You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like anime is still in the '80s when it comes to the PG rating? Some have swearing and violence, yet get a PG rating. The anime film Summer Wars comes to mind, it had lots of rude language.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's up with the fries at burger joints? I don't mean like big fast corporations like McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Krystal, etc., I mean burger joint burger joints like Five Guys or We're Cooking and places like that... why exactly is it when you get a side of fries with your burger, they give you like a mountain of fries... isn't that a wee big excessive? Sure, I like fries, but when I go to a burger joint, I'm not exactly wanting fries with a side of burger for a meal.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What's up with the fries at burger joints? I don't mean like big fast corporations like McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Krystal, etc., I mean burger joint burger joints like Five Guys or We're Cooking and places like that... why exactly is it when you get a side of fries with your burger, they give you like a mountain of fries... isn't that a wee big excessive? Sure, I like fries, but when I go to a burger joint, I'm not exactly wanting fries with a side of burger for a meal.
Lol, "fries with a side of burger," very well put.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sometimes, I see programs that have scenes where somebody says something, usually something shocking, another character says "What?!", and the first character asks, "Did I stutter?" What's the deal with that? Just because someone stutters doesn't mean you can't understand what they say, and just because you didn't hear them doesn't mean that you stuttered. I just don't understand the "did I stutter?" line some people give.

The first time I heard a line like that was in Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star. There, Dickie Roberts mentions his encounter with Brendan Frasier, and then says "Note I did not stutter. Brendan Frasier". I don't even get it there (it's been a few years since I last saw that movie, but I think there was a scene where he was corrected about the last name, but the "I didn't stutter" line still doesn't make sense to me).

And speaking of Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star, what's the deal with him thinking his career will jumpstart again if he lands a part in a Rob Reiner movie? I know Reiner's directed some hits, When Harry Met Sally being the only one I know of off-hand, but is Rob Reiner really that big of a director? I don't think of him, say, having Spielberg-level successes. Of course they probably wanted a director with acting experience (though I think Ron Howard would have been a much better choice, depending on if he would have done the movie). Early on in the film somebody mentions that movie would be to anyone's career what Pulp Fiction was to John Travolta's, but what makes them so sure? When Dickie first meets with Rob his secretary mentions that everyone wants to see the script but can't (and she gets Dickie's hopes up about letting him have an early copy due to how he treated her earlier), and yet Dickie ends up getting to look at a copy later in the film (and keep in mind Rob Reiner didn't think he'd be right for the part).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's the deal with Mila Kunis suddenly becoming more popular in the last few years? She's a good actress, she's likable, and she's hot (contributing to some of the likability factor), but it's weird that she's suddenly started having major roles in movies so many years after That '70s Show ended. And yet while that show was on the air she didn't seem to have much else going for her (besides being the voice of Meg Griffin).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate when that happens.

Granted, she's been kind of pulled back a little recently, but it's like when a certain celebrity appears in something that's really, really successful, all of the sudden, they're EVERYWHERE, in EVERY new movie that comes out, and/or making guest appearances on EVERY popular show on TV, popping up randomly in any commercial you may see, being featured on all kinds of webseries and podcasts, etc.

Mila DOES have a bit going for her, I agree, and like I said, she hasn't really been seen too much within the last year or so, but for a while there, she was EVERYWHERE, and she had become quite overrated. Another problem though is that there will be a little lull in which we actually don't see them for a little while, then all of the sudden, boom, they start being shoved in our faces all the time all over again... and as I said, Mila's not the only one: Steve Carell, Neil Patrick Harris, Lea Michele, Jane Lynch (and I actually used to like her), Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, Joel McHale, and Jennifer Lawrence is now actually complaining about it happening to her, saying all the fame and attention she's getting is taking a toll on her and she's on the verge of having a mental breakdown.

I still agree that Mila's a pretty good actress, likeable, and hot, so she has that going for her, but Steve Carell's acting is ALWAYS so stiff and wooden, NPH's schtick of "Look at me, I'm a big celebrity, but I try not to let my ego get the better of me because I'm a big celebrity" got really old really fast, Lea Michele is kind of a narcissist, Jane Lynch has the same problem as NPH, Rachel McAdams kind of does the same kind of movies over and over again like Jennifer Aniston does, Amanda Seyfried can't seem to do one movie without taking her clothes off for the camera, Joel McHale is just annoying, and I really don't see the appeal of Jennifer Lawrence, so I honestly don't know what it is about certain celebs who are always given the spotlight like that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I see James Caan is doing TV work now, which, once again, brings to mind how there was once upon a time when movie stars were considered "too big", "too important", and "too expensive" to even remotely think about doing TV work.

Admittedly, his upcoming show DOES look interesting, and looks like it would be good, but at the same time, it also looks like a rehash of like THE BAD NEWS BEARS, THE SANDLOT, and such, not to mention I'm sure it's going to have all the same filth that pollutes all shows on TV today, so not only am I not even going to bother giving it a chance, I give it one season before it's canceled.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That show looks raggafraggin' awful, and I hope it gets cancelled the second the first episode starts. I am really starting to hate this trend of TV shows where someone has to either move back in with their cantankerous parents or has to take care of them. They just had a show exactly like this one called Family Tools. They shoved it all the way at the end of the TV season and it got cancelled very quick. And frankly, the father was much funnier. After all, he was J. Jonah Jameson in the original Spider-Man films (and Ultimate Spider-Man...and apparently the new Hulk series).

And the worst part is, they've demoted Suburgatory to a freaking mid-season replacement after the ending the dang season on a freaking major cliffhanger just to make room for this, horrible, horrible show.

Seriously... if I want a rehash of the loser group of underdogs, I'll watch Bolts n' Blip. At least that's a pretty good series.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TV's ALWAYS gone through trends like that, when one new show comes out with a unique premise that manages to be successful, all the other networks scramble to copy it to try and capitalize on its success and bring in viewers for their own shows. The 60s brought us the likes of THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, BEWITCHED, and I DREAM OF JEANNIE, because super-natural sitcoms had become the big trend (NBC specifically had Sidney Sheldon create JEANNIE to rip off ABC's BEWITCHED).

The 70s were all about cutting-edge, so we had ALL IN THE FAMILY, SANFORD AND SON, M*A*S*H, THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, MAUDE, THE JEFFERSONS, and such.

More recently, GLEE was such a hit that all of the sudden, musical series were a dime a dozen: SMASH, THE WEDDING BAND, NASHVILLE, PITCH PERFECT (okay, the latter is a movie, but it's clearly a rip off of GLEE).

Years from now, TV will still make carbon copies of one another, it's all part of the cycle.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
ABC's fall comedy lineup looks like a bunch of duds. The baseball show looks like something that won't be able to sustain its premise for a long time, and their retro-80s sitcom The Goldbergs and woman marries man with lots of exes sitcom Trophy Wife seem really unoriginal. I don't know you could look at those shows as good after you air The Middle, which actually has characters that act like human beings and plots that don't insult the audience.