1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Sesame Street Era

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by BooberFraggless, Aug 31, 2005.

1. BooberFraggless

BooberFraggless New Member

What is everyone's Sesame Street Era. The years in which you watched the most episodes? Mine was probably 1984-1994 after that it got too weird and I only tuned into the show occasionally. It wasn't worth watching every day anymore when they brought in all those new charachters and starting phasing out the old ones. But at least I had one good solid decade in which I watched the show almost every day and enjoyed every minute of it :p :(
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I started watching since I was a baby. I was born in 1981. I watched regularly for quite a while and then just occassionally when i could. I still turn it on now but only for new episodes. So I have been watching on and off for almost 24 years including the specials and feature films.
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I think I started watching around the time Mr. Hooper died. I remember most 80s episodes. My brother was born in 1986 and I remember watching it with him when he was little. I'd say I stopped sometime before the 90s. Though I remember a few shows I've seen in the 90s. I've noticed that was around the time they changed the opening and closing credits.
  4. superfan

superfan Active Member

From 1976 up to 1990 pretty consistently. On my summer vacations from school you could usually find me watching it. After that it's been relatively sporadic...but I try to keep up to date. Thankfully I'm in the childcare profession, so that's kept me in the loop of many children's shows in general.
  5. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Being born in 1967 I was from the original SS viewing era! I watched regularly from 1969-1977.
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

70's and 80's for me. Yup.
  7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

various eras

Although I never really stopped watching it, There have been times that I watched the show more than others.

I wathced the show a lot from 1984 untill 1991 (i'm guessing that I watched it since I was born), but although there are many segments, songs, and characters from that time period that I remember well (without the help of the internet or any research sources), i don't remember very many plots from the 1980s (there are some plots that I remember that may have been from after 1990). There are also a lot of characters from that time that I remember well, but don't remember very many specific moments with (which I might have forgotten about if it weren't for video releases, the internet, or Sesame Street Unpaved). Moments with characters like Bruno, Sherlock Hemlcok, Lefty, Simon Soundman, Biff, Sully, Barkly, Grungetta, Irvine, Forgetful Jones, Placedo Flamingo, and Fat Blue.

Then, I saw this show quite a bit from 1993-1995, and I remember more specific moments from this time period than the earlier one. After that, I watched almost every episode from season 30, and i watched the show alot during the 35th season. I have watched some of the season 36 episodes, but not many.
  8. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

Mostly late 70's-early 80's, although I watched the Canadian version, so the street segments may have been behind a year or so, I'm not sure.
  9. SesameMike

SesameMike Member

From the premiere in late '69 until 1977. I hardly missed an episode during that time. I remember, in the mid-70s, longing for early sketches that had been retired by then, such as Buddy and Jim, along with certain favorite street scenes. Some of them I finally got to see again when Noggin came along.
  10. I started watching it probably around 1990 sometime, than I stopped around maybe mid 1994, and didn't get back into it until mid 1996, than I would turn into it occasionally and still do.

SS seemed cool in the Mid 80s-1992, though the 70s and early 80s was pretty cool too.
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

i gues the 1st 20 years of it though I probably favor the 1st 5 years of the series due to the fact I wasn't around or old enough to have seen years between 1969-1974 and it was interesting to have what they were like.including some of the short lived cast members durring the early 70s.
  12. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I was born in 1970. But I remember SS was the very first TV show I ever watched. I loved it, except for the few scary skits and cartoons that had me running out of the room. And I'm still watching it to this very day. :)
  13. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Definitely in the 1980s!!! And I watched it through the most of the 1990s and every now and then when I catch an episode on PBS or on Noggin. (Although with the current ones, I generally tune out about 15 minutes toward the end! :grouchy: I don't hate Elmo, but I can only take so much of Elmo's World.)
    But the specials and movies are great too and the great video releases from the 1980s, filled with tons of classic sketches! And Play with Me Sesame shows a bunch of cool classic sketches too! And on a side note, I finally watched Elmo in Grouchland earlier this year and I have to admit it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might have been. :cool:
  14. sarevan

sarevan New Member

The Wonder Years....

I was born in 71 and have always been told that my Mom started watching it before I was born...

I watch it now with my 3 kids...

But...the 70'S.....Maaaaaaaaaaaaan...those were the days!

:)
  15. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

I was born in 1971, so pretty much 1974-1978.

My older sister saw it from day one - November 10, 1969-on.

She said that even as a kid, she remembers the hoopla and endless promotion counting down the days to Sesame Street premiere.

You couldn't avoid it. It was kinda like the Desperate Housewives of its day.
  16. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I was born in 1968 so I've been there since Day One (even though I hardly remember much as a one-year-old, except we had a black-and-white tv, so I didn't get to see Sesame Street in glorious Technicolor until 1971). After my prime years 1969-77, I still tune in to this day, but nothing will ever top the first five years of the show.

Thanks to my best friend Mokeystar for sharing all the Unpaved episodes with me, and reuniting me with Orange Oscar and Brown Grover :)
  17. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

18. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

My main era was from 1992-94. Then for 1994-95, I kinda stopped watching it, just because I felt I was too old. Then I got back into it a little bit for the 1995-96 season, but then I felt I had to stop watching it, so I could be like most kids. Even during the period where I wasn't normally watching, sometimes I would watch it if I was flipping through the channels and there was nothing else on. But then, one day, during the next season, it was during April Vacation, and I saw ALL THESE CLIPS that I remembered from when I was younger, I became HOOKED. The first one I caught that really brought back memories was the song called "Baby's Life." That was a song with a baby girl singing in a discotheque in her crib. The chorus went "I'm a baby (ga ga goo goo wa wa wa wa)," and that instantly brought back memories. Then, I HAD to watch a complete episode, and I caught one where Oscar's niece Irvine kept wanting more ice cream, but Oscar explained that it would give her a tummy ache. And then they sang the song "We Love Trash", which was originally "I Love Trash", and that brought back memories as well. And the day after that, there was a sketch where Guy Smiley brought his entire audience to lunch, and they had to count all the members, and they found 39, but they didn't have a chair for Guy Smiley himself!! So that's how I got back into the show.

However, my parents did warn me that people would make fun of me, and they didn't feel comfortable with me getting back into it, and I have gotten a lot of flak for it. And a lot of kids in my grade watched "Arthur" and "Magic School Bus", so I thought then maybe they'd like "Sesame Street", since it was on the same channel, but nope. But I will always love the show, and nothing will stop me from loving it.
  19. Fuzzy and Blue

Fuzzy and Blue New Member

I was born in 1989, so I think my main era was from about 1990 to about 1992...in 1992 (at age 3), I was freaked out after seeing "The Word is No," so my "forced" main era (my mom had to desensitize me by squeezing me between her knees and making me watch SS) was from 1992 to about early 1997. sometimes I turn SS on when no one is looking to see if I can find any classic material, and I have seen some things I recognize, but I've been picking up the vibes that especially my mom and brother think it's weird that i'm into SS.

~Dana~
  20. zrs70

zrs70 New Member

I was born in 19870, and SS was a staple in our home. I would actually enjoy watching it through high school, and even at times into college. But once the format changed, I couldn't tollerate it anymore.

You see, the old format spoke to both adults and children. The new format seemed to dumb things down. The muppets used to be quasy adults. Now they all come across as babies.