Will Sam & Friends come to video?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Hi there. I had an epiphany today.Just wondered,now with Muppet related shows coming to video(ever so slowly);if Sam & Friends would finally be brought to video. Has anyone heard any news on this? Thanks.:smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure who owns the show (being Kermit is in it, it might be The Muppet Holding Co.), or it may still be The Jim Henson Company. Either way, a DVD of the show (or even a DVD of Jim's earlier works encluding Sam & Friends) would surely spark interest in the fans of the Muppets. I wonder if this will ever happen and if the show will ever see the light of day again...either way I would love to see a release of these rare treasure.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say, but I believe I read that Sam and Friends is an unfortunate victim of the early Quadraplex video age...which is to say, that when TV stations bought video recorders in the fifties and early sixties, their intent was to keep using the tapes over and over again, to save money and time on film processing. Unfortunately, since they didn't think that most shows, especially some kids' puppet show that we all hold so dearly NOW, was important enough to save! A whole heck of a lot of shows from that time were simply erased after they were shown to save tape and time for the next show. Sad, isn't it?

Of course, there are probably kinescopes (films made badly by pointing a film camera at a TV monitor...what were they thinking???) of the show somewhere, I'll bet, but they won't look so great. They were mostly used for safety backups.

*sigh*

later
eric

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
I'm sorry to say, but I believe I read that Sam and Friends is an unfortunate victim of the early Quadraplex video age...which is to say, that when TV stations bought video recorders in the fifties and early sixties, their intent was to keep using the tapes over and over again, to save money and time on film processing. Unfortunately, since they didn't think that most shows, especially some kids' puppet show that we all hold so dearly NOW, was important enough to save! A whole heck of a lot of shows from that time were simply erased after they were shown to save tape and time for the next show. Sad, isn't it?

Of course, there are probably kinescopes (films made badly by pointing a film camera at a TV monitor...what were they thinking???) of the show somewhere, I'll bet, but they won't look so great. They were mostly used for safety backups.

*sigh*

later
eric
I did think about that too. We'll see. If not the show itself,maybe some Sam & Friends moments on other tv shows. Better than nothing.:smirk:

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Then again there is always the fan who tucks him or herself away in the basement and hoards these types of things.

Mr Humbug

Reaction score
I would think it is likley the Henson fmaily themselves will have at least one example of Sam and Friends in their own collection.
As a Dr Who fan I can completley sympathise with the destruction of archive material 108 episodes of that show are still missing.