1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Electric Mayhem at Outside Lands Music Festival Sunday August 7, 2016

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

Where?

2. TwoHeadedLlama

TwoHeadedLlama Active Member

The video is processing, but when it's done it will be here.

3. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I watched the video muppetperson posted. Wow!

This was so cool! Great choice of songs and the music was fantastic! I loved the inserts during the breaks and that giant Electric Mayhem flag someone was waving in the audience!

The performers were brilliant, but what else would you expect from them! Matt and David were awesome together and Bill just knocked it out of the park! There really wasn't much attention on Zoot so I can't really say anything about Dave. How cool was it that they decided to go full-body Muppets for this?

My only wish is that they had actually given Lips at least a moment to sing by himself. That's okay though. Steve did phenomenally with the trumpet playing!

4. JimAndFrank

Facebook

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. JimAndFrank

Here we go...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It was great. I really liked the drawings of the band that appear in the closing song.

It was weird that, for the most part, Lips is absent from the video segments (he does pop up briefly in the "how we met" segment, but I feel he should have been in the van with the rest of the band). I wonder if Steve Whitmire was absent from those (though, since he didn't talk, anybody could have handled him), or if there was consideration to not include him (well, today as I looked through older Tough Pigs posts about this I saw a poster that did mention that Lips would appear, I must have missed it long ago). At least we got to see him mentioned by name and at least he got to say at least one line (there were times when it was a bit hard to determine who was talking) when the band was guessing what woman Dr. Teeth was thinking about (according to Muppet Wiki, the names of each girl guessed is the name of the performers wives).

During the video segments, I wish they could have just shown the video image to the computer, as opposed to cutting back and forth from video to live footage of the video screens.

It is cool that we get to see the legs of the characters. I guess the performers wore black sleeves to blend in with the black sets. I wish I could tell if the characters were sitting or standing. It does look like Lips is walking a few times.

I think this is the first time I saw arm wires on Lips (or was that just a wire for his trumpet?) in something that wasn't a behind the scenes photo or footage. I've seen some behind the scenes photos that show that Lips has arm wires, but the wires somehow never show (even in the days before arm wires were digitally erased).

JT Yorke likes this.
  7. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

I just woke up and i´m so glad you guys did record this. I just loved the opening with can you picture that. This is so great. The muppets do what they are suposed to do, bring a smile on my face!

8. rocketdave

rocketdave New Member

That was a really awesome thing to witness. I was actually moved to applaud at the end, despite the fact that I was watching at home by myself.

Thanks to Muppet Central for sending out the email reminder; even though I've only posted to the forum a couple times, it makes me glad I finally decided to get an account here. Otherwise, I'm sure the concert would have slipped my mind until it was too late.

Phillip likes this.
  9. Janice+Floyd<3

Janice+Floyd<3 Well-Known Member

Loved Janice and Floyd singing home way too precious and that titanic remake Hahaha I was dying of cuteness and laughter at the refrence

10. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

What?? Matt and Bill couldn't be performing. I distinctly remember seeing Matt ask Bill on Twitter if he wanted to come along and WATCH it! LOL ;)

MikaelaMuppet and JimAndFrank like this.
  11. JimAndFrank

I suppose they got a bit carried away!!!

MikaelaMuppet and muppetperson like this.
  12. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Yeah, they probably went there with the intention to watch it, but the Electric Mayhem must have invited them up on stage to watch from behind the scenes! ;)

13. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Such an amazing concert. And that puppetry

And is it just me or does it sound like they kind of re did the Can You Picture That instrumental with a bigger horn presence in the song

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Also according to Mike Quinn the crowd was calling for an encore and that even Lionel Richie didn't get that.

ShMuppetgal96 and TwoHeadedLlama like this.
  15. TwoHeadedLlama

TwoHeadedLlama Active Member

This video really shows off how awesome the puppetry is.

16. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

17. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

They also made references to the other Muppet Wives. Caren (David Rudman), Kelly (Matt Vogel), Debbie (Dave Goelz), Melissa (Steve Whitmire), Mary (Eric Jacobson).

18. JimAndFrank

The puppetry is kind of the reason why it's currently 3am and I can't sleep.

Because Lips has such a bright and colourful design, he kept attracting my attention over the others. He really did look fantastic. The way Mike Quinn had him walking wasn't too distracting and I loved that he and Steve were willing to try different things. Not only did Lips walk across the stage a couple of times, but he also had one foot up on an amp to pose while he got into a trumpet heavy section. He even sat on an amp a couple of times. And of course the 'playing' of the trumpet was detailed and pretty authentic looking.

It blows me away every time when the performers go above and beyond what was expected. They could have just hid behind a barrier where the band was only seen from the waist. But no. Instead they decided to create the illusion of a solid floor being present, even if it made the job tougher than it needed to be.

I keep questioning why I admire the performers as much as I do. THIS is the perfect answer to that question. It's a bit hard to admire actors once you realize that there are people who can accomplish the same range of acting using only their voices and arms to emote and create movement.

I froggin' love the Muppet Performers. Each and every single one of them.

19. ftnpro

ftnpro Member

Very cool. I meant to say, "I hope they got a curtain call after the live stream ended," and they did! Now... can we see please them in Behind the Scenes footage, too? :)

20. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Member

Janice and Floyd are my fav Muppet couple, fer sure! They were so sweet singing "Home". I just wish that Floyd could have sang "oh my my" instead of "Jesus Christ" in the one lyric of the song. Besides that, I loved the whole performance. Also, hearing Dr. Teeth sing a cover of "Ophelia" by The Band totally rocked my world!

Janice+Floyd<3 likes this.