Your Fave And Least Fave Movies Of 2011?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Who wanted to see The Beaver? Who was that for? I mean, if Mel Gibson really wanted to suck up to his audience and be all apologetic, they shoulda just made another Lethal Weapon. Gibson was kicked out of Hangover 2 by all involved. I'm starting to think the mere mention of him being in that film was a publicity stunt.

Even if Mel Gibson wasn't in it, it was still a stupid plot for a film.
I was lured in by the puppet aspect of the film - I mean, come on, before the new Muppet movie came out, when was the last time you saw a movie where a puppet was a prominent element in the movie? That said, the movie itself was a reign of chaos for everyone involved.

In retrospect, I wish I saw Cars 2 in 3-D... I was hungry and wanted something after the movie let out, and I wouldn't have enough for both, so I saw it 2-D. That really seems to be THE movie to see in 3-D.
I personally felt it added nothing to the film. But it's really all subjective. At least the 3D wasn't useless the way it way in Puss in Boots.

beaker

Reaction score
Dr Tooth, it sounds like most the movies you saw last year were cgi kids movies? I thought you hate most of those? :smile: It takes a lot to make me see those.

Oh I shoulda added Moneyball to the list...that was surprisingly good, even tho I cant stand sports.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Dr Tooth, it sounds like most the movies you saw last year were cgi kids movies? I thought you hate most of those? :smile: It takes a lot to make me see those.
For me personally, (can't speak for Dr Tooth), I only see animated movies, at least computer-animated ones, if they do really well critically, or if they are anticipated to be big hits (one of the reasons I went to see Cars 2). This year has been good for CGI kids movies, the only ones I didn't bother with are Gnomeo and Juliet, Happy Feet Two (though I'd love to see the CG Sylvester and Tweety short that was with it in theaters - but not enough to actually sit through the movie after it), Mars Needs Moms and Hoodwinked Two. I think I made the right call there. (note I'm not counting Hop or The Smurfs as animated movies, but know I didn't see them either)

Moneyball I didn't have time to see. I'm getting from the library as soon it comes out hopefully.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It will be a cold, cold day before I recognize Gnomeo and Juliette. Hoodwinked 2 I saw basically in support of Corey Edwards, as I feel sorry for what Weinstine did to him. They completely ruined the film by removing Corey as the director, hiring script doctors, and just bungling the release, delaying it over a year for no reason (possibly to add more "edgy" at the moment jokes in ADR).

To tell you the seriousness of what happened to the film, someone posted a very negative review on his blog... and Corey agreed completely. Then he went on to point out everything they screwed up with the film... for example, the sassy back talking African American Stereotype Ogre wasn't even supposed to talk, some things were supposed to be revealed at the end... some scenes were changed to be more banal... I forget the rest, but Corey was quite livid with what they did to his movie. I found most of it enjoyable, but a lot of the changes stuck out like a sore thumb... a completely forced ADR line of "Rachel Ray is the Devil" for example.

I wish he'd come over here and explain how frustrated he was with the movie.

Mars needs Moms was pointless... I think TinTin and Steven Speilberg did a much better job with the MoCap... the characters didn't look half as corpselike as Zemeckis's stuff... Plus, I HATE when they take a kid's picture book and stretch it out to a 90 minute movie. I mean, what's it say that Shrek was one of the GOOD ones?

beaker

Reaction score
I think that's why when the year ends in any given year, I realize the films that really dazzled me often were films with no cgi at all. While I absolutely love and in awe of films like The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, Tron Legacy, Scott Pilgrim, etc...I also love movies that dont rely on any computer graphics. I just am a fan of smart writing...thats why even tho a Bugs Life looked way better, I preferred Antz at the time. (Im also a huge Woody Allen fan) I used to say I loved every Pixar film...but more and more Im finding it hard to be all too thrilled about their final product. I hated Cars, had no interest in seeing Cars 2, Toy Story 3 left me depressed, I probably wont see Brave...I absolutely loved Up and Ratatouie as I just loved the theme and writing.

I feel physically nauseated when I see trailers for most cgi kids/family or hybrid(g force, chipmunks, etc) films. I wish theyd come out with more newer 2d like curious george or princess and the frog. 2d still looks amazing, as glimpsed with the new Evangelion anime theatrical film and the new theatrical Trigun movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel physically nauseated when I see trailers for most cgi kids/family or hybrid(g force, chipmunks, etc) films. I wish theyd come out with more newer 2d like curious george or princess and the frog. 2d still looks amazing, as glimpsed with the new Evangelion anime theatrical film and the new theatrical Trigun movie.
I always regretted not being able to see Curious George in theaters. I didn't even see the first movie the whole way through yet, and only saw bits and pieces when PBS aired it. I really wish more 2-D animated features would pop up. I'm always willing to see that now. Not that I don't like CGI, but it's like these third and fourth party nobodies that make meh products drown out the quality of Pixar and Dreamworks (their films have gotten much better lately), and make everything look like noise. I'm intensely glad I saw Winnie the Pooh in theaters. The animation was beautiful, and the short cartoon about the Loch Ness creature was a masterpiece.

beaker

Reaction score
I always regretted not being able to see Curious George in theaters. I didn't even see the first movie the whole way through yet, and only saw bits and pieces when PBS aired it. I really wish more 2-D animated features would pop up. I'm always willing to see that now. Not that I don't like CGI, but it's like these third and fourth party nobodies that make meh products drown out the quality of Pixar and Dreamworks (their films have gotten much better lately), and make everything look like noise. I'm intensely glad I saw Winnie the Pooh in theaters. The animation was beautiful, and the short cartoon about the Loch Ness creature was a masterpiece.
I actually hated the new Winnie the Pooh. I tend to prefer "modern" pooh more. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 1989 through the 2000's films like Huffalumps movie. For only 60 minutes, it was trying way too hard to be like the old 60's cartoon. I felt the endless fourth wall breaking with the letters was distracting...and I liked it more when the Pooh characters arent just stuffed toys in Christopher's imagination. Plus the plot device they used(Huny and Eeyore's missing tail...oh gee, we havent seen that a zillion times) was banal.

I think some 2d failed, like Treasure Planet and Titan AE. But I think so much of it...from Heavy Metal to Pinnochio Emperor of the Night is amazing. I even love Ralph Bakashi. Im glad Disney has given such a push to Miyazaki, even if he's no longer making his best work. I feel Howl's Moving Castle was his last truly amazing work. While the North American anime market completely collapsed, Japan is still turning out breathtakingly visionary looking 2d animation, like the recent Macross Frontier the false diva film.

I think you're way too kind with modern cgi/hybrid kiddy films. I honestly cannot even barely make it through the trailers to these things, and honestly feel I'd enjoy sitting through a braindead Ryan Reynolds rom com than any of this stuff. Though I hear Tintin and Kung Fu Panda was good, way too many look baddddd. Even Lorax, the color scheme alone makes me uninterested. When a movie has an off putting color scheme like Speed Racer(or the Shrek series pastel look) it's a big turnoff. I can't stand Dreamworks, save for maybe the one offs(like MvA) and then Madagascar.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'll do my least favorite first.
1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
2: Thor & The Smurfs
3: Pirates of the Carribean: At Strangers Tides
4:Johnny English Reborn
5:Happy Feet 2
6: Rio
7: Kung Fu Panda 2
8: Green Lantern
9: Zookeeper

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Now for my favorites!

1: The Muppets
2: Super 8 & Captain America
3: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
4: Moneyball
5: Crazy Stupid Love
6: Rango
7: Limitless
8: TinTin

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually hated the new Winnie the Pooh. I tend to prefer "modern" pooh more. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 1989 through the 2000's films like Huffalumps movie. For only 60 minutes, it was trying way too hard to be like the old 60's cartoon. I felt the endless fourth wall breaking with the letters was distracting...and I liked it more when the Pooh characters arent just stuffed toys in Christopher's imagination. Plus the plot device they used(Huny and Eeyore's missing tail...oh gee, we havent seen that a zillion times) was banal.
I think the problem right there is that was their every intention. They wanted to bring back the classic Pooh, and I don't have a problem with that considering what the franchise became just before that. that whole super hero detective show/old lady sweaters fiasco. Considering that, I think they did what they set out to do, but tehy just took too many old style jokes from those specials when the newer movies and especially the animated series didn't need or even vastly explore those things. Still, I'm waiting for a grand Mickey and Co relaunch that takes them far FAR away from that lame Mickey's Clubhouse program. I wanna see Donald have temper tantrums again.

Still, I feel it should have done better and relaunched classic, non-super hero, always with Christopher Robin Pooh. I HATE the CGI Dora type shows that they keep foisting on classic Disney characters. Stick to ripping off Bob the Builder and "creating" "new" lame Dora type programs. Leave Goofy out of it.

I think you're way too kind with modern cgi/hybrid kiddy films. I honestly cannot even barely make it through the trailers to these things, and honestly feel I'd enjoy sitting through a braindead Ryan Reynolds rom com than any of this stuff. Though I hear Tintin and Kung Fu Panda was good, way too many look baddddd. Even Lorax, the color scheme alone makes me uninterested. When a movie has an off putting color scheme like Speed Racer(or the Shrek series pastel look) it's a big turnoff. I can't stand Dreamworks, save for maybe the one offs(like MvA) and then Madagascar.
I have absolutely no interest in seeing Lorax, even with Danny Devito (and I'm a huge Danny Devito fan here). I gave that Horton movie a go, and felt it was okay, I guess... and that was the GOOD Seuss movie. There's too much lame CGI start ups and third/fourth parties out there, and I'm sick of them polluting theaters with talking Gnomes, Flys and Chimps going into outer space, disastrous slaughterings of kids books, and of course, stolen idea after stolen idea. Sony's pretty much as bad as the Brazillian studios that come up with Ratatoing and Littlest Panda to me. Though I do want to see that stop motion pirate movie Aardman partnered up on them for.

Still, Brave's pretty much the only CGI animated movie I'm looking forward to next year. Maybe Wreck it Ralph for the potential of classic gaming inside jokes... I don't know if I want to bother with Madagascar 3... but Lorax doesn't excite me in the least.