Yhis was my favorite old sketch

maxdrive

Reaction score
The one where Kermit and the little girl is doing the ABC's and as they say a letter it apears beside them and the little girl keeps saying cookie mosnter and insted of a letter you see a picture of cookie monste ri laughed so much at this. do they still show it on the show who else loved this skitch

SesameMike

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the girl was not supposed to say "Cookie Monster" when that sketch was being taped. Yet they ad-libbed through it, and it's since become one of the most fondly remembered pieces.

I know of one other Sesame Street sketch in which a mistake was supposedly made, and they decided to keep it in for unique dramatic effect. It was the Grover the Waiter skit in which Fat Blue ordered a bowl of hot alphabet soup, and made sure that it indeed had the entire English alphabet. Twice he had to call Grover back to get missing letters from the kitchen (which I might add were rather large, about 2 inches high. Most alphabet soups I've eaten have letters about 1/8th that tall.) As he came to the letter "Y"... (best as I can recall):

FAT BLUE: "U, V, W, X, Y... Uh, Waiter!!"

GROVER: (runs up) "Yessir!"

FAT BLUE: "There is no 'Y' in my soup. Oops, I was wrong. There is a 'Y'"

GROVER: (glancing in bowl) "I see the 'Y' there..."

FAT BLUE: "It's the 'Z'. I can't eat this soup without a 'Z'"

My understanding that getting the Y and Z mixed up was an actual mistake on the part of the Muppeteer.

There are other places in the arts where mistakes turned out to be a good thing. Like Billy Joel in "You're Only Human" (S...sss.sometimes that's what it takes) or The Mamas and the Papas in "I saw her again" (I saw her..[oops, started too early].. I saw her again last night). Do we see less of that today because of technology making it too easy to correct things?

Jenny

Reaction score
Skits

Hi :smile: I don't really remember that one, I like the ones' with Kermit and Forgetful. I watch it with my son, and they don't have Kermit on it anymore, or Forgetful, or that big orange and white sheep dog, remember him? It has changed quite a bit from when we were little. It kinda makes me sad.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I remember those sketches. A few fillers for the posters in this thread.
Jenny, the name of that orange and white sheepdog is Barkley. Actually, his name would've been Woof-Woof if Bob had had his way.
The name of the little girl in that sketch with Kermit is listed on my Muppet Listings as Joey.
The sketch was shown on the episode of Farscape where the crew of Moya comes back down to Earth in the year 1986 A.D.
Hope this helps and have a good night.

maxdrive

Reaction score
Did they every say why Barkly isnt on any more did they do a eppisode where the dog dies and who owns the dog. its a shame they dont use kermit any more in epps of sesame street he was very funny as the reporter

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
Barkley was Linda's dog. I have not seen Linda on the show lately either, so maybe she moved away with Barkley. Does anybody know when and why Linda left the show?

maxdrive

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
It's my understanding that the girl was not supposed to say "Cookie Monster" when that sketch was being taped. Yet they ad-libbed through it, and it's since become one of the most fondly remembered pieces.

I know of one other Sesame Street sketch in which a mistake was supposedly made, and they decided to keep it in for unique dramatic effect. It was the Grover the Waiter skit in which Fat Blue ordered a bowl of hot alphabet soup, and made sure that it indeed had the entire English alphabet. Twice he had to call Grover back to get missing letters from the kitchen (which I might add were rather large, about 2 inches high. Most alphabet soups I've eaten have letters about 1/8th that tall.) As he came to the letter "Y"... (best as I can recall):

FAT BLUE: "U, V, W, X, Y... Uh, Waiter!!"

GROVER: (runs up) "Yessir!"

FAT BLUE: "There is no 'Y' in my soup. Oops, I was wrong. There is a 'Y'"

GROVER: (glancing in bowl) "I see the 'Y' there..."

FAT BLUE: "It's the 'Z'. I can't eat this soup without a 'Z'"

My understanding that getting the Y and Z mixed up was an actual mistake on the part of the Muppeteer.

There are other places in the arts where mistakes turned out to be a good thing. Like Billy Joel in "You're Only Human" (S...sss.sometimes that's what it takes) or The Mamas and the Papas in "I saw her again" (I saw her..[oops, started too early].. I saw her again last night). Do we see less of that today because of technology making it too easy to correct things?

I lvoed allt he ones with the blue guy and grover didnt the blue guy also have skits where he could make diffrent sounds come out of his mouth. like a lions roar or a bass violin playing.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Yes,His Name Is Simon The Soundman But He's Way Different Than Fat Blue!

Simon Talked Exactly Liked Fat Blue Because He's Performed By Jerry Nelson.
What's Different About Him Is He Has A Black Mustache,Black Hair,And He Wear's A Hat.

But Fat Blue Has Brown Hair And A Brown Mustache With No Hat. But Both Of Them Still Talk Definately The Same,They're Both Blue,They Both Got Pink Noses,And They Both Wear Black Suits,With A White Jacket Over And A Red Tie.

Well,Hope This Helps And Have A Good Night! Bye Everyone! :wink: :sleep:

Dantecat

Reaction score
Oh Yeah And One More Thing,There Was ALso A Skit From 1971 Where Grover Serves Simon The Soundman But I Just Don't Remember What Happened Definately Like Before.I'm Sure Someone Else Could Answer It For You As Long As They Just Know It! Well,Bye Bye Now! :wink: :sleep: :sleep:

maxdrive

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
Oh Yeah And One More Thing,There Was ALso A Skit From 1971 Where Grover Serves Simon The Soundman But I Just Don't Remember What Happened Definately Like Before.I'm Sure Someone Else Could Answer It For You As Long As They Just Know It! Well,Bye Bye Now! :wink: :sleep: :sleep:
i think i remeber that wasnt it grover working in a pet shop and the soundman came in and would make the sound of the animal he wanted and grover coudltn figure out what he wanted