Your Thoughts: "Being Elmo" Kevin Clash documentary on DVD and PBS

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey", the documentary of Kevin Clash, will finally arrive on DVD this Tuesday April 3. Here's our review of this anticipated DVD release. Check it out and let us know your thoughts.

Since most of us will be getting "Being Elmo", we'd like to mention that if you order the DVD or digital download from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly and help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD or digital download. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through links on our site.

“Being Elmo” also premieres on Independent Lens Thursday April 5 at 8 pm central, 9 pm eastern on most PBS stations and is available for streaming via Netflix and iTunes digital download.

Once you watch "Being Elmo", post here and let us know your thoughts on this anticipated release.

mo

Reaction score
Yee-ha! Can't wait to get it on dvd!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Went to Best Buy and picked it up this morning. They didn't have it out on the new releases stand but they had it on a cart with a bunch of other DVDs getting ready to be stacked. I didn't know if I could take it or not but after a 1/2 hour of waiting as the staff didn't seem to want to touch the discs at all, I just took one and bought it cheap. Watching the bonus features right now.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Well, I just read Cindy's review, and even though I've seen this on Netflix, and it'll be on tv in HD in a couple nights, looks like I'm gonna buy the DVD, lol. It's the bonus features that are the clincher, for me at least. I just love me some extras, especially when they're more interviews, and q & a's are the BEST! :big_grin:

Can't wait, and thanks for the awesome review Cindy!
:smile:
Anthony

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I love it! My only compliant is that the sound is so low that, you have to turn the volume way up.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Just picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble, after no luck at Target or Best Buy. I probably payed a little more for it at B&N but at least I avoided Walmart. Going out at 9:00 means I'll have to wait til tomorrow to watch it.

ploobis

Reaction score
I picked up my copy at Best Buy. I was kinda surprised to see it there, but sure enough it was sitting on the shelf of the Documentary section. I think there were only 4 or 5 copies available.

I first saw the film at a screening in Baltimore MD where Kevin Clash & Elmo made an appearance for a Q&A session and I've watched it a couple times on Netflix and I love the film!

When I came home with the DVD the first thing I did was watch the bonus features! I love seeing the footage of Tau Bennett living a dream in the Sesame Street Macy's float with Baby Bear on his arm. I also loved the seeing Bill Barretta stop his interview to call Kevin about making crab cakes! LOL!!!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I loved this film and hoped it would have a little more depth into the life of Kevin Clash, but it glossed over a lot of personal bits. I was impressed how much access that Sesame Workshop allowed and how much exposure into the process the film revealed. I cried five times during this picture. That was unexpected because the red fella isn't a particular fave because I didn't grow up with him. The documentary really tugs at the heart strings. I hope they make more of them for other performers like the new Spinney documentary coming soon. I also hope they go into greater personal depth too.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:1/2 Elmos.​

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I love it! My only compliant is that the sound is so low that, you have to turn the volume way up.
Yeah, something about the DVD sets me the wrong way. Not so much the movie or the bonus features, just the way it's presented. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact I have to battle the volume when I have the DVD or the fact that the menus seem a bit DVD-R-ish. But that's just me, it's worth it just for the movie.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yeah, something about the DVD sets me the wrong way. Not so much the movie or the bonus features, just the way it's presented. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact I have to battle the volume when I have the DVD or the fact that the menus seem a bit DVD-R-ish. But that's just me, it's worth it just for the movie.
I actually kinda liked the clean menus. The bottom nav reminded me of Blu-ray and that's kind of my one big complaint. Why wasn't this released on Blu-ray? I also had sound issues, but i live in a noisy neighborhood so that seems normal. They had no subtitle option. That's rare these days.

But I liked the movie a lot. I just wanted more!