1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Favorite Muppet Performer?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by SSLFan, Jun 12, 2007.

1. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Who's your favorite muppet performer on Sesame Street? There are so many in my case, so I've decided to make a top five list:

1. Carroll Spinney: for Big Bird and Oscar.

2. Kevin Clash: for Elmo, Baby Natasha, Benny the Bellhop, and Hoots.

3. Marty Robinson: for Telly and Snuffy (and many more!).

4. Fran Brill: for Zoe, Prarrie Dawn, Roxy Marie, and various female muppets.

5. Frank Oz: for Bert, Cookie, and Grover.

Also, earning a special place is the man who started it all: Jim Henson, for his work as Ernie, Kermit, Guy Smiley and others. Also earning special spots are Jerry Nelson( Count, Herry. etc.) and Richard Hunt(where can a person start!:) ). There are so many muppeteers who have worked on this show, but those have to be my absolute favorites. I just wish I new more about Richard Hunt, you guys say he had some of the greatest charcthers. But, anyways, who are your favorite muppeteers who have had the oppertunity to be on this groundbreaking show for the past 38 years?
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yep! I think that's my exact list too.
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

For me, it's a tie between Frank Oz and Richard Hunt. No one could make me laugh as much as Frank's SS characters, like Grover and Bert. But Richard's characters are so funny and different and crazy. Plus you can hear his voice in so many sketches and songs, it's incredible.

Actually the two of them actually worked very well together. Like this sketch with Don Music and Grover:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7wUCCrAMF4I
  4. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

Caroll Spinney
    Jerry Nelson

I like most of them, of course, but if I had to pick favorites, it's be these two :)
  5. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I think that Frank is the greatest Sesame performer. All of his characters were, and still are brilliant, and his three main characters are some of the most popular characters on the show today, and throughout the run of the show.

That, and they're HI-LARRIOUS.
  6. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

In my book, it's...

Jim Henson
    Frank Oz
    Jerry Nelson
    Fran Brill
    Caroll Spinney
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Jim Henson
    Frank Oz
    Caroll Spinny
    Richard Hunt
    Jerry Nelson
    Fran Brill
    Marty Robinson
    Kevin Clash
    David Rudman
    Joey Mazzarino
    Carmen Osbahr
  8. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

My favorite performers

Here's a list of my favorite performers.

1. Jim Henson for Kermit the Frog 1969-1990

2. Frank Oz for Pinocchio, The Old Woman Who Lives in a Shoe, Young George Washington Beautiful Day Monster and the Tortoise from the Tortoise and the Hare

3. Jerry Nelson for The News Flash announcer, the Big Bad Wolf, the Professor from the Six Dollar Man Little Miss Muffhiet and the Hare from The Tortoise and the Hare.

4. Richard Hunt for Don Music 1974-1989, The alphabet miner, Alie Bahba and Mr. Moses

5. Steve Whitmire for Kermit the Frog 1996-2001
  9. Crazy31088

Crazy31088 Member

I think my favorites would have to be Richard Hunt (for Placido Flamingo and Don Music), Jim Henson (for Ernie), Frank Oz (for Grover), and Kevin Clash (for Hoots and Elmo [back when he was just another character]).
  10. matleo

matleo Active Member

Love 'em all, Jim, Frank, Richard, etc. but to pick my favorite.....

Easily Jerry Nelson

His range of characters is simply unparalleled by any other Muppet performer. His singing range is incredible and the amount of soul and heart that each of his characters exhibits is a key element in why I enjoy the Muppets so much. Jerry is one of the few original performers to have an acting background first and puppetry background second and I think if you look at his characters it kind of shows. So many of them have this incredible presence and theatricality to them that just sets them apart a little bit from the other Muppets. He's the performer I tend to watch the most and he's the performer I try to emulate the most.

Like I said, I love all the others and all for different reasons, but Jerry....Jerry is my favorite.

--Matleo