Work Area for Building Puppets

CBPuppets

Reaction score
What would be the best area to work on a puppet? I usually work in my bedroom or in a basement of my grandma's house. do you have any words of Wisdom for this?

RockerRob

Reaction score
The ideal thing would be to have your own studio, but that is just a dream for most of us. I work in the kitchen/dining room because there are a lot of big flat surfaces for me to speard my stuff around. It is also good to have a spot where you can always leave some stuff out and work on details if you have to leave the kitchen. So, big flat surfaces and a place where you can always have at least some part of your project out. Just a warning for the kitchen: clean the counters before you spread out, or a mystery substance could wind up an unitntinal part of your puppet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I usually work wherever I have space, but RockerBob has the right idea, it's nice to have your own workshop.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Because I'm a girl, I can get away with having the almighty craft room. Oh yes, it started off as a place simply for sewing and scrapbooking, and sure we had the computer in there as well, but slowly...very slowly, things creeped out into the sun-room...now the computer has been pushed out into the living room and i have TWO WHOLE ROOMS in which i may create chaos. *rubs hands maniacally*

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
When I lived in Mexico, our place had a small maid's apartment attached to it (this is pretty common in a lot of upper/middle class Mexican homes) that I used as a studio and it was great. Now back in Canada I have an office I work out of, but it's not really big enough to accommodate puppet building (of which I don't do much these days). I do have supplies and tools organized and stashed in those rolling plastic drawer units that Rubbermaid sells and I keep them in a storage closet in the kitchen so when they are needed I can just roll them out and work wherever there is space.

What I would love to do is build the traditional Shaker workbench that was featured in this month's Woodworking Magazine.

RockerRob

Reaction score
The Shakers made amazing stuff. That workbench is definitely something to be salivated over.

All these people with extra rooms or two rooms even! I have to clean up whenever I finish for the day! I guess it forces me to be really organized with each project and I know for sure where everything is. A giant plastic bag from Jo Ann's and a cardboard box is all you really need for storage. Add some floor space and a spot for the sewing machine and you're in business! Puppet building mininimalism. I don't recomend it.