1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Will Season 50 of Sesame Street premiere in 2020 instead of 2019?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by mbmfrog, Jul 18, 2017.

1. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

So due to the deal with HBO, we're getting season 47 now and 48 next year....so by the time the big 50 comes around for Sesame Street it would be 2020 ?!?

Wouldn't Sesame Workshop try to celebrated this anniversary in 2019 on the actual year the show was made ?

As Sesame Street Fans what do you think of this ?

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, Season 20 began in 1988 and Season 30 began in 1998.

They went against schedule for Season 40 by premiering on a Tuesday instead of a Monday, because Tuesday happened to be November 10, 2009; I can guess they would try to do the same for 2019. Maybe.

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

All I can think of right now is how the 50th season will premiere during the 2020 elections with whomever is running against the orange oompa loompa that throws twitter tantrums. :D

4. D'Snowth

At least SST has a safe and secure home with HBO now that, once again, the lifeblood of PBS has been threatened.

5. LittleJerry92

Seems to be quite common with these republican candidates, and this is coming from someone who sides more towards the conservative side (though I'm not afraid to admit there are some things about them I'm not proud of).

6. D'Snowth

Oh yeah, axing PBS has always been at the top of their agenda since, well, the inception of PBS . . . but Romney was, perhaps, the nastiest about it, lol.

7. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

Well, maybe Season 50 itself won't premiere on that day, but maybe if they indeed do a big anniversary special, it will premiere on that day, which is a Sunday. And also, as sad as this may sound, I would not be surprised if they didn't do anything at all on the show itself to acknowledge the anniversary.

8. LittleJerry92

Now, don't be quick to judge. We got a nice celebration during the 40th anniversary. We'll see what happens on the 50th....

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I have no doubt they're doing to something extra special for their 50th. Don't forget, it's the entire organization's 50th anniversary, not just the show.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

Season 40 was huge, Season 40 was hyped, everybody was celebrating Season 40 - other shows were having special episodes dedicated to celebrating Season 40.

And that was just Season 40 . . . and if that was big, you can only imagine the epic proportions of Season 50. And lest we forget, we've got that documentary version of STREET GANG coming out soon - complete with a recreation of the Season 1 set.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  11. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

It would be amazing if they filmed something with that. Perhaps a biopic?

12. LittleJerry92

Hopefully we'll get another dvd set with various more clips previously unreleased..... Or not. A guy can dream.

(Though I was a bit annoyed how many clips were edited with photographs at the beginning on the 40th anniversary dvd).

13. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

They hardly did anything for Season 40 at all. Except for the DVD set. I'm really hoping there's a TV special of some sort, or better yet, something similar to Sesame Street Unpaved from Season 30.

14. LittleJerry92

Um.... Hardly????

What about the numerous Easter eggs in each episode????

15. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

The only thing that would make me happy is if there was old episodes on TV. Just like when Sesame Street Unpaved was on Noggin.

16. LittleJerry92

If you really want to see old episods, why not just go undercover as a spy at the workshop and get them yourslf? :rolleyes:

17. D'Snowth

Do you live under a rock? In addition to all that I just previously mentioned, what about the whoppin' 40 years book they put out as well? Or are you just notoriously hard to please?

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, like what anniversaries are worth celebrating? Like, can you blame them for not doing that big a whooplah for season 45? Like, what's so special about that compared to 44 or 46?

50 is a big number. Half a century. There's no way they're going to let that slide without doing something big.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  19. LittleJerry92

Seems to be the latter, like many ungrateful fans. *cough* ONES ON YOUTUBE *cough*

Bliffenstimmers and Schfifty like this.
  20. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Especially the ones on YouTube that can't entirely get the phrase "no requests."

To answer the OP, I imagine it would be in 2019, because that's exactly fifty years after Sesame premiered. It would seem a little awkward if they didn't celebrate a huge milestone that year.