1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

You know it be great to see Mel Brooks direct and write a Muppet Movie...

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Movies205, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

He one of my favorite director and writer but I don't know if he be right for the muppets... I still think it be great to see it lol

2. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

Well it's true he maintains a close relationship wit the Muppets, but when you really think about it, there's a huge difference between what is canon between Mel Brooks movies and what's canon in a Muppet movie, there are just some things he'd meddle in that aren't to be meddled. Probably why he hasn't done it yet: not enough creative freedom.

3. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

4. anathema

anathema Active Member

That, and he hasn't made a decent film in a very long time!

5. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

I think Robin Hood, Spaceballs, and Dracula Dead and loving it were good

"History of the World Part2- Hitler on Ice, Jews in Space" LMAO!

6. anathema

anathema Active Member

Mmm...Robin Hood had some good ideas, as did Spaceballs, but I didn't find either film terribly satisfying - there were too few jokes, and a lot of them just didn't seem very funny to me. I've not seen Dracula - it got such poor reviews I decided not to bother.

On the other hand, a lot of his earlier stuff is great! Blazing Saddles was very very funny, and The Producers scores highly for sheer bad taste! For me, that's his best movie. :)

7. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

As President of the U of Minnesota's Mel Brooks club I have to voice my opinion on this.

I agree - Mel's brand of humor, specifically Blazing Saddles and The Producers is great, however you would not be able to make a movie like that today. People would think it's insensitive and get all offended. I also agree that the humor Mel does isn't exactly something that would work coming out of Fozzie's mouth, you know? Just a little too risque.

While I think it would be great to see them come together (again), Mel is a talented comic director, he could turn Schindler's List into a funny funny movie, but he gets kind of wild and he'd need to be a little censored, which would take the wind out of his sails... so I don't think we'll see it any time soon, sadly.

Jeremy

8. anathema

anathema Active Member

***** political correctness! :)

9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I really dont want to see the Muppets go down another parody sendoff idea for a whole movie.

As Ive stated, I envision something epic. I'd like a return to a Manhattan setting possibly, with 'locations' all over the world(even if they arent really filmed all over the world) I see a desert scene, etc.

Directors I think would be good for a new edgy epic film would be: Spike Jonze, Steven Soderbergh, David Fincher, and maybe a few others. I could even see Michael Mann or Spike Lee.

But no way would I want a return to 70's parody film or whatever.

10. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

BEaker I think you label Mel Brooks unfairly just the way people label kevin smith...

11. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

No Spike Lee - please. His movies are WAY too preachy, and you wouldn't be able to get any Muppet zaniness into the film at all, he'd be too concentrated on attempting to solve racism by having a struggle between races like in Do the Right Thing. The personalities of Henson and Lee really really clash.

Not all of Mel's films are parodies of genres. True, a lot of them are, but The Producers is not and that was one of his best movies.

I would like to see a Muppet History of the World, though... that'd be great!

And I agree - **** political correctness! It's a joke - get over it.

Jeremy

12. anathema

anathema Active Member

The problem with political jokes being that they often get elected...

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

13. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

hehehe.... nice one.

Jeremy

14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I want muppet movies NOT based on books (MCC and MTI) because that is when the Muppets are at their best...being themselves.

I wonder what would happen if Mel Brooks wrote the original script and then turned it over to the Muppet writers to "Muppet-ize" it?

Could work.

15. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Mel Brooks is a great writer and I think the muppets could really help end his carreer on a high note...

16. Fozzie Bear

Somehow, that didn't sound to favorable for the old coot...

17. anathema

anathema Active Member

I was thinking something similar, but didn't want to be the first to say so!

*sniggers*

:D

18. Fozzie Bear

Just like me, tho; typing before I think!! :rolleyes:

19. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

well I mean I like Dracula Dead and loving it but many people didn't and I wish Mel Brooks goes out big, with a great movie that everyone loves... he deserves it since he made some of the great movies of the 20th century...

20. Fozzie Bear

"Goes out" like retires or dies? I'd just like for him to get continual hits (for a change). Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are, for me, funny films.