1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Worst Muppet Movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by MuppetFan12, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Well, one song isn't forgettable because it won an Oscar! While I disagree with a lot of your assessment, that's the only legitimate point of contention because rest is a matter of personal taste. ;) I must admit to not being as excited as I should have been upon leaving the theater, but I really did dig the movie. :fanatic:

Letters to Santa was a missed opportunity. Everyone showed up to play and the story was there, but the screenwriting never fell into place. In fact, I've been somewhat unsatisfied with the Muppets writing since MFS. Some projects get it better than others (I actually liked a lot of VMX), but there's still a little something missing.

beatnikchick300 likes this.
  2. StevieOpossum

StevieOpossum Active Member

Despite loving The Muppets, I agree with you on all those points. The ending was kinda forced, I liked the original "Statler and Waldorf-giving-the-last-dollar" ending. The only song in movie I truly liked was "The Whistling Caruso". *prepares for the flaming*

3. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Muppets From Space and Muppets Take Manhattan are also guilty of this.

4. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Was this alternate ending something that was filmed as part of the deleted/alternate scenes, or just a script idea the writers were tossing around that ultimately never made the final draft?

5. StevieOpossum

The latter. I think one draft of the movie had that ending, from what I've heard on here.

6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

They they had kept the S&W ending, they wouldn't have learned anything. Them losing the theater showed them they didn't need it, they had each other. S&W just giving them the dollar wouldn't have made for an interesting climax at all, unless they did what the junior novel did (at least, I think it was that) and have it blow away.

DrDientes and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm really glad they didn't use the Statler and Waldorf ending. First of all, that was exactly the same as the Stars and Street special, where Oscar saves the street. Statler and Waldorf saving the theater should have happened in VMX. It would have worked better there.

While I'd love to rip all the negativity about The Muppets up (I mean, really? The previous films before that are far worse.... let's not forget everyone really hates KSY) and basically accuse people of being ungrateful fans... okay... You're pretty freaking ungrateful. If we didn't get that movie, we'd probably get another lame book based film or something with F-list celebrities doing pop culture references every 2 minutes. I said it. I'm not saying we all have to love it, but to call it "the worst" is a bit much. These guys made a movie they thought the fans would like, rather than a cynical cash grab like every single revival franchise for kids ever. That's basically like ripping up a kid's drawing and saying "You call that a cow? Start over!"

I mean, "forgettable songs." At least we got songs. Let's not forget that. Yeah, Me Party sucked and just reinforced a very obvious plot point, I'll give you that. Amy Adams pretty much begged not to cut it.

Anyway, the only problem I have with The Muppets is the pacing and editing. The ending is a cop out? NOT if they kept the full Let's Talk About Me in tact. The ending came too fast into the credits? Yeah. I agree with that. The run time of the film should have been 100 minutes. A few bits of breathing room, scenes that actually explained stuff being in tact... that would have fleshed the movie out. It begged for an extended Donner cut on home video, but Disney didn't want to.

Now, the Worst Muppet movie I've already bludgeoned into everyone's heads. We know what it is. It was dark, cynical, poorly cast, and all around a pointless misfire. It was a seizure inducing embarrassment with extremely forgettable songs that really suck. One song is actually quite disturbing when you hear the lyrics... and the film almost sunk Disney's building Muppet Franchise. Every big plan they had that year? Died with that film getting poor reviews and not getting good ratings. Probably dysmal DVD sales too And THAT got a Donner cut extended version. Proof life is Unfair.

Why certain fans decide to pick on The Muppets instead of such an embarrassing, shameful demographic based depression fuel like that is far beyond me.

8. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I don't think there's been a Muppet movie that I've truly disliked (except Kermit's Swamp Years, but I don't count that as a Muppet movie), but I think the one I've liked the least was Muppets Wizard of Oz.

I definitely don't HATE it, but it's the one I've probably watched the least on DVD. It did have some great moments though.

9. Drtooth

You know... I'm the only one here who didn't see KSY.

Because you all painted a very dire portrait of it, I was way too put off to actually see it.

10. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

I support everything The Muppets do and I wouldn't say anything they've ever done has been bad but let's just say if it wasn't written by Jerry Juhl, Jim Henson or Frank Oz then I'm not a big fan.

11. Drtooth

Ladies and gentlemen...

Geewun.

No one lives forever, and no one should be associated with one thing forever. I'd rather they keep the franchise going than bury it under mothballs for the occasional DVD release and T-shirt. Are newer Muppet works as good as the classic ones? Not really. But you can't replicate something that's that personal. It happens to every major franchise and classic character. I recently found this out... the reason why The Looney Tunes show is a sitcom instead is because the show runners knew it was a fool's errand to try to make Looney Tunes shorts in the style of the original ones. Because when they did that, no one liked them either. Even the ones done by actual Looney Tunes creators before they all passed on get unfavorable comparisons (even though that stuff's leaps and bounds over the boring crap they made in the 30's and the terrible ones they made in the late 60's).

And let's not forget that even when they have the same creative forces, it's not a guarantee that future projects will hold up. I need only say George Lucas... though to be fair the original trilogy was a more collaborative effort, and George's original concepts that got shot down were actually as bad as the prequel stuff. The prequels were "bad" because his worst concepts weren't overruled. In fact, he's the exception to the rule. Star Wars is generally better taken out of his hands.

Even with TV shows... even if they have the same returning cast... either the show gets picked up after years of cancellation OR the show is a long runner, there's always something missing (or something that generally changes with show evolution) that they can't recapture.

Basically, what I'm saying is of course it's going to be different. The best they can do is make it as not different as possible. You'll get a Xerox of a Xerox at best. If they basically throw out everything that made the original a classic (unless they hit a 21 Jump Street like fluke) it's far worse than trying to copy it.

12. StevieOpossum

While the editing of TM is poor and KSY was meh. MWoZ was the only one that's near unwatchable. I don't really have any problems with MFS, though. Except Kermit doing nothing and having no character.

13. Mr Sweetums

I like the Muppet, I like what they do now, I'm glad they've continued, I rather have more Muppets than no Muppets yet... i'm a big fan of Henson, Oz and Juhl and my Muppet fandom is even bigger for their projects than the newer ones.

I'm a bigger fan of TMM than TM but do I want them to stop? Not at all :fanatic:

In my opinion The Muppets were so eager to find replacements for Jim Henson and Frank Oz (and the did an amazing job finding them) but they forgot to find one for Jerry Juhl and that's why after MTI i'm not such a big fan.

matleo likes this.
  14. Drtooth

While I give MFS the business quite a bit, I still enjoy the film. Everything wrong with that film was the director. He ruined the original ending (for those who haven't heard it a hundred times, the aliens weren't actually Gonzo's species), and forced in mundane bits (checking mail and painting houses). The problems I have with the movie:

• Kermit and Piggy both seem emotionally distant and pretty much lobotomized. They seem like extended brief cameos in their own movie.
    • Where the heck did 90% of the Muppets go after the breakfast scene? The concept of the Muppets all living in one big boarding house was a strong one, and then it disappears quickly, to only focus on 5 or 6 characters. Many an opportunity was missed.
    • Trying to show the Muppets on a routine day of chores wasn't exactly the best use of screentime. They didn't even do said chores in a fun, Muppety way.
    • Rob Schneider... just... just Rob Schneider.
    • The rescue sequence seems very clumsy, and it lost more opportunities.
    Other than that, when the movie was good, it was really good. If only the rest of the film was like the opening, the Bobo and Jeffery Tambor chemistry, the hot tub party, the lab rat sequence, and Gonzo with VanNeuter, the film could have been great.

15. Mr Sweetums

I totally agree with you Dr Tooth

If i'm honest this film might have not been extremely kind with Muppet fans but it sure did understand its generation. Muppet From Space is the only Muppet movie my friends have ever watched with me in it's entirety and enjoyed it. If their were musical numbers and such I don't they would have kept watching. Pepe, Van Neuter and the lab rats also came at the right time and won over all my friends.

At the same time a Muppet movies main concern should be a Muppet fan :D

16. Drtooth

The problem with Muppets from Space is that it had potential. Sure, they could have taken a few more risks with certain other Muppet films, but there was such a genuine air of indifference behind the production. Sony and Henson pretty much waved the thing off, not being surprised when it flopped at the box office. Troubled productions rarely produce positive effects, and MFS's production trouble was it's downfall.

But there are some genuinely funny bits and I can't say I didn't enjoy it and still do. I still enjoy it more than MCC, even though MCC is the better put together film.

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  17. KrazyJoe

KrazyJoe Member

Treasure Island and Wizard of Oz. (and Christmas Carol, but that's the best of the three)

I don't really care for the Muppets playing roles. I like seeing them as themselves.

18. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It works though; Jim has said he never really thought of the characters as actual characters, but rather, actors that just happen to be puppets.

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Technically, all the movies are them playing roles.

20. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

I will admit that although I don't completely hate it, I've never been a fan of Muppet Treasure Island. There are multiple aspects from the movie that I like, but otherwise, I find the rest of it pretty boring.