1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Favorite Series 5 Figure is...

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Phillip, Sep 23, 2003.

?

What is your favorite action figure from series 5?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2003.
  1. Gonzo in Purple Tux and Camilla

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Janice

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Muppet Newsman

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pepe

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Janice Repaint

2 vote(s)
    4.2%

1. HerryGrail

HerryGrail Member

Saw these in two places and wanted to get the Newsman, Janice (to complete that set), and Pepe (for a friend). Unfortunately the splattered paint has kept me looking. How, for instance, does the Newsman's face get so many drops of hair paint on it, even the chin?

Anyone notice how much the Gonzo looks like a bigger version of the old Fisher Price figure with a rod you attach to his back to make him "walk"? Just an observation, certainly not a criticism.
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Palisades' Gonzo looks absolutely nothing like the FP figure. There's actually a humorous thread comparing those figures to Palisades. Those old stick puppets were cute way back when, but are incredibly crude when compared to Palisades' figures. I've got the old figure on my desk right now. :concern:
  3. Meepster12

Meepster12 New Member

I voted Gonzo. He look really cool. Anyone seen these in any stores in Houston, TX?:confused:

:rolleyes: :flirt: :concern: (No newsguy smiley...:cry: )
  4. HerryGrail

HerryGrail Member

Like I said...no offense. I didn't mean the new one was crude. I should have said it looked like a bigger, more elaborate version of the old figure. It just kind of startled me and took me back about 25 years when I saw it. Something about that purple tuxedo and the packaged pose. Those stick puppets were very special when they came out.
  5. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

had to go for Gonzo, even though it'll be a miracle if I get any of them, Gonzo looks pretty darn cool!
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Here is the photo Crock Alley posted on Palisades' board http://www.boomspeed.com/crockalley/GOnzo.jpg No offense taken of course. They just don't remotely resemble each other. I have fond memories of the clunky little figures as a kid, but they aren't quality products in the least. Maybe they were 25 years ago. They are both wearing a tux. That's the only similarity I can see, but even the suits aren't very much alike. If you look closely, their Gonzo is wearing a women's jacket with the buttons on the wrong side. For more comparisons, visit the thread: http://www.palisadestoys.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5229 :concern:
  7. HerryGrail

HerryGrail Member

OK...I fault my foggy memory and rose-colored view of the past. That head doesn't look like the one I remember...the one in the photo is much cruder and hand-painted-looking. I envisioned a nice clean Fisher Price paint job.

It was just the pose, I guess...I don't remember any purple-suited, articulated, straight-ahead-facing Gonzos in between, so the new one recalled the old one to me. I really, really admire and appreciate the Palisades figures. I think Lew Zealand is the best figure released by anyone this year.
  8. Meepster12

Meepster12 New Member

Hello!

WHY DID YOU IGNORE ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:grouchy:
  9. Sloely

Sloely New Member

My fave is Gonzo overall, but they are all amazing! THis might be my fave series so far. Didnt care to get Pepe, tho his accessories sound incredible. Got Janice repaint before I realized she was a repaint, and she looks awesome. I felt the same as Mike Crawford that her accesories werent great, but then i looked at the tambourine! And in her right hand she can slap it on her hip perfectly by swinging her bicep joint. Exquisite! Newsman is really great. His paint ap rules, and his glasses and expression are spot on! Really dont dig the stickers tho. I wish they had been photos from the show, instead of cheap photoshops of the figures. (Which begs the question of Are the character Photos gonna be on the packaging again? I really want the photo on there!) But Gonzo just rules. I have been steadily growing more and more amazed at Palisades genius use of softer plastics thruout the series. Scooter, Dr. Strangepork, Chef and Lews' hair is thrilling! But it is just ingenious on Gonzo's hairs!!! Also the points where his soft jacket meets his hard shirt are flawless and just bring the figure that much more to life, (Newsman too.) And Gonzo's expression is wicked great, and I like the paint ap on his nose. It's not perfect, but definitely in the right direction. :concern:
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

11. Chad Kermit

Chad Kermit New Member

I noticed the foot issue too and yes compared to Scooter and the PIS the stance of these figures looks a little more life-like. I am amazed at all the articulation on this set of figures. I love the extra articulation to the head of the Newsman and Janice. And the way the Newman turns at the waist works well with the way his hips bend. Even the joints on his jacket are painted plad. I can't find a perfect Gonzo. All of them have paint issues. So I opted for one with clothing paint issues vs face paint issues.

Gonzo is my fav. So weird to have a Gonzo toy with his nose well represented. He looks so strange among my other Gonzos. Strange in Gonzo's case is always a "good thing".

Chad Kermit
  12. DrummerMan

DrummerMan New Member

The only one I bought for myself was Janice, since I'm only collecting The Electric Mayhem (I ordered Gonzo for a friend, but haven't seen him yet). I was impressed with many aspects of her, especially the detail in the tamborine, but I was disappointed that, unlike Floyd's bass, her guitar isn't plugged into the amp, and she doesn't have a strap. This isn't really a big deal, except it stands out pretty bad when she is on display with the rest of the band.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

People hated that plug. LOL! Most of us snapped it off of the speaker to make him more mobile. It would be nice if the plug were removeable, but that's added cost. Palisades listened to the fan concerns and made adjustments. :flirt: :sing:
  14. Cap Backfire

Cap Backfire New Member

Gonzo is by far the best...

OK, I chose Gonzo in part because he's my favorite Muppet by far anyway. I was always the weirdo in school and thus, we related well. Anyway, they really captured Gonzo in all his glory with this fig, right down to his little rubber bowtie. He's also the most well articulated figure in the whole set, methinks... Well, he is possibly overshot by Zoot (in fact he is) but Zoot still doesn't hold a candle to Gonzo. His paint apps are perfect, his nose curves are perfect, his rubber hair fronds are perfect as well. I love him. What else can I say.
  15. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Yay! I just got series five today! Unfortunatley, there were a few problems w/ my set:

Pepe: He can't hold his blow dryer in his hand so that it's facing toward him (as if he was blowing his hair)

Newsman: Face has a couple blotches on it, and the neck joint's a little loose in one position. Also, the Newsman isn't as "Muppety-textured" as the others (not sure if it's supposed to be like that.)

However, I love how you can put the stickers on the Newsman backdrop (too bad you can't put 'em all on!) and the telephone is super cool, everything's super cool about S5!!! :D My fave is Pepe :rolleyes:
  16. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

My Pepe figure is the same, I'm not sure if its a problem, maybe its supposed to be like that. The prong that connects the blow dryer to his hand is also very loose on mine too.

The newsman had a few minor paint problems but it really is fine. I love series 5, its much better than the next series anyway.
  17. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Also, a question about Pepe: is he supposed to be able to stand on his own w/o a stand? 'Cause on mine, his left foot is tilted so that he can't stand no matter what way you put his legs.
  18. Phamos818

Phamos818 New Member

I was disappointed that gonzo can't hold his bugle. that makes it pretty useless, IMHO. he is beautiful, though, and having camilla is really great.
  19. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Gonzo can hold his bugle, you just have to put it in his hand so that he holds it, he just can't hold it up to his mouth.
  20. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

Like Rizzo and his piece of pizza!