Will there be a Jim Henson Hour DVD?

tebennett

Reaction score
:big_grin: - Will there be a DVD release of this series? If so, when? If not, why not?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
There could be but since HIT/MHC own seperate parts of The Jim Henson Hour there is possibly no way to see it in it's entirety.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would be great to see the MuppeTelevision segments on DVD. I'd rather see a DVD release of MuppeTelevision than Muppets Tonight, which is rumored to be planned for release after the fifht season of The Muppet Show get's released.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I doubt it. If i remember right, it debuted on NBC-TV durring the 1988-89 season as a midseason replacement and was canceled at the end of the season. It's extremely rare to see short lived shows go into reruns therefore it's probbaly unlikely will see it on DVD.

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
It's extremely rare to see short lived shows go into reruns therefore it's probbaly unlikely will see it on DVD.
That statement made no sense whatsoever. But I agree it's unlikely that the Henson Hour will be released on DVD in the forseeable future.

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
The chances of a show going into reruns have very little to do with the chances of that show being released on DVD.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Well I don't know abiut that. I'm just using logical thinking that if a series of anykind from the past was unsucessful, it's probably unlikely either their reruns will be distributed or be put on DVD. I have some book at home on TV shows and looked up many shows of the past which had gone into reruns after they ended and most of them were in production for more than a year. So 1 must figure 1 isn't going to put any kind of short lived show out on DVD or in TV reruns. That may not always be the case but I'm probably far from wrong.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A lot of unsuccessful TV shows have been released on DVD. Among them:

*Get a Life (two single-disc volumes of four episodes each, but I have heard that a complete first season set is in the works)
*Greg the Bunny (was cancled after 10 episodes, all 13 produced episodes are included in one set)
*The Tick (cancled after one season, complete series is available on DVD)
*The Critic (was cancled after two seasosn, and both seasons were released in one set; Of course, reruns of this show were included on Comedye Central)
*Wacky Races (though I'm not sure if this was cancled or not)
*Clerks: The Animated Series (cancled after only two episodes, all six produced episodes have been released)

And some unsuccessful shows are coming to DVD in the near future, including:

*Police Squad (six epsiodes were made, all had previously been available on video, and this series inspired the Naked Gun movies)
*The Weird Al Show (all 13 episodes are coming August 15)

Also, every episode of The StoryTeller and Greek Myths have been released on DVD, and more recently, they were packaged into a two-pack. I'm not sure if you'd call these successful or not. So a lot of unsuccessful shows are available on DVD, many in complete form.

Also, even if The Jim Henson Hour wasn't successful, people know who the Muppets are, so if some recognisable Muppets like Kermit were featured on the cover, people might buy it. After all, The Muppet Show: Season One set was successful, and it's rumored that plans for a Muppets Tonight set are planned for after the fifth season release (though Muppets Tonight is only slightly more successful). I feel the same way about Little Muppet Monsters (just put out a DVD set and include images of the animated adult Muppetsalongside the monsters).