1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Half-hour Sesame Street begins on PBS September 1, 2014

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm sure the new episodes made for the half hour format will have a better flow to them. I really didn't like the street stories being edited, since they seem to have cut the punchlines of some of them. And it really felt like some of the new episodes from last season knew they had to make shorter story lines and we wound up with rushed stories like the Thrift Shop one and Everyday Magic.

Hopefully season 46 has more breathing room in its segments to give a better half hour experience.

2. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Actually, as you said, they will. I did some major research and come to find out the following is a really big shocker. SESAME STREET WILL HAVE 2 SEASON 46'S!! Actually, 20 new episodes (which begins starting today November 30, 2015 at 10:00 A.M.) are still new and will appear as 1/2 hr. episodes with the old current street setting. The episodes will be apparently known as "PBS Season 46" or the alternate of "Season 46 PBS". Then HBO's Season 46 (the regular new season 46) is on as noted in the regular lineup.
    My question is, why is Sesame Workshop doing this? Will there now be two different American Sesame Street series or not? My thought is if Sesame Street began on PBS then it should stay PBS. I don't get HBO anyways, never mind cable or satalite TV anyways.
    Just thought I'd mention the weirdness anyways.

3. Drtooth

If that's indeed the case, it's not weird at all. I applaud SW for keeping "new" episodes in the running while it will take 9 months to see any of the actual new stories on broadcast. Besides, if all the repeat episodes are on HBO, that's kind of a ripoff. I know the HBO deal was last minute and something tells me that there would have been a crapload of reruns to fill out the 26 episodes this season anyway if that didn't happen. Giving PBS recycled episodes while giving the HBO run new ones is kinda a d*** move, but considering that HBO really wanted something out of their deal with SW, it's understandable they'd keep the new ones exclusive for a while.

WorldOfSesame likes this.
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Where are you getting this info from? I don't think that's the case at all. From the PBS listings I've seen, the episodes re-running now are billed as "45##," meaning they're extensions of season 45, not season 46.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  5. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Sources are from tvguide.com, Sesame Workshop's website, Time's website, and I unfortunately forget the other two sources that I found.
    Anyways, today's episode "Finishing The Splat" is a new episode. New episodes will air every 2-3 weeks, usually on a Monday and replayed the Friday of that same week.

Mostly known, this information is kept low, especially from HBO so the deal of a Season 46 will not be ruined for future funding of Sesame Workshop. At least I think that's right.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  6. Oscarfan

Sorry, I'm not seeing anything like that on SW or TVGuide.

7. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

TV Guide has it in on http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ . Make sure your listings are set right, ok.

8. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Oh, I'm also sorry...Street scenes may be reused in episodes with newer segments on episodes though. What a shame, as I just hate that all together! But maybe...I dunno. Are these new episodes been modled off the original hour episodes? I just don't know. BUT WHAT I DIDN'T FIND OUT (much to my disgrace) is where they built the episodes from. Isn't their street set different now? Why am I seeing (as I just web searched this) old episodes claimed as new with edited new segments. Why? This makes me so sad...

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  9. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

New question...is it just me or did anyone else hear a half-hour Sesame Street Muppet Spinoff is going to happen this January as well. What is that about? Why the...?

10. Oscarfan

As a part of the HBO deal with SW, they've asked them to produce more shows for them. One of which is a Sesame spin-off specifically. It's not debuting in January, as far as I know. It's way too soon for them to have developed anything yet.

11. Drtooth

I've seen a "new" tag on Finishing the Splat as well, but on zap2it. So, after a simple look on the Wikia, I noticed that Finishing the Splat wasn't listed as one of the repeat episodes from season 46. So it's somehow considered a new episode in half hour rerun for season 45 form? I get why he was confused about it. Then again, Zap2it is weird. I noticed when Qubo for some reason started rerunning old Denver the Last Dinosaur episodes, they were tagged as "new." All the while some actually new episodes of something aren't. And... well... when it listed some Be Cool Scooby-Doo and Wabbit episodes, they were reruns from the future, apparently. I would personally chalk that up to Zap2it's inaccuracy, but it's odd that someone found it on another TV listings site.

So it's a shame that isn't the case because that would have worked so well. "New" reruns for PBS while the newly produced Sesame episodes got a run on HBO. Seems like it would have been a good compromise over that 9 month gap and the fact the season started late.

MikaelaMuppet and WorldOfSesame like this.
  12. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Thank ya'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MPBN MUST BE WEIRD BECAUSE THEY SAY IT TOO.

13. Oscarfan

From what I understand, the "new" episodes on PBS are considered that due to the half-hour format; the ones last year were considered a separate series than the hour-long. So, PBS is calling this new batch of edits a second season in a sense.

One thing I do like is that they're keeping the ETM bits (albiet truncated) and that they'll continue in the new HBO season.

14. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Not always. The episode last Friday had all of the short form segments booted off.

15. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Now what the ****? I know that SW sells paid access to Sesame Street episodes on YouTube, but now why are they now selling the edited 1/2 hr. episodes too? This doesn't make any sense at all!

16. Drtooth

I had a feeling that was a case. Pretty sneaky, but I guess unless anyone frequents TV listing sites, it doesn't really matter.

17. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

My local PBS Station (as of a few minutes ago!) stated on their website that if, quote "no new episodes were made...then PBS will have to die it off of PBS". What does that mean?

18. Drtooth

I don't believe that. I've seen shows that stayed on PBS years after they had any new episodes. Clifford was on my station at least 4 or 5 years after the episodes ran out. And it got them back again after a brief period where they weren't on. And while the half hour episodes made out of full length ones still technically count as "new" episodes and the fact they'll get the actual new episodes 9 months later, there isn't any major lull period.

19. WorldOfSesame

WorldOfSesame Member

Yeah. Clifford used to do the same thing here. But we also got an extended period of Sid The Science Kid...and now we just get more BBC News instead.

In the early 2000's Sesame Street used to air 3 times a day, now it is only at 10:00 AM. I remember that episode about "Cookie's World" and how it once aired back to back for 3 hours in a row after local sports which airs in winter sometimes due to stupid basketball tournaments. This usually isn't the case.
    For Example... 2004
    10:00 SS
    12:00 SS
    3:00 SS

20. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

Appropriate. It's only half the show it once was.