1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story"

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, May 5, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Fans everywhere can now download the inspiring and Muppetational documentary "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" on Amazon Video and Apple iTunes. "I Am Big Bird" will also be released on DVD this August.

For 45 years, Caroll Spinney has been beloved by generations of children as the man behind Sesame Street's Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch - and at 80 years old, he has no intention of stopping. A loving portrait of the man in the yellow suit, "I Am Big Bird" features extraordinary footage of Spinney's earliest collaborations with Jim Henson as it traces his journey from bullied child to childhood icon. And as the yellow feathers give way to grey hair, it is the man, not the puppet, who will steal your heart.

[​IMG]

If you've seen "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" please like this post and share your thoughts with fans below.

2. capman

capman Member

I had the pleasure of seeing this May 3rd, 2014 (picture in my profile) and again May 3rd, 2015 at the MOTMI. All in all, a great story told about Carol's life as the home footage as well as the behind the scene of "A Muppet Family Christmas" are the highlights for me. If I were to play critic on one aspect, it is the flowing somber music played in the back round of most of the movie, which almost gives a hollowing feeling that the next thing they are going to say is sad, which is not true.

Now, after seeing this twice, I will wait for the Blu ray with extras version (which I missed out on the Kickstarter campaign) and tell everyone to download and enjoy.

WalterLinz, WhoseLineFan and Cindy like this.
  3. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when the DVD will be released? It's On Demand from Comcast but, I need to ask my dad to buy it. And it doesn't look like it's coming to Georgia.

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Seriously? Great, I'll get to see this thing after all!

5. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I'm so happy that this is out now!

In case anyone wants it, if you were a Kickstarter and can download the film the MD5 checksum is: 5D7D1E0F91A1C56E0B88DD10935A3AAF

I'm really looking forward to the Blu-Ray!

End of July I think.

6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I don't want anyone to be shocked or something, but it seems like Caroll's only doing voices now, which explans the last few months of TV and live appearances with Matt playing Big Bird and Eric playing Oscar. See for yourself:

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    WhoseLineFan and zns like this.
  7. D'Snowth

Keep in mind: Big Bird's head is four-and-a-half pounds, and Oscar usually has to be performed in really tight and cramped areas . . . and Caroll's reached his 80s, the physical demands are probably taking more of a toll on him now than they did 40 years ago, or even ten. And he's even said, he intended to keep doing it until he wasn't physically capable of holding Big Bird's head up anymore.

As long as he's still involved with the show, then that's okay with me, and I'm sure it would be for other people as well. With all these rumors of him retiring, I think we can all breathe a little sigh of relief until now.

On note of the video, I think it's so sweet and adorable that Caroll and Debbie are still so in love with and so fond of each other after all these years.

Zappetman and sesamemuppetfan like this.
  8. SesameFever

SesameFever Active Member

I facebooked the I Am Big Bird Page It is on DVD July 7th

9. SesameFever

SesameFever Active Member

This was amazing to see the home footage and rare clips. I already knew the story from reading "The Wisdom Of Big Bird." But it is really interesting. I highly recommended it.

10. WhoseLineFan

WhoseLineFan Well-Known Member

I want to see this!

It looks so good!

11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Only a few posts? To me this is one of the biggest Muppet events of the year, next to The Muppets returning to tv. Just saw the film with my family on Amazon stream for $7, and man...what a remarkable achievement. I'm a massive fan of documentaries, particularly human interest related docs. But this was truly something special.

I think a lot of fans here might be surprised how 'real' this thing is. They definitely pull no punches, yet often Sesame documentaries do not shy away from very uncomfortable or disturbing material. (The World According To Sesame Street contained a number of graphic scenes of modern conflicts) I had no idea that Carroll Spinney and his Big Bird character was suppose to be on the ill fated Space Shuttle Challenger...that the size of big bird's suit saved his life. I found myself tearing up throughout, as it's quite an emotional roller coaster. I maybe would have rated it PG-13, but Im glad they didnt hold back on exploring things warts and all, including behind the scenes politics. It was so amazing to get to see Jerry Nelson and Frank Oz in new appearances(Im assuming this was Nelson's last known interview?) I was actually surprised Oz was in it as I know he's shied away from these type of things before. I felt emotionally exhausted by the end of it, but that's often what the best sort of documentaries do. It was amazing meeting Spinney and his wife(and Oscar!) in 2003 at a book signing, and now the whole world can see how genuinely kind they are. I also really identified with how Spinney was kind of the odd one out even when he was the main star on Sesame Street. And the footage, my goodness the footage. I was floored by the insane amount of archival footage. I can see why this project took years to make. Endless never before or rare archival footage of Big Bird...it's almost a side story within the film of the character Big Bird's kind of lonely existential journey in life. Scenes of him wandering by himself in a countryside or China evokes a stirring feeling, really powerful.
    I'm not the best at reviewing things, other that I felt I Am Big Bird(especially for Muppet fans) transcends a mere docu-drama and becomes an roller coaster experience all its own. And without spoiling anything, that ending...powerful!

My only complaint is I wish it had mentioned the passing of Nelson/Hunt/Joe/Love/etc and had more Muppet performer interviews, but otherwise fantastic. And those animated segments were perfect. Ok one more thing: I have a theory the Muppets keep ya young, as I was surprised how good so many of the principle people involved at the beginning of Sesame looked.

12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

13. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I cant wait to see it!

14. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I know right! There should be hundreds of posts by now!
    I was one of the Kickstarters, so in July I'll be getting a two disc Blu-Ray, signed by Caroll Spinney! The second disc should have lots more archival footage. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Oh may, that's so sad, but somehow lovely at the same time.

15. D'Snowth

When this is only being shown through a limited number of outlets, I doubt that hundreds of posts would be in this thread.

16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

For some reason it's only $7 in HD on Amazon(you do need a credit card) and you can watch it up to a month. Im not sure why its $13 on itunes.
    But Im pretty sure most people on here could spare $7 for such an amazing film? Plus the way the Amazon pricing works, a lot of it goes to the filmmakers.

17. D'Snowth

Yeah, but internet transactions are sketchy, it's always a big risk purchasing something over the internet. Yeah, I know there's a lot of secure sites out there, and internet shopping is "the future" (the ghosttown-esque malls and other countless business shutting down physical locations can be a testament to that), but there's still the lingering possibility of identity and credit theft should your account be compromised and your information fall into the wrong hands.

18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that since the Amazon version only lasts for so long, it's cheaper than the iTunes version, which you'll always have.

19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I'm going to see if I can catch a screening this weekend. I owe a lot to Big Bird! :wisdom:

Phillip likes this.
  20. ThePuppeteer

ThePuppeteer New Member

Does anybody know when the Netflix release will take place? Can't exactly buy it at the moment :/