the show started to 1983 i didnt get to see any of them . so any way it will be neat to see what happens. :stick_out_tongue: :frown: :grouchy:

Kamit

Reaction score
Also, Muppet Babies doesn't seem to have the same cult following as Fraggle Rock or TMS. These cult followings are really necessary for strong sales of a DVD set. Think about it: most parents aren't going to casually pick up a $30+ DVD set for their kids at Walmart--especially for a show that hasn't been shown on TV in years
I would disagree about the 'cult following' bit. I used to run a Muppet Babies website (it's still technically up, but I've been too busy with school to update it for years). I would get tonnes of e-mails asking me if I knew where to get MuB stuff (and it's surprising - besides videos the most requested item was Muppet Baby wallpaper). I also got tonnes of emails from people saying how much they loved the show and how much they wished it was back on TV.

I think a lot of parents would be willing to buy a DVD set of the Muppet Babies/ Why? Because they know it's quality stuff, having grown up with it themselves. They know they can put it on and feel confident that they're child is watching something fun yet safe, educational, and inspiring.

Oliver

Reaction score
I agree, it was a terrific imaginative show and I don't see why the Henson company wouldn't release a compilation disc of even just a few episodes. Why not make it commercially viable when they own licensing rights and will only profit from it, it doesn't make much sense to leave it neglected?

Kamit

Reaction score
I think the Muppet Babies would go over quite well today - if it was marketed properly. I think part of the problem (not just with the Muppet Babies but with all sorts of Muppet stuff) is that when the stuff does come out it really comes out under the radar. You either find the stuff by accident (usually stuffed way in the back somewhere) or you have to seriously search it out (which most casual Muppet fans don't).

A lot of the Muppet Baby stuff was designed to appeal to a wide audience. I had a fellow (who used to write for the Muppet Babies) e-mail me once and say Jim Henson was adament that the show had to appeal to people outside as well as inside the US and that they should avoid following 'pop trends' so that the show would be relevant for years to come.

And it is. My Muppet Baby tapes are my secret babysitting weapon. I've showed them to all sorts of kids, who had never seen them before, on different occasions, and within three minutes these kids were all glued to the screen (of course I'm right there with them - cause I want to watch too! :smile: ) They were left asking for more.

jediX

Reaction score
I'd love to see them as DVD's but I'm not counting on it, at least not for a while. That show always was funny to me and I still think it is, I don't see why people don't like it. MB and FR (animated) were essential parts of my childhood and I don't want to lose them.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
look its really not going to happen any time soon. In athour Thred we are talking about a muppet Babies Movie and i just dont even think that will work.

Here is why and i said this over there if you did not grow up with the muppet babies or are a die hard fan you dont know about them. it would caues to many qustions you take a survey of younger kid who the DVD would be geared toward
Now dont get mad at that it is just the Hard truth but if you took a sruvey of yonger kids today they whould say they have no ideah who they are.
What needs to happen befor they are on DVD is they need to be back on Tv ethier re runs or make some New ones or maybe even do teen muppets Where they are Teen agers going thourgh high school and the problems at high school. Now that would work. Maybe any way that just the sad truth about the muppet babies they really in the mind of kids today dont even exitsts. :eek:

sorry if i dissapoined anyone or if i sound like i dont love the MB i do but they are not on TV or anything so they really dont exitst.

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
I personally think a Muppet Babies DVD would be hip! (Sorry Fozzie! :wink: ) With the 80s revival going on and things like Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake being released onto DVD, I think the Muppet Babies would be a great idea! Thing is though, they need to release the early episodes since those were the best ones..:smile: