1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your favorite Jim Henson character

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by dwayne1115, Jul 5, 2016.

?

Who is your favorite Jim Henson character

Poll closed Oct 13, 2016.
  1. Kermit the Frog

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Rowlf the Dog

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Dr. The Theeth

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Link Hogthrob

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. The Swish chef

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Newsman

1 vote(s)
    6.7%

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Today I thought we could start a poll/discussion on which one of Jim Henson's characters on the Muppet show people like the most. Now I know for some this may be a challenge,but I also hope that this will open some good fun conversation about Jim and the Muppets.
    So tell us who is your Favorite of Jim's characters?

2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

It's a toss up between Dr. the Theeth and the Swish Chef. Though I never understood why a Theeth would be named "Dr." The Swish Chef is a combination of my love for basketball and Isaac Hayes. :laugh:

Yeah, I went with Kermit. I've especially taken a liking to the sarcastic side he brings out on talk shows and personal appearances.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

I voted for rowlf. I love his bits at the muppet show. Swedish chef is a close second. Its actually really hard. Still i have to vote for rowlf already because of the song Cottleston Pie:)

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

This is kind of hard. I guess i'll have to go with Rowlf.
    I was going to say Kermit but I much prefer him in his earlier years when he was a bit more sarcastic and on edge all the time. Nowadays he seems like a more watered down version of his former self. Thus making him a more boring character.
    Rowlf on the other hand has stayed pretty consistent since about the 70s.

Muppy likes this.
  5. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Kermit! :)

scooterfan360 likes this.
  6. dwayne1115

I'm really not surprised that more folks are picking Rowlf. When The Muppet Show started he had already become a well established character from all his work on the Jimmy Dean show.

I picked the Newsman because of all of Jim's characters the Newsman is the most silly. I also think that it was a jab at Chevy Chase and weekend update to some extent.

7. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

Dr. Teeth is my favorite.

8. dwayne1115

I just realized that when I was creating the poll that I forgot Waldorf!!! To any Waldorf fans out there I'm very sorry.

Great why is he your favorite?

Blue Frackle likes this.
  9. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

Or Mahna Mahna haha :)

10. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Or Penguin #35. How could you forget Penguin #35??? :zany:

11. dwayne1115

Yes but he really was only in the one song so.....
    Humm oddly enough penguin 35 turned into penguin 21 by season 5 so I didn't know what number to give him so I left him out....

Mo Frackle likes this.
  12. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

I just love the enthusiasm Jim brought to him. He seemed like a more hyped up Rowlf in a way. (Both played keyboards, had raspy voices, etc). Also it's something to do with his style of dress. So much going on with his outfit. I think part of that energy Jim put into Dr. Teeth would later influence Convincing John. (Also considering Dr. Teeth is supposedly inspired by real life singer, Dr. John, maybe some name play with that, or maybe i'm reading too deep into it.)

Also, gotta love the gold Tooth.

13. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

Just like anything it varies by the day. Today I'll go with :sympathy:; it's a sin not voting for :) though.

I think an interesting battle is :) vs. :p. I think I gotta go :p.

One of :sympathy:'s finer moments:

One of the things that totally sticks with people is the music, though :) has definitely had his moments too!

The SD VHS-rip is the icing on the nostalgia cake. :) Jim just wanted to get in TV, and he just happened to be an amazing puppeteer and just happened to be an amazing singer...

:sympathy: is just so caring and so nonjudgemental; he's that shoulder to lean on.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  14. dwayne1115

I got to agree with you about Rowlf. He dose hold a special place in my heart.

15. dwayne1115

Sorry for double posting,but I find something odd. No one has voted for Link or chef!!! Now I can kind of understand Link to some extent. I mean at times he is not my favorite but he can still drive Piggy nuts which is something I always enjoy. Chef on the other hand, I don't understand why he has not gotten more votes. I personally think out of all of Jim's characters he is the most fun, and most funny. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.
  16. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Active Member

Novelty characters, one-joke characters can't win this contest. It's honestly kind of :) vs. :sympathy:.

Meanwhile Rowlf takes the commanding lead. I would like to see this done with other puppeteers, including SS/other characters.

17. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I for one am for :news:. :news: is so hilarious!!! I think I've memorized some, if not ALL the Muppet Newsflashes.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  18. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Nobody's voting for Kermit. :( :cry:

19. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Wow, still no votes for the Swedish Chef.

20. dwayne1115

Yes I plan on doing this in the Sesame thread and other puppeteers in due time.

Rowlf is awesome! I have heard so many times that Rowlf is more like Jim then even Kermit. Could you imagine what the Muppet Show would be like if Rowlf where the MC?
    I wish that Rowlf would kind of go back to his roots and do gust spots on one of the Late night talk shows like Jimmy Fallon.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016