Working with Fur

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
So, I was working on a puppet today and was using fake fur for the hair. And I found that it doesn't conform well to a round shape like a head. I got the hair to look relatively decent by cutting, gluing and a little bit of comb over. But I was wondering if there was an easier way to work with fur so that it doesn't end up looking like a patchwork job?

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Thanks, it helps a little bit. Do you have any sugeestions for what to do if you're attaching fur to a puppet? As opposed to making the puppet from fur. Like if you have to put peices of fur on a specific area, other htan making sure it's all going the same direction, would you suggest, cutting and overlapping peices or trying to firugre out how to dart a peice so that it conforms right?

Melonpool

Reaction score
I would dart it, I pretty much use fur the same way I use Antron or any other material on a puppet.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Fur

Do you mean like the critter I built here?
http://puppeteersunite.com/?p=1856
I basically cut to fit the fur and antron, and pin them down. I spot spray glue some sections depending on the section. I then stitch the pieces together using a Henson Stitch (Ladder Stitch).

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Yea, more like that, thanks. Did you attach the fur before or after you stuffed the head? And did it form well? My problem was trying to take a flat peice or fur and attached it to a spherical surface, so it ended up not laying flat.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I made a foam head and pinned the fabric to it. Basically practice is the key to the whole process.

Just to let you know once the fabric is pinned it doesn't come off of the puppet when sewing.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I usually only glue the fabric at the mouth. Everything else is just a very snug fit.