Wizard of Oz (Baum, Movie, Books)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, I figured with the new film coming out that we could reserve a thread exlusively for discussion about OZ as NOT Muppet related--in other words, about any of the 40 books by L. Frank Baum, John R. Neill, or Ruth Plumley Thompson, and the 1939 Movie. Related slightly to The Muppets is the film "Return to Oz," which featured puppetry by Brian Henson!

Here's a general OZ FAQ:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/oz.faq
--------------------------------------------------
First up, you can click on some of this listing of the books by Baum and Thompson to read them online: (from the FAQ above)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Baum, 1900)
The Marvelous Land of Oz (Baum, 1904)
Ozma of Oz (Baum, 1907)
Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Baum, 1908)
The Road to Oz (Baum, 1909)
The Emerald City of Oz (Baum, 1910)
The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Baum, 1913)
Tik-Tok of Oz (Baum, 1914)
The Scarecrow of Oz (Baum, 1915)
Rinkitink in Oz (Baum, 1916)
The Lost Princess of Oz (Baum, 1917)
The Tin Woodman of Oz (Baum, 1918)
The Magic of Oz (Baum, 1919)
Glinda of Oz (Baum, 1920)

The Royal Book of Oz (Thompson--although R&L editions say Baum, 1921)
Kabumpo in Oz (Thompson, 1922)
The Cowardly Lion of Oz (Thompson, 1923)
Grampa in Oz (Thompson, 1924)
The Lost King of Oz (Thompson, 1925)
The Hungry Tiger of Oz (Thompson, 1926)
The Gnome King of Oz (Thompson, 1927)
The Giant Horse of Oz (Thompson, 1928)
Jack Pumpkinhead of Oz (Thompson, 1929)
The Yellow Knight of Oz (Thompson, 1930)
Pirates in Oz (Thompson, 1931)
The Purple Prince of Oz (Thompson, 1932)
Ojo in Oz (Thompson, 1933)
Speedy in Oz (Thompson, 1934)
The Wishing Horse of Oz (Thompson, 1935)
Captain Salt in Oz (Thompson, 1936)
Handy Mandy in Oz (Thompson, 1937)
The Silver Princess in Oz (Thompson, 1938)
Ozoplaning With the Wizard of Oz (Thompson, 1939)

The Wonder City of Oz (Neill, 1940)
The Scalawagons of Oz (Neill, 1941)
Lucky Bucky in Oz (Neill, 1942)

The Magical Mimics in Oz (Snow, 1946)
The Shaggy Man of Oz (Snow, 1949)

The Hidden Valley of Oz (Cosgrove, 1951)

Merry Go Round in Oz (McGraw and Wagner, 1963)

If you cursor over the book titles in this next link, a picture of the book's cover appears on your screen! Let this site have a few seconds to finish downloading before you try it though.
-----------------------------------------------------
The Official Oz Canon:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6396/ozcanon.htm

WW Denslow, who illustrated The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, had ownership of the characters and stole them to write his own book; then John R Neill came in as an illustrator and his artwork is my favorite!

Of the characters in these books, Scarecrow and Jack Pumpkinhead are my favorites.

I also wrote my own book, The Emerald Talismans of Oz, which never has been published but was intended for such as part of the 100th anniversary of the first book (there was this contest, see, and...nevermind--I lost)...

Anyways, Eric Shanower did some GREAT graphic novels, basing his art off Neill's (I think), and they're printed from Hungry Tiger Press.

PS: What's funny is if you look at my google search, the bottom-most finding is a post of mine from a different MC thread! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ruth+plumley+thompson

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Wow, 40 books!! I have eight of them, I think; I had no idea there were so many! Cool...
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
They are good books; I don't think I ever got bored with any of them! BTW: Didja know that Glinda is from the Quadling Country in the South, while the Good Witch of the Gillikin Country of Oz is named Tattypoo. BTW, there were more than just the Wicked Witches of the East and West.

Oz is seperated into 4 countries with a capital:
North Gillikin Country (Purple)
East Munchkin Country (Blue)
South Quadling Country (Red)
West Winkie Country (Yellow)
In the center of all 4 is Emerald City (Green)

The Land of Oz is rectangular in shape and is surrounded by a deadly desert. There are countries that surround oz as well, and those countries are surrounded by waters.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
Yay! I'm so glad there are some other Oz enthusiasts on the board. I love the books as well (haven't gotten through all of them) but I think the first one is my favorite, just so near and dear to my heart.
BTW- have you read "wicked" yet? It's all about what was going on in Oz before Dorothy dropped in.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I have not read Wicked, although I own it. There are several parts of that book which do not line up effectively with the actual histories (the 40 books) of Oz. In some book the name of the Wicked Witch Of the West was given, and it's different in Wicked.

My favorite books are Scarecrow of Oz, but I really enjoyed the Royal Book of Oz--a book that I own a first edition print of (the purchase of which kind of has a story).

mb22

Reaction score
mupvisiongirl said:
Yay! I'm so glad there are some other Oz enthusiasts on the board. I love the books as well (haven't gotten through all of them) but I think the first one is my favorite, just so near and dear to my heart.
BTW- have you read "wicked" yet? It's all about what was going on in Oz before Dorothy dropped in.
WICKED (the book) is an adult-themed 'reimagining' that borrows elements from both the film and a few of the books. It certainly doesn't fit in with the regular children's series.

There is also a great Oz FAQ (perhaps the most comprehensive online) at http://www.eskimo.com/~tiktok/ozfaq.html

There is also the International Wizard of Oz Club as well.

Whatever

Reaction score
I've read most of the Oz books. They're very entertaining.

mb22

Reaction score
Baum and Henson

And lest anyone forget, some (not all) of JIM HENSON'S MOTHER GOOSE STORIES were based on Baum's short tales in his first children's book MOTHER GOOSE IN PROSE (the set design was inspired by the Maxfield Parrish illustrations).

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
mb22 said:
And lest anyone forget, some (not all) of JIM HENSON'S MOTHER GOOSE STORIES were based on Baum's short tales in his first children's book MOTHER GOOSE IN PROSE (the set design was inspired by the Maxfield Parrish illustrations).
I didn't realize that!! I just remembered that Jim Henson was a huge Oz fan.