You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Then there's the story of what almost happened to Toy Story 2. Someone entered a weird value code that almost destroyed the movie, but someone had a work copy on a home computer. Unless that story wasn't well known at the time (and I doubt it wasn't in the animation industry), it's peculiar that they didn't have a back up somewhere outsode of the studio.
Apparently, the Toy Story 2 backups that they had at the studio were very bad, for some reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Especially considering it's one of the most beloved children's movies of all time. I could understand if it was some brainless piece of garbage like that Gnomeo and Juliet movie. But Toy Story 2? No backup? really?
I forget the specifics, but everything was totally screwed up except for that outside workprint. It's somewhere on youtube, but I'm too lazy to look it up, but one of the animators said that they were watching a pretty decently complete version of the film, and it was just vanishing before their eyes. Characters and objects just started disappearing.

It sounds funny as heck to an outsider, but I'm sure anyone who worked on the film still has PTSD about that to this day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's somewhere on youtube, but I'm too lazy to look it up, but one of the animators said that they were watching a pretty decently complete version of the film, and it was just vanishing before their eyes. Characters and objects just started disappearing.

It sounds funny as heck to an outsider, but I'm sure anyone who worked on the film still has PTSD about that to this day.
I've definitely had moments like that on my computer. Not as hard core but I can totally understand the hopeless panic you would feel, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. Alpha and Omega and Gnomeo and Juliet having unironic fan bases.

Of course, when I say something negative about Cloudy with a Change of Meatballs movies, it's treated like blasphemy.

Anyway... but there's a lot of terrible animated movies in the 90's that some have a nostalgic connection to. Like that Glob awful Tom and Jerry movie. It has a lot of ironic followers that only like it because it sucks, but there are those who genuinely like Turner's pathetic attempt to make a Rescuers movie. We didn't even get a third legitimate Rescuers film.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't remember that Tom & Jerry movie even coming out, I learned about it from Nostalgia Critic, lol. I do wish they'd had more faith in Tom and Jerry not talking, but if they absolutely had to do it, I don't mind too much. I just didn't like that Jerry had a little kid voice. I felt like they both should have had that sort of New York-esque Tom was going for, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like that Glob awful Tom and Jerry movie. It has a lot of ironic followers that only like it because it sucks, but there are those who genuinely like Turner's pathetic attempt to make a Rescuers movie. We didn't even get a third legitimate Rescuers film.
I like TOM AND JERRY: THE MOVIE, but that's probably because I saw it as a little kid, and at that time and age, it didn't even compute with me that this movie was blasphemy against the original cartoons (of which I also saw) - it just simply entertained me. That's my only excuse.

As for a third Rescuers movie, we WERE going to get that, but unfortunately, the deaths of both Eva Gabor and John Candy prevented that from happening.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like the Tom and Jerry: The Movie commercials barely showed any scenes with them talking. I remember once seeing a commercial with a clip from the "Friends to the End" song and thought, "Is Tom talking in that scene?", but still didn't think much about it until I finally saw the movie. One of my friends rented it, and told me that they talked before I watched it, leading me to think, "Oh, so that was Tom talking in that commercial!"

And am I the only one who thinks the "Friends to the End" song sounds very similar to "Together Again" from The Muppets Take Manhattan?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't remember that Tom & Jerry movie even coming out, I learned about it from Nostalgia Critic, lol. I do wish they'd had more faith in Tom and Jerry not talking, but if they absolutely had to do it, I don't mind too much. I just didn't like that Jerry had a little kid voice. I felt like they both should have had that sort of New York-esque Tom was going for, lol.
I have problems in general when Tom and Jerry are friends with no conflict. Like that horrible Grape Ape/Mumbley/Tom And Jerry show. Well, the Mumbley cartoons are alright, any way... but those Tom and Jerry cartoons are the worst. The Filmation and Gene Dietch ones look at them and go "At least we're so much better than that!" There are older cartoons where they had some sort of frenemies thing going on. Then the one or two when they were dumped by women and realize they have much more in common than they think... but the Action for Children's Television watchdogs ruined cartoons at the time, and Tom and Jerry was no exception... though Elmo and the Ghost Cat (I forget the name) from Funky Phantom beat the crap out of each other. Where's the excuse there?

Errr... where was I? Ah yes. I saw the movie on television years and years ago. Even when the previews came out decades ago I knew something was wrong. And they're barely in their own generic-butt movie. I haven't really seen the recent crop of DTV Tom and Jerry movies (except the Nutcracker one, which was meh), but they have to be better... Nutcracker was, at least. Even in the better ones, Tom and Jerry just do not work in a 90 minute contained storyline (if that one I saw was any indication). They're much better suited for a 7 minute short.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
What's the deal with the Nintendo 2DS? Don't we have enough Nintendo DS redesigns? I mean, look at it:

P4RGaming (which is video game news parody site, similar to The Onion) made a crack about how it was made because consumers couldn't understand that the 3DS is the new DS because it's not called Nintendo DS 2.

Nintendo says its meant for children, hence the reason why it's smaller and lacks the stereoscopic 3D. Kids can just turn the 3D off while they play. And what's up with it not being able to fold? They shouldn't be trying to go for the "tablet" look because it makes the DS look downright ridiculous. Now it won't be able to fit in anyone's pocket.

I find this a highly unnecessary move by Nintendo. They should be more focused on getting out games for the Wii U instead of making more Wii and DS redesigns that we don't need.

mr3urious

Reaction score
You left out the fact that it's also at a lower price, and the Wii U got a price cut, too. Both should help sell the systems even more, especially as the Xbox One and PS4 are coming out, making them look cheaper by comparison.