You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am realizing nowadays other countries get to enjoy our shows even more than we do! I mean it's great, at least we have the Internet and we can share things. But it's annoying how flavor of the moment American can be.
Not really my point. The fact that other countries have more of our own stuff than us (at least back then) is just...well... weird. Though, to be fair DIC was a French company to begin with... the term "American cartoon" is kinda taken lightly since (in the case of Early DIC shows) they were animated in Japan by a French company, the music was made by an Israeli, and it was voiced in Canada...

Still sucks we never got any cartoon show soundtracks until, maybe the 90's... even then they were rare. Just Animaniacs and a couple others.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the deal with re-releasing season sets of a TV show on DVD years after it was already released, and making the re-released sets as basic and bare-bones as possible? Really, what's the deal with that? Why would anyone want to rebuy seasons they already have for nothing?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So for years I've known that in the second episode of Saturday Night Live, aside from Chevy Chase doing the cold open and Weekend Update, the cast only appeared once, for about 30 seconds. But then I saw that episode recently, and there are a few times when the cast COULD have appeared.... So what's the deal with them not?

The episode has two commercials. And instead of including anybody in the cast, they include some people I don't recognize (and don't say that the cast wasn't supposed to be in the commercials, because Chevy was in a commercial in the first episode). And the Weekend Update has a bit with Paul Simon playing basketball against a champ, pretty much being its own stand-alone segment.... I can see the opponent needing to be somebody who looks like a real basketball player as opposed to a cast member, but then Paul was interviewed by somebody who wasn't played by any cast member. What's up with that???

I've read that the second episode was so different because the writers were apparently exhausted from the first episode. It's a wonder the show lasted with more normal episodes since. Though it's hard to believe that ALL of the writers would feel that way, since there are multiple writers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What's the deal with re-releasing season sets of a TV show on DVD years after it was already released, and making the re-released sets as basic and bare-bones as possible? Really, what's the deal with that? Why would anyone want to rebuy seasons they already have for nothing?

They're for people who didn't buy them the first time and they have since gone out of print. Usually much much cheaper as well. Mill Creek is going to rerelease Dilbert for only 10 bucks vs. Sony's original 60 dollar price tag.

snichols1973

Reaction score
While we all have our favorite nostalgic sitcoms, etc. viewers might want to watch a certain season of some older series, while some might find the background commentary and special features interesting, others might feel that the storylines are rather self-explanatory, and the audio commentary might seem redundant.

Some sets, such as the "public domain" Three Stooges' DVDs (with Disorder in the Court, Sing a Song of Six Pants, Brideless Groom, Malice in the Palace, and assorted cartoons and live-action quickie color scenes featuring Moe, Larry, and "Curly Joe" DeRita) are usually released by smaller, generic companies as an assortment of select episodes, and shows such as The Andy Griffith Show, Dragnet (1953-1957), You Bet Your Life, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, sticoms from the 1960's, 1970's, etc., (some of which are also partly distributed by public domain,) would feature a select number of episodes from the show's overall history, and if they were to be released by complete season, some probably might find the show more enjoyable without the audio commentaries and other bonus features for a retro-nostalgic feeling, reminiscent of the time when home entertainment technology was rather basic: a UHF & VHF channel dial knob TV with rabbit ears, no confusing multi-button remote controls, no VCRs or DVD players to program and/or configure, etc, although I find the closed captioning feature useful, especially when the dialogue seems a little incomprehensible on shows whose sound systems were from the earlier years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh! And also, sometimes they rerelease TV shows, they have the original broadcast prints vs. the syndicated ones. At the risk of sounding like I'm giving unpaid endorsements to Mill Creek, they're rereleasing The Cosby Show as well, with an uncut season 1 and a Married with Children with the original theme song intact.

Personally, I want someone to rerelease the freaking animated Transformers movie because the special edition was only out for like less than a year, and I never managed to grab it in that time frame. Barebones or not. I mean, it's the franchise's anniversary coming up and a new Bay film... it's the perfect time to get this back out there.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Personally, I want someone to rerelease the freaking animated Transformers movie because the special edition was only out for like less than a year, and I never managed to grab it in that time frame. Barebones or not. I mean, it's the franchise's anniversary coming up and a new Bay film... it's the perfect time to get this back out there.

I managed to find a 2-disc Special 20th Anniversary DVD edition of Transfomers: The Animated Movie at a yard sale a few years ago for about $5, and the DVD's were in good condition (which is rather extraordinary for a garage/yard sale); when I go to Amazon to order a DVD, I usually go bargain hunting by checking the Used section to see if there are any affordable DVD's in good condition, since the brand new ones tend to be more expensive and the Blu-Ray version is currently rare; last time I checked, there was only 1 Blu-Ray version of Transformers: The Animated Movie in stock priced at $69.99 plus shipping and handling, etc., and I'm not going to spend $69.99 for a Blu-Ray, no matter how rare or collectible it is.....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Why are there so many different songs (not performances or arrangements) titled "Together Again"? There's:
  • The song from The Muppets Take Manhattan
  • The song from Here Comes Garfield
  • The country song sung by a number of different artists, including Buck Owens, Vince Gill, Ray Charles, and Emma Thompson (I don't know who originated the song)
  • An instrumental jazz tune by Dave Koz
  • A song from Mike Candys

Drtooth

Reaction score
I managed to find a 2-disc Special 20th Anniversary DVD edition of Transfomers: The Animated Movie at a yard sale a few years ago for about $5, and the DVD's were in good condition (which is rather extraordinary for a garage/yard sale); when I go to Amazon to order a DVD, I usually go bargain hunting by checking the Used section to see if there are any affordable DVD's in good condition, since the brand new ones tend to be more expensive and the Blu-Ray version is currently rare; last time I checked, there was only 1 Blu-Ray version of Transformers: The Animated Movie in stock priced at $69.99 plus shipping and handling, etc., and I'm not going to spend $69.99 for a Blu-Ray, no matter how rare or collectible it is.....
Exactly why they need to rerelease it. I don't have Blu, but considering all the stuff that's released for that, it seems only logical. Even the standard version goes for a fortune, used or not. You were really really lucky to find that at a Yard Sale. Shout really doesn't want to release it, saying Sony did a better job with it... but Sony only had it in print for a short amount of time.