Your Thoughts: "Jim Henson: The Biography" by Brian Jay Jones

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So has anybody found any known factual mistakes in this book yet?

It seems like not much from this book has been sourced onto Muppet Wiki yet. I know that some info regarding Tales of the Tinkerdee has, but otherwise I don't think any info has. And there is a thread on the Muppet Wiki forums about what to do regarding sourcing (for those who ordered digital copies).

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I have to say, this book made me feel like Jim was a best friend of mine. Brian Jay Jones is amazing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Because MuppetWiki is more accurate than the Henson Archives, right? :stick_out_tongue:

Well, the author did interview a lot of people who knew Henson, and it's possible some of the people interviewed misremembered things that we already know.

The books Jim Henson: The Works, Sesame Street Unpaved, Street Gang, and Sesame Street: A Celebration - 40 Years of Life on the Street all have their fair share of mistakes, and all those used materials from the Henson/CTW archives (Sesame Workshop does have an archive, besides the CTW Archives at the University of Maryland, right?). Though last years Imagination Illustration had very few mistakes.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I guess I'm prematurely old fashioned. I'll trust a book before I'll trust the accuracy of a fan-maintained wiki page.

MuppetGeek

Reaction score
Im getting the book. Should have it next week,i'll tell you what i think when i read it. Looks really good :smile:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I'm nearly at the "Sesame Street" chapter (and have had to really hose myself down from skipping ahead to it) and so far I'm enjoying this immensely. Jones' writing style alternates between breezy and colourful to detailed and serious when necessary - not unlike his subject matter!

I'm portioning out the biography in an interesting way, partly because of the way it was given to me.

You see, the lovely Mrs. Otter gave me Jim Henson: The Biography and Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journals for my birthday in September (which also featured a day-long Muppet movie marathon). So I've been reading a few sections of the biography and then going to the corresponding Imagination Illustrated pages. What a treat to read about Jim's early work and then shift to colorful photos and sketches of those endeavours - it's like having a living history of Jim for my very own.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
What I love about the book is how human it makes Jim. It makes me love him more. Very powerful and just an outstanding piece of literature.