1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Words You Overuse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hubert, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have obscure, more uncommon words that they are using all the time?

Ones that come to mind for me would be "vibe" and "wary." It seems like I'm constantly using them (especially on the fourm)
  2. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

The word "though" and "especially" I use alot.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've noticed She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named has a tendency to use "sweet" in her vocabulary, when I don't believe have been saying "sweet" since the 90s, or at least early 2000s.
  4. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Kids my age say sweet all time. Along with "sick" for some reason. For Example: "Hey, I just got this sick new ice cream cone!"
  5. D'Snowth

Well, that one's new on me.
  6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Y'know, I never really hear people use the word "sick" all that often in that instance. It seems to me that they'd just as soon replace it with a swear or something...or not use anything there at all.
  7. D'Snowth

When I was in middle school, for like an entire year, the biggest word in every kid's vocabulary was "Trifolin"... and to this day, I STILL have NO idea what in the world that word means! I think they got it from one of those naughty pop songs that the kids liked to listen to in those days (I think there was a verse in a song that went something like, "I heard she was trifolin" or whatever).
  8. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I start sentences with Basically ____.
  9. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I hear "legit" tossed around by people a lot. it drives me bonkers.

I am quite fond of the words "quite" and "baffle" though :p
  10. CaseytheMuppet

Yeah. All the girls at my school ALWAYS say legit. Like we don't believe what they're saying. "I just saw a squirrel in the dumpster. Like, legit." :rolleyes:
  11. D'Snowth

If we're going to talk about words that drive us bonkers, then I'd add "preggers" to that list as well... THANKFULLY, nobody seems to say that hardly anymore, but I couldn't stand it when people said it all the time... but then again, I wasn't fond of that period of time where everybody had to abbreviate every word associated with romance to try to make it sound even more mushy and sickening ("Preggers", "Hubby", "Wifey", etc). In fact, "preggers" sounds more like a name for a snack food.
    Schoolgirls are ALWAYS like that... it's just the way they are. You can't live with it, you can't live without it. There's something irresistibleish about it.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  12. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I also find that I use "literally" quite too often when it isn't necessary...
  13. D'Snowth

I think that literally everybody in the entire world literally hates it when literally everyone else literally uses the word "literally" like literally every other sentence.
    Plaid Fraggle and CaseytheMuppet like this.
  14. Sgt Floyd

Like, you know, I like, tend to, like, use the word "like," like, a lot. :p

Yeah...I admit that. Not to the same extremes as some people, but...
  15. D'Snowth

Well duh, you're a girl (half the time), girls ALWAYS talk like that like.
  16. Sgt Floyd

CCC might beg to differ on "half the time"

You know what, dude? "Dude" is another word I overuse :p
  17. CaseytheMuppet

I use awesome a LOT. I mean, it's an awesome word, right. I reference that in my YouTube videos. My puppet Casey the Muppet always uses the phrase, "Super Awesome!!" It's sort of a running gag.
  18. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Y'know, "dude" is actually a word that I never, ever use. It just never seemed to make it to my vocabulary.

"Guys," on the other hand, is a word I use constantly. I mean, basically anytime I'm referring to 2 or more people, "guys" is somewhere in the sentence. Probably more in real life than online, though, which is weird.

On the subject of "awesome," I used to always say that I never, ever, use it due to the fact that the meaning of "awesome" was destroyed. "Awesome" used to be saved for something really special and unique, putting you in awe, but it has turned into an adjective for anything good. But lately, however, I find myself gradually slipping the word "awesome" into my vocabulary unknowingly...so it's stuck there now.
  19. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I used to use "guys", but once I found out it's mostly used to refer to males, I started using "folks".
  20. CaseytheMuppet

*to Hubert*

Yeah, I know what you are saying. That tends to happen with a lot of words. :/