Year-End Statistics

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was always under the suspicion that it was warmer/hotter down here longer than it was cooler/colder, so starting January 1 of last year, each day I would make note of the weather, and for any days where the official high of the day was of 69 or below, the calendar day would be left blank, however for days where the official high was 70 or higher, then that day on the calendar would receive a large red cross on it.

Now then, thanks to my not-so-patented technology, after going over the statistics, I have recorded that for 2009, Knoxville experienced exactly 165 days of cooler weather (ranging anywhere between high temperates in the high 20s/low 30s to 68), and exactly 196 days of warmer weather (ranging anywhere between highs of exactly 70 to the mid 90s). THEN, there's the matter of 4 days that are marked undetermined, as those days the official high were listed as being 69... which can round off to 70... which is... well... warm.

Now then, the numbers are fine, but I needed more visual calculations, so thanks to the wonderous technology of Sharpie, I was able to create a pie chart, using black for the outlining, blue for the cool days, red for the warm days, and green for the undetermined days. Now then, out of the entire year, January, February, and Decemeber were the only months that were completely cool for the entire month, while June, July, and August were the only months that were hot for the entire month. March and November were mostly cool, April was mostly warm, October was exactly split down the middle, wereas both May and September had exactly one day out of the month of cool weather (though May had one of the undetermined days). So with the visual aid, and the statistics, it is clear that it's actually a lot closer than I had assumed. With the demographics of the pie chart, it would appear that they're not an even division, and the four days of undetermined doesn't help too much, but for the most part, it would appear that 65% of the entire year is warm, and 40% of the year is cool.

Now I know what you're asking... "And you felt the need to figure all of this out because...?" Well, I'll tell ya... because I'm a nut, haven't you figured that out by now?