Your Fave And Least Fave Movies Of 2011?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I'm embarassed that my movie viewing was rather limited - but I loved The Muppets (duh) and I really, really loved Bridesmaids. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I saw Tintin and Young Adult this week, both were just ok in my book.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
My faves/least faves of 2011 (and some from around late 2010). Seen these either on internet, on DVD, or on a plane --- all of which are far better than going to a theater:

The favorites:
*The Muppets (I finally saw it! YES!)
*Hangover Part II
*Megamind
*Toy Story 3

The not-so-favorites:
*The new Planet of the Apes - pretty boring for me
*Dinner for Schmucks
*Cowboys vs. Aliens

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of the new Planet of the Apes movie because it's so well done... I mean, the magic of the old movies were those old school masks and how it made everything slightly campy.

beaker

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of the new Planet of the Apes movie because it's so well done... I mean, the magic of the old movies were those old school masks and how it made everything slightly campy.
They still look like cgi apes to me. I thought cgi would have gotten better by 2011. This movie looks like it coulda come out in 2002.

beaker

Reaction score
I think the problem right there is that was their every intention. They wanted to bring back the classic Pooh, and I don't have a problem with that considering what the franchise became just before that. that whole super hero detective show/old lady sweaters fiasco. Considering that, I think they did what they set out to do, but tehy just took too many old style jokes from those specials when the newer movies and especially the animated series didn't need or even vastly explore those things. Still, I'm waiting for a grand Mickey and Co relaunch that takes them far FAR away from that lame Mickey's Clubhouse program. I wanna see Donald have temper tantrums again.

Still, I feel it should have done better and relaunched classic, non-super hero, always with Christopher Robin Pooh. I HATE the CGI Dora type shows that they keep foisting on classic Disney characters. Stick to ripping off Bob the Builder and "creating" "new" lame Dora type programs. Leave Goofy out of it.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing Lorax, even with Danny Devito (and I'm a huge Danny Devito fan here). I gave that Horton movie a go, and felt it was okay, I guess... and that was the GOOD Seuss movie. There's too much lame CGI start ups and third/fourth parties out there, and I'm sick of them polluting theaters with talking Gnomes, Flys and Chimps going into outer space, disastrous slaughterings of kids books, and of course, stolen idea after stolen idea. Sony's pretty much as bad as the Brazillian studios that come up with Ratatoing and Littlest Panda to me. Though I do want to see that stop motion pirate movie Aardman partnered up on them for.

Still, Brave's pretty much the only CGI animated movie I'm looking forward to next year. Maybe Wreck it Ralph for the potential of classic gaming inside jokes... I don't know if I want to bother with Madagascar 3... but Lorax doesn't excite me in the least.
Oh goodness, I saw a clip of that cgi Pooh show...ouch. And that Mickey cgi film...I literally just started cgi work for the first time in my life a few months ago(I royally suck btw) and my stuff looks way better than that garbage. I mean Im looking back at a cgi compilation vhs I got in 1988 and it all looks better than that.
I feel bad for kids...tv cgi these days is like Rolly Polly bad. Thankfully as a teen we just had Reboot and Beast Wars, and the rest was Foxkids/Nick traditional cel.

I wish Imagi hadnt gone barrel up. I really feel TMNT was one of the best films period of 2007, one of the best cgi films period and the second best TMNT film under the original. In fact Id say, Im ok with the series(in my mind) ending with that film. In retrospect the Forever telefilm was kind of handled weird, and I refuse to even acknowledge TMNT under Nick.

But yeah Hoodwinked, Hapilly N'Ever After, Open Season, Barnyard, Gnomeo, Planet 51, Mars Needs Moms, Everyone sHeroes, and most Dreamworks/Sony/Fox animation....Ive zero interest in that.

In fact the ONLY cgi films I own and love are:

Up, Monsters vs Aliens, Monsters Inc, Rango, Chicken Little, Madagascar 2, Antz, Ratattouie, TMNT, The Incredibles, Final Fantasy TSW, Final Fantasy Advent Children, Beowulf, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, and Robots. I honestly cant think of any outside of those I can stand. Tho I never did see Flushed Away, and I generally like Aardman stuff.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's something that original remake utterly failed to understand. That and the fact that you need decent writing, lol.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I make it a point to avoid movies I know I wont like, so I usually am very successful at seeing movies I know I'll like. This year was no exception.

Movies I really liked (in order):
  1. The Muppets
  2. 50/50
  3. Bridesmaids
  4. Beginners
  5. Midnight in Paris
  6. Blue Valentine (which I know came out in 2010, but I saw it this year in theaters so I'm counting it)
  7. Crazy Stupid Love
  8. Tintin
  9. Deathly Hallows Part II
  10. War Horse
  11. Sherlock Holmes 2
  12. Winnie the Pooh
  13. The Help
  14. Horrible Bosses
Movies I didn't like: Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Cedar Rapids, Hangover II

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh goodness, I saw a clip of that cgi Pooh show...ouch. And that Mickey cgi film...I literally just started cgi work for the first time in my life a few months ago(I royally suck btw) and my stuff looks way better than that garbage. I mean Im looking back at a cgi compilation vhs I got in 1988 and it all looks better than that.
I feel bad for kids...tv cgi these days is like Rolly Polly bad. Thankfully as a teen we just had Reboot and Beast Wars, and the rest was Foxkids/Nick traditional cel.
Reboot was an amazing show. The uncanny valley kept me away from it when it was on ABC, and I missed out on some GREAT writing. of course, I learned to appreciate certain kinds of action programming the older I got.

CGI never really made a big splash as far as kid's programming went. Sure, it's that cheap thing that they use to make cheap preschool programming, but other than, I dunno... Jimmy Neutron, I don't think many CGI cartoon shows really managed to take off. Reboot is a very cult thing. It's more about Flash like programs and stiff animation.

I wish Imagi hadnt gone barrel up. I really feel TMNT was one of the best films period of 2007, one of the best cgi films period and the second best TMNT film under the original. In fact Id say, Im ok with the series(in my mind) ending with that film. In retrospect the Forever telefilm was kind of handled weird, and I refuse to even acknowledge TMNT under Nick.
There were too many internal problems with Imagi to keep it going. They were all ready to make a second TMNT movie, but from what I heard the direction was going to be much different and Mirage rejected the script. Then they got some ex-Dreamworks guy (I swear any problems with Astroboy were all his), and then half of everyone got fired, and things only got worse. I'm quite disappointed Gatchaman never happened, but I kinda figured it wouldn't. Still, I give them the credit for using the original Japanese version as their source. I HATE HATE HATE the Battle of the Planets dub.

as for Nick TMNT... I'd say I'm reserving judgement, but other than a couple voice actors, I know nothing of the project. Can't find info anywhere, but it doesn't matter. As long as we still have the comic book, the one thing I was truely worried about, I'll survive.

beaker

Reaction score
I make it a point to avoid movies I know I wont like, so I usually am very successful at seeing movies I know I'll like. This year was no exception.

Movies I really liked (in order):
  1. The Muppets
  2. 50/50
  3. Bridesmaids
  4. Beginners
  5. Midnight in Paris
  6. Blue Valentine (which I know came out in 2010, but I saw it this year in theaters so I'm counting it)
  7. Crazy Stupid Love
  8. Tintin
  9. Deathly Hallows Part II
  10. War Horse
  11. Sherlock Holmes 2
  12. Winnie the Pooh
  13. The Help
  14. Horrible Bosses
Movies I didn't like: Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Cedar Rapids, Hangover II
Aww poo:frown: I consider Cedar Rapids one of the best comedies Ive ever seen. I cant stand the Hangover tho, and POTC 4 succccked. I was surprised by Horrible Bosses! And I loved Crazy Stupid Love. AND someone else who has Midnight in Paris and Beginners in their top five. AMAAAAAZING films. I need to see Tintin soon.

Did The Help capture the 60's accurately? It looked too modern to look like an authentic time piece. Also...death hallows 2? I also need to see 50/50...Im a big levitt fan

beaker

Reaction score
Reboot was an amazing show. The uncanny valley kept me away from it when it was on ABC, and I missed out on some GREAT writing. of course, I learned to appreciate certain kinds of action programming the older I got.

CGI never really made a big splash as far as kid's programming went. Sure, it's that cheap thing that they use to make cheap preschool programming, but other than, I dunno... Jimmy Neutron, I don't think many CGI cartoon shows really managed to take off. Reboot is a very cult thing. It's more about Flash like programs and stiff animation.

There were too many internal problems with Imagi to keep it going. They were all ready to make a second TMNT movie, but from what I heard the direction was going to be much different and Mirage rejected the script. Then they got some ex-Dreamworks guy (I swear any problems with Astroboy were all his), and then half of everyone got fired, and things only got worse. I'm quite disappointed Gatchaman never happened, but I kinda figured it wouldn't. Still, I give them the credit for using the original Japanese version as their source. I HATE HATE HATE the Battle of the Planets dub.

as for Nick TMNT... I'd say I'm reserving judgement, but other than a couple voice actors, I know nothing of the project. Can't find info anywhere, but it doesn't matter. As long as we still have the comic book, the one thing I was truely worried about, I'll survive.
Why the heck couldnt they get the people who made the Men In Black/Godzilla late 90's cartoon, the French made US released Fantastic Four 2006 cartoon or the GI Joe Renegades studio to make a 2d TMNT? I LOVE the look of those cartoons, or anything Peter Chung does. Imagine a Peter Chung TMNT. It woulda looked amazing...but noooooo. They have to go with not just cgi...but from the concept and preview I saw, the worst cgi this side of Mickey Mouse club. Barf.

I'm ok with letting some franchises die. Transformers is dead to me. TMNT can die gracefully. And that's ok. Fraggle Rock is pretty much dead too, despite an erroneous
flicker of hope with Red showing up at Comic Con and the comics. It's dead.

But sadly there is absolutely no cgi projects coming out that get me excited. Brave? Meh. Paranorman...but upon closer inspection its stop motion(so slick it fooled me to thinking it was cgi) Goon looked amazing from the teaser, but the project got cancelled. Gatchaman looked amazing, going from the teaser trailers. I remember being in awe of the MvA concept art. But nothing coming up cgi movie has me excited at all. Least theres the Tron 2d cartoon. I WISH The Governator didnt get canned, as I loved the classic 90's look to it.