Your Thoughts: Authentic Gonzo Replica

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We now have on-line the most in-depth review you’ll find of the Gonzo Muppet Replica. Read all the details on this highly-anticipated release in this review by Anthony McElrath.

Also, if you order your Gonzo, Animal or Kermit Replica from this link, a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

If you have questions or comments about the Gonzo Replica or have your own styling tips for Gonzo be sure to post in this discussion.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Morning all! I'm patiently awaiting the coming of the great hooked Gonzo (little HHG To The Galaxy reference there). I cannot wait to get my hands on him and start posing him with my little Kermit. He'll be the first piece of Gonzo merch that I own, actually!

I still don't have any major plans for him, but will definatly be going clothes shopping as soon as he arrives. I want to find him something from the dark universe to wear. Pity that clothes for Kermit are more hard to come by.

Luke

Reaction score
I think its innacurate in places for two reasons - firstly the reviewer more or less ignores the nose "just because" Terry's proto didn't have it and Master Replicas didn't have much choice. He should be reviewing the final product "as is" without making excuses for them or basing his review on the prototype - even if it is understandable. Secondly, he explains the nose issue by saying the poser won't degrade now - not true, other parts are made from foam. However its his own opinion i guess and its nicely written and the photos are exceptional.

Telly

Reaction score
Question...with the new factory doing the Muppets, does that mean that the boxes they come in will be changed as well?

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Question...with the new factory doing the Muppets, does that mean that the boxes they come in will be changed as well?

No one know much about anything about the new factory yet.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that the Fozzie box would be the same general graphic design while the shape would be bigger. I don't believe the art would change. All that will likely be altered is the pesky issues with eye focus and the micro quality fans want in a replica. The change is likely a good one.

I think its innacurate in places for two reasons - firstly the reviewer more or less ignores the nose "just because" Terry's proto didn't have it and Master Replicas didn't have much choice. He should be reviewing the final product "as is" without making excuses for them or basing his review on the prototype - even if it is understandable. Secondly, he explains the nose issue by saying the poser won't degrade now - not true, other parts are made from foam. However its his own opinion i guess and its nicely written and the photos are exceptional.
I wouldn't say the review ignores the nose issue. Anthony delves a little behind the decision and about the nature of both materials. I am also perplexed about the eyelid foam issue. Apparently it age tested better. I know the nose (just sticking out there as it does) would be much more problematic made from foam.

Also, I hope the bottom picture is swapped out. My computer is reading it as distorted. There was also a side-by-side correction image option. Maybe the picture wasn't swapped all the way through?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Also, I hope the bottom picture is swapped out. My computer is reading it as distorted. There was also a side-by-side correction image option. Maybe the picture wasn't swapped all the way through?
It's distorted on my computer, too. It looks like it's being resized to the incorrect aspect ratio for the photo.

:stick_out_tongue:

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Major kudos and sincerest apologies to MR. Gonzo rocks! He's much better than I had anticipated and quite a deal better in person than in pictures.

I have made a few alterations:
(1) just taking off his suit jacket made a world of difference to me. IMO it doesn't fit quite right. Once the jacket was off, Gonzo seemed to take on a different personality. The tux shirt, tie, pants, shoes, and socks (nice touch, MR!) are all very well done. I changed him into more casual clothes though – this is florida after all!

(2) I trimmed the hair around his eyes and cheeks. This made a huge difference, too. He looked much more like Gonzo without all of the fluff around his eyes.

(3) I changed the pupil placement. I used felt and these are temporary. I will be using the telescope flocking others have recommended.

Here's a pic of Gonzo and the gang:
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg156/ignohippo/?action=view&current=IMG_2564.jpg

I will be painting his white eyelids as soon as I can find the time to run out and get some green paint.

I would recommend Gonzo to everyone who is on the fence. The nose material doesn't bother me as much as I expected and looks pretty good in person. I have been very critical of the pics of Gonzo but he has exceeded my expectations in every way. The alterations that I have made are very minimal and anyone could do them.

Now the question: Is Gonzo a replica or an expensive doll? I would call Kermit a replica. Animal and Gonzo are close, but not quite what I would call replicas. That being said, they are better than just being called dolls and are worth every penny.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give Gonzo:

Out of the box: 8

With minor adjustments: 9.25!