"Yeah, verily"

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
any one know the meaning and correct way to use the phrase "yeah verily", it justs sounds like fun to add to my everyday vocabulary lol. Ive heard it before, but most recently I heard it on a Spongebob episode "salior mouth" (one of the best episodes) and Ive been trying to look it up on the net, but no sucess... any one know how to use it?
Thanks
Katie :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I believe it's "yay, varily", but I'm not too sure on that.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
more than likely

yeah it more than likely it is, I dont know how to spell it, thats just how google said to spell it, lol

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I think it's actually "yea, verily" (no "h" at the end of the first word). "Yeah" is more modern English, "yea" would be the mideveal pronounciation/spelling. Hope that helped.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
hmm never heard that saying in my life......maybe someday when I move and get rid of my southern drawl (and goodness knows, I have one!)

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
any one know the meaning and correct way to use the phrase "yeah verily", it justs sounds like fun to add to my everyday vocabulary lol. Ive heard it before, but most recently I heard it on a Spongebob episode "salior mouth" (one of the best episodes) and Ive been trying to look it up on the net, but no sucess... any one know how to use it?
Thanks
Katie :wink:

My advice is to get a copy of the King James translation of the Bible and read through the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. It was translated in the 1600s by William Tyndale, so the language is from Shakespeare's time. A lot of Jesus Christ's sentences begin with the phrase.

"Yea, verily" is a synonym for "In truth", "To be certain", or even in Muppet lingo, "Fer sure, rully". Anyway, after reading in the four Gospels for a while, the phrase should be permanently engrained in your vocabulary. Yea verily, you will find many new phrases in Old English there.

Hope it helps ya!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf