Will we get a Sesame Street TV Special to honor the 50th anniversary in 2019?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
But for the big special/documentary/DVD idea I thought of, a title like "Evolution of Sesame Street" or "Sesame Street Keeping With the Times" would be good, instead of necessarily including the clips we would expect to see, they could show clips that are a product of when they came out. Season one clips would include the original dopey Big Bird, orange Oscar, gray green Grover, orange-and-purple-shirt violet-nosed Ernie, maybe Matt Robinson as Gordon, and maybe Buddy and Jim, the early 1970s could also include Roosevelt Franklin, yellow-eyed Snuffy (I think his "imaginary" status lasted too long for what I have in mind, blue-nosed Herry, and clips with Molly, Rafael, and Tom, the late-1970s could be represented with some disco tunes, and so on. And there could be parodies of things that lost popularity shortly after their Sesame spoofs and clips with celebrity guests who were already near their 15th minute of fame.

Maybe it'd be a little audience-alienating, but it's something I'd like to see.
Those are definitely good ideas. Maybe we could see something where present day Big Bird interacted with the old dopey Big Bird or maybe the current Gordon would meet the original Gordon. (I know Matt Robinson is deceased because they could probably get a look alike.) I say this because they've had old meets new crossovers with the Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons and even Garfield, so it may work with SS. But again, that's just a thought.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would hope that they would contact Frank and let him come back in some fashion, since next to Carol he is the only other living Muppet prefomer who was with the show in the beginning.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. That would be neat since he would come to perform his characters on occassion, but now he seems to have retired from SS altogether:

:smile::embarrassed::concern: But now he seems to have retired from SS.

It would be interesting to see him make a comeback for a 50th anniversary special.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yeah. That would be neat since he would come to perform his characters on occassion, but now he seems to have retired from SS altogether:

:smile::embarrassed::concern: But now he seems to have retired from SS.

It would be interesting to see him make a comeback for a 50th anniversary special.
From what I have gathered from his most recent interviewstudy and such is that he has not retired. Sesame just has not contacted him in about 5 years or so to come and preform. It's also around the same time they started recasting Ernie from Steve Whitmire.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
From what I have gathered from his most recent interviewstudy and such is that he has not retired. Sesame just has not contacted him in about 5 years or so to come and preform. It's also around the same time they started recasting Ernie from Steve Whitmire.
Quite a coincidence there.:rolleyes:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought of something that would make an awesome DVD release for the 50th season (though it doesn't have to be for an anniversary): A release featuring clips of every single recurring Muppet character, no matter how minor or obscure or liked they are.

One thing that'd make a good bonus feature, whether in the disc menus itself or a special booklet, would be profiles on every recurring Muppet, with some info on the character (especially if people might not realize certain obscure characters were recurring) and a listing of all clips on the discs that they appear in. A lot of major and probably secondary characters would surely be included multiple times (I don't think, for example, that there's a single Oscar the Grouch scene that also has Bruno, Irvine, Grundgetta, Fluffy, Slimey, Osvaldo, Charles the Robot, and all Oscar's pets in the same scene, though many of those characters do have segments without Oscar).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another idea that would make for a good 50th anniversary special or home video compilation would be one showcasing the favorite moments of the cast and crew (hopefully they would consult the recently-let-go cast members about their favorite moments). I wonder if there'd be much overlapping (I'm sure many of the old cast and crew would list Big Bird learning about Mr. Hooper's death).

Another thing that would be great for the anniversary, though not a special: It'd be cool if HBO would have special marathon weekends focusing on a single season from season one up until the upcoming 50th season. If not a 48-hour weekend, maybe show six episodes from a single season on Saturday and again on Sunday, even if they're episodes that otherwise never air on HBO (which would be the case with most pre-1993 episodes). And when they get to the 1990s, it'd be cool if they would include episodes from that era that aren't in the channel's current rotation.

Reruns are airing under "Sesame Street Classics", it'd be great if HBO would start a second classics package, maybe call it "Sesame Street Golden Classics" and show episodes from the first 24 episodes (or maybe have the cut-off date be earlier). Or maybe a package of episodes from the first 5-10 seasons and call it "Sesame Street Golden Oldies".

Last edited:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
If I may point in my 2 cents: I would do a Banquet similar to what the Muppets did for their 30th anniversary and in that way it would reunite with not only the adult cast, but also spotlight former adult cast members from the show's 50th year history.

That would please fans like me who grew up in the 90s and saw Sesame Street Cast of that time.

The only catch to all of this is the current Muppet cast and by cast I mean the men and women who currently play these iconic characters and how it would be for them to interact with cast members from the past, before their time on the show.