1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Sesame Street VHS tape collections

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Schfifty, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I just had an amazing idea: why not start a thread for people to share their Sesame Street VHS tape collections? I'm doing VHS specifically not just for nostalgic purposes, but also because I am a big VHS geek. And I'm sure that several people here grew up with VHS as well. So, please feel free to share what Sesame Street VHS tapes you own!

Pictures of my collection (there are a few titles missing):
    http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t673/Schfifty3/100_3106_zpsfce73a72.jpg
    http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums..._Street_VHS_Collection_Part_2_zpsf9d01c1a.jpg

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

-Bert and Ernie's Spectacular.
    -Elmo Says Boo.
    -Sing Yourself Silly.
    -Put Down the Duckie.
    -Elmo's Magic Cookbook.
    -Sing, Hoot, and Howl With the Sesame Street Animals
    -Best of Elmo
    -Rock and Roll Songs.

3. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Whoa, since when was there a tape with that title??

4. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

I assume it's actually "Bert and Ernie's Wordplay."
    As far as tapes go, I only have "Don't Eat the Pictures." And "Muppet Classic Theater," if that counts. My Sesame collection is mostly DVDs than tapes.

5. sesamemuppetfan

Oh, yeah good point!

6. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Or it could possibly be The Best of Ernie and Bert. It's probably not likely though, since it looks like most of the videos on that list are Sony Wonder releases (or re-releases) from the late 90s—early 2000s. From what I've seen, TBoEaB's re-release by Sony Wonder didn't get as much reception as, say, Sing Along.

7. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

It was actually called Bert and Ernie's Wordplay, sorry about the confusion.

8. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

I recently made a thread similar to this but anyway;

Hey everyone. I just started a SS VHS collection. I got most of the My Sesame Street Home Video tapes.
    I have:
    First release with Big Bird illustration on VHS sleeve:
    Big Bird's Favorite Party Games
    Bedtime Stories and Songs

Release without Big Bird illustration on VHS sleeve:
    Learning About Numbers
    Getting Ready to Read
    The Alphabet Game
    The Best of Elmo
    I'm Glad I'm Me
    Getting Ready for School
    Sing Along

From Sesame Songs I have:
    Elmo's Sing Along Guessing Game
    Sing Yourself Silly!

The others I have are:
    We All Sing Together (Sony Wonder release)
    Sing Yourself Silly! (Sony Wonder release)
    25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration
    Fiesta!

Is this a good start to a collection for some who's been browsing ebay? This is actually all from a little over a months time. Surprisingly, all of these have their sleeves intact, pretty good condition.

I need some help, can someone help me locate a copy of Big Bird's Story Time for a good price? It doesn't matter which release, as long as it's one of the My Sesame Street Home Video releases.

9. BertsNose

BertsNose Member

I used to have a couple of Sesame Street VHS tapes when I was a kid that I no longer have. I reordered a few of them from amazon years ago when years later I realized I wanted to keep some. I got rid of all of them years ago. I guess back then I never thought at age 22 I would end up being nostalgic. The tapes I currently own copies of that I remember from my childhood are:

The Best of Ernie and Bert
    Put Down the Duckie
    Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

Yeah it's a short list. I don't know if at 22 I would want to see something like the Best of Elmo again. No offense. I'm just not a fan of him. When I was a kid I used to have Dance Along, Learning About Letters, A New Baby in my House (I don't even know if I watched that one). I do remember watching Dance Along and Learning About Letters. I also had the Best of Elmo, Big Bird Sings, Sesame Street Visits the Hospital, Cookie Monster's Best Bites (I remember the day I got it too. It was on my 4th birthday). I can't remember what else I had.

I don't know if there is a topic where we discuss the Sesame Street videos we had as a kid but I thought it seemed appropriate for this thread. Anyway Thank you Schfifty for making this thread. I think of myself as a VHS geek too and sometimes I thought I was the only person who still owned a VCR.

Schfifty likes this.
  10. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Schfifty, I envy your collection. It's amazing!

Turns out, my copy of Bedtime wasn't the original, but it did come with the Activity Book.

Also, I have a couple more additions to mine. I recently spoke to someone who was selling some VHS tapes in a lot, I saw Count it Higher and Big Bird's Story Time. I asked if he'd split the lot and he said yes! So I now have those, and I'm expecting Big Bird's Favorite Party Games to arrive in the mail sometime soon. All I need is A New Baby in my House, The Best of Ernie and Bert, Play Along Games and Songs, Learning About Letters and Learning to Add and Subtract.

11. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Nice! I've got a number of Sesame Street VHS tapes in my collection. There are still some that have never been released to DVD and so are worth having just for that reason. But there is something nostalgic about it too, I suppose- though I don't consider VHS all that old of a format. (Especially considering I remember when Beta was the big thing and the whole move over to VHS as the new kid on the block...) And of course, before that, I remember watching 16mm film strips and such as a kid at church.
    I think I may have some of the "My Sesame Street Home Video" tapes with the original booklet and all. I know I've run across some at various thrift stores. I'm sure you can find good deals on Ebay too, but I would definitely recommend checking all the local thrift stores first- you can usually find VHS tapes and specifically Sesame Street (or Muppets in general) tapes in abundance.
    I will have to look through my VHS collection to see what all I still have- I used to have more but there came a point when I needed to consolidate for space and had to part with some. But there are some that are favorites that I definitely wanted to hold on to- when I get a chance, I'll try to post a list of them.
    Offhand, I know I have my VHS copies of "Don't Eat the Pictures (Sesame Street at the Metropolitan Museum of Art)" and the "Big Bird's Story Time" VHS tape (mainly because it features some great Sesame Street News Flash sketches with Kermit of course- and even features new footage of Kermit at the end with Big Bird and Snuffy!)
    :) :wisdom:(I'm a big fan of Kermit the Frog and specifically Kermit on Sesame Street.)

12. GonzoLeaper

So remember what I was saying about checking thrift stores for Sesame Street VHS tapes? I was just looking in around in one of the local Goodwill stores yesterday and I picked up a nice copy of the My Sesame Street Home Video VHS release of "Play Along Games and Songs"- with the original booklet! Score!:):wisdom::super: (This is the Random House reissue.)
    [​IMG]
    (If nothing else, gotta love this one just for featuring Forgetful Jones! And they even have him on the cover on the Sony Wonder rerelease VHS and DVD!):insatiable:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

I only have Elmo In Grouchland: Sing And Play and the VHS of the movie it was based on. We gave all our Sesame Street tapes to the church (That and recorded tapes of Fox Family pre-school shows. I wish we still had them...)

14. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

GonzoLeaper, I just ordered a copy of that online, the same reissue. I found it at a thrift shop for $.50 in 3rd grade, but have since lost it so I'm happy to have a new copy. Unsure if it has the booklet though, I have almost every My Sesame Street Home Video VHS in box, last two I need are A New Baby in my House and Learning About Letters. I also just got my hands on The Best of Ernie and Bert in box too :D

MikaelaMuppet and GonzoLeaper like this.
  15. sesamemuppetfan

Awesome find! If possible, would you mind scanning images for the booklet in this thread?: http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/...-home-video-activity-book-photos.52043/page-2

16. GonzoLeaper

17. GonzoLeaper

Okay- well, I got the pictures taken! I will try to have them all up in the appropriate thread tomorrow if I get a chance.:busy::electric::fanatic:

18. sesamemuppetfan

No biggie- I can definitely relate to life problems!

19. GonzoLeaper

Thanks.:) Well, as it happens- I got it done a lot faster than I thought would...the photos have been posted. (Sorry if not all are the best; it was tricky to get the book steady to take pictures for all of it.)

20. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It's great to see all those scans from the Count It Higher activity book. Interesting how Grover is drawn in it despite not being in the video itself (but then again, the Play-Along Songs activity book has Little Bird, who's not in the video).

Also interesting that most of the pages for songs from one-shot/seldom seen characters, they avoid showing the lead singer (though Dr. Thad is drawn with the lyrics to The Ten Commandments of Health). Dissapointing how the image for Do De Rubber Duck is just Ernie in the tub, as opposed to Ernie and everyone else that was in the song. I think this is also the first time I read the lyrics in an official printing, and wondered what they'd do with all the different character lines (by now I would have expected it to be written in script form... and yet it's not).