Will they ever release a Jim Henson Hour DVD?

Lazarus

Reaction score
I really would like to see the show. Since they released the Storyteller, I was hoping they'd release the Jim Henson Hour. I saw a bit of Monstermaker when I was five (back in 1995, a re-run), and I loved it.

If not...is there a torrent anywhere? I hate resorting to that, but if that's the only option I'll download it.

Thank-you!

alorindanya

Reaction score
I too would LOVE to see this released. I'm lucky to have recorded one episode, the one with Dog City, and I have put it on DVD so I can save it forever...even though the quality isn't that good because the tape was 15+ years old.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would like to have a Jim Henson Hour DVD, though if it were a complete series DVD then Henson and Disney would have to work out a special deal, otherwise it would be cut up.

The Dog City special has been released on DVD (in the UK but not the US :mad: :boo: ), and all of the Storyteller episodes have been released on DVD as well.

Lazarus

Reaction score
I loved the Storyteller DVD. I really hope they do end up releasing the Jim Henson Hour.

Why would the show be cut up, though?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lazarus said:
Why would the show be cut up, though?
Because the rights are split between companies. Disney owns the rights to the MuppeTelevision segments, Miss Piggy's Hollywood, the Dog City pre-show sequence, and the muppet-specific sequences from The Secrets of The Muppets (and I think Disney might also own the Innertube pilot, or at least parts of it), while The Jim Henson Company still owns the rights to everything else from the show.

Marky

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Because the rights are split between companies. Disney owns the rights to the MuppeTelevision segments, Miss Piggy's Hollywood, the Dog City pre-show sequence, and the muppet-specific sequences from The Secrets of The Muppets (and I think Disney might also own the Innertube pilot, or at least parts of it), while The Jim Henson Company still owns the rights to everything else from the show.
How do you know Disney owns the rights to the afformentioned Muppet clips? Are you asuming this? It's not like Columbia doesn't still run off MTM, MFS & KSY.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
odd

when this happens to a show, it just amazes me. why the **** would you sell all these different segmetns/rights/charactes to so many different studios? it is a nightmare later to even attempt to put them back together again, produce a DVD, or just replay them on t.v.

I have personally never understood this with companies. they sell the rights like crazy, and the whole production falls to pieces, because later, these companies can't settle on a financial outcome or disagree on distribution rights. i know its for money, when you realy get to the source, but this just seems in retrospect completely irresponsible of companies to disect their series/rights into different pieces, scattered all over the face of the earth. IMO its just sloppy mismanagement, and companies trying to make an extra buck for the time being, without looking into the future, and seeing the potential of having the show/movie/characters as a whole, and producing them as a "whole" and reaping the rewards later. by the time the legal fuss, and money is spent getting it all back together again, you've blown any money you've saved and harbored over the years, and in the long run the fans are the ones that suffer, waiting for companies to fight it out like school children.

oh well.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
In Feburary 2004, the rights to the Muppets were bought by The Walt Disney Company. This was the only series where the distribution rights were split between The Walt Disney Company and The Jim Henson Company.
there is the answer

EasyBeinGreen

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see this show on dvd (I've never seen an episode) I'm afraid that day is probably pretty far away. But a little bit of optimism never hurt anyone, so let's keep hoping for that day to come!

travellingpat

Reaction score
Im hopin they do too! All ive seen is the Secrets of the Muppets episode on a tape from a rerun and the show looks fantastic! Hop they do some day...
Pat